Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our Kia Carens had its 3rd service today. Done by the dealer for £332.93 (ouch) but to be fair to them I had been told it was a minimum £309.00.

OH takes car in and mid morning OH gets call that front disc are worn and corroded. Also as disc's need replacing she should replace pads that are 70% worn. Cost £346.00 if done today.

Fortunately I work in the same room as my wife and she took me to the phone. Your having a laugh says I moaning about cost and pointing out the MOT had been passed 5 weeks ago and 4 weeks ago I towed a fully loaded caravan 300 miles, never noticing any problem with the brakes.

Asked for a reasonable price when OH picks up car. Reduced to £284.00.

Meanwhile I rang a local fast fit garage I use for bits and pieces £120.00 to £150.00 depending on which of two possible discs were needed. Kwik Fit £202.00 or £209.00 depending on which disc with a lifetime warranty on pads.

What do you in the know on her do (I cant fit them myself)

·
Registered
476 Posts
If you have a decent local mechanic get him to check the amount ofcorrosion, if it's not terminalyou could skim the discs on a lathethen use the remaining 30% of the padsbefore you replace.
If you need to replace then the most important fact is you must use Kia genuine parts if you wish your warranty to remain valid so your option of Kwik Fit is null & void. I bought discs & pads from the dealerthen had my local mobile mechanic fit them, sorry can't remember the cost but it was the labour rate that was the killer from the main dealer, as always!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
If you renew discs or get them skimmed always always put new pads on as the old pads will not be totally flat as the old discs will have grooves and an uneven surface across the face of the disc.
So they will not give good braking and take a while to actually wear themselves to the new/skimmed disc.
If discs are worn I would replace with a new set and a new set of pads. Make sure the caliper and pistons and are free to move and the slide pins if it is a floating caliper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sorry, am I missing something here? Is this a 3rd service on a from new car? And the disks need replacing? ........ I only ask because supacabby mentioned warranty.

Phil.
Edited by: Big Dawg

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
They may replace the discs under warranty but not pads. I had that done on the rear discs on my Rio but pads I had to pay for.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Yeh but is swanny65's carens still under warranty?

Phil

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still under warranty.
Carens was 3 years old in August - bought it Oct 2009 with a dealer supplied 5 year warranty from Oct 2009.
Why would discs be covered are they not subject to normal wear and tear.
Car has done 23000 miles

·
Registered
50 Posts
I had a mazda 6 2004 plate, had same disks on for 110,000 miles. I'll be pretty upset if my disks need replacing every 23,000! It'll be a false economy buying a Kia in the first place?

Phil.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Had my 09 Carens serviced yesterday - 50,000 miles.They had to replace the front pads for first time, cost £49.50 plus £25 labour.Discs are perfectly OK they say.
Rears are OK till next service.

total cost of service inc pads and VAT was £244 - don't think thats bad for a main dealer.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quiltman said:
Had my 09 Carens serviced yesterday - 50,000 miles.They had to replace the front pads for first time, cost £49.50 plus £25 labour.Discs are perfectly OK they say.
Rears are OK till next service.

total cost of service inc pads and VAT was £244 - don't think thats bad for a main dealer.

Cheers,

Gary
Thanks damn good for a main dealer. Makes your service about £170. We were charged £280 last year for a second service. Gonna get the OH to complain as a warranty issue

·
Registered
207 Posts
Swanny65Yup, a really good price. To be fair, the 50,000 service is an interim one so not a lot of bits need changing.

Here's the breakdown if you're interested;

Total Labour: £100.30 including £29 to remove/fit front pads.
Total parts, INC pads: £56.36
Oil Full Synthetic Castrol GTD - £47.14

All plus VAT.
I'm lucky really in that my dealer - Victor Wood of Grantham- are still only charging around £55 per hour - they are always busy and folks come from up to 50 miles around for service.

They have been KIA dealers since rover packed up -were Rover dealers for 50 years - and are now selling the chinese MG.I cannot fault them.

Oh, I also got a loan Rio for the day for £5:00!(Insurance)

Cheers,
Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
Quick comment Gary, just make sure the oil meets the standard Kia spec, not all Castrol does & wouldn't want any problems if you need a warranty claim.
Mark.

(sat on the balcony in 35c-thank goodness for the sea breeze today!)

·
Registered
207 Posts
Not sitting anywhere!

Sounds like you're enjoying your change of lifestyle Mark!
When do we get photos of the Belly Dancers?

Thanks for comment re Oil. Thats why it goes to the main dealer - if they put the wrong oil in it'll be them get sued!
The service manager did say that Kia have now approved a couple of alternative oils due to cost of the original - people were buying it from a motor factor and getting the garage to put it in!!

Don't melt away in the heat.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
476 Posts
I used Comma Syner Z, was authorised by Kia as meeting the required standard, about £40 for the 6 ltrs you need.
Yep, semi-retirment is good thanks, certainly beats thrashing around Brighton working night shifts!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
A quick update on the front discs and pads. Found a warranty invoice showing our kia had new disc'a and pads as a warranty repair last year. I must confess I dont recall being told the work had been done. Anyway we have only done 7000 miles since this repair. I contacted Kia as the dealer reused a warranty request. Here is there reply.....

Thank
you for your email about the wear on your car's brake pads and discs.

I'm
sorry for any inconvenience you've had.

During
our telephone conversation, I explained that we believe
the wear on your brake pads and discs has been caused by the general use of
your car.

We
make sure all the parts used on our cars are a very high quality, but
unfortunately, parts like brake pads and discs are constantly subject to force
and friction. Natural wear will
therefore impact how long they last.

As
we have no control over natural wear and tear we are unable to cover these
items under our warranty.

Once
again, thank you for letting me look into this for you, and if you have any
other questions in the future, please feel free to contact me.
70% brake pad were after 7000 miles??? I suspect the dealer saw us off and fitted old parts or did nothing on the previous warrant job.

Any advice on what I should do next.

Thanks

1 - 16 of 16 Posts