Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a MOT I was told that my brake pads were getting low. So I bought some on the internet.
When I came to do the job I was surprised to find springs attached between the pads (pushing them outwards).
I have never seen an arrangement like this before. Also the pads I bought (though exactly the right size) did not have a hole to accommodate the ends of the springs.
If I had taken it to a brake place would they have just tossed the springs? (I suspect so).
Anyway I drilled holes to fit the springs and put them in.
Has anybody else had this problem? Is it just Kia that uses this strange arrangement. I looked at several youtube videos on changing Kia pad and none had the springs.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. So next time I will just bin the springs. As for doing nothing they do seem to push (with new thick pads).
The holes are so small and not very deep so will not compromise the strength of the backing plate.
I used Eicher brand pads not OEM so I thought that may be the problem, but if Kia do not put the holes in replacement pads the springs seem redundant.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Eicher are at the budget end of Brake parts - I certainly would not recommend their use to anybody

·
Registered
193 Posts
Pagid from halfords are good quality ,and good on price , fitted there discs on front and are wearing well and stopping power is same as OEM ,got pagid rear pads just got fit ,did bit research and good feedback .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm quite glad I went for cheap especially as I have now drilled holes in them. That aside they work nicely - no difference to the original pads. The old pads looked like they had about 10k miles left on them I suppose as the MOT only come round once a year they may have been getting close to the metal by the next test (there must be some pads low warning - I haven't checked the manual).
Also on the MOT they said that the disc were worn (seriously after 30 k miles!). Brake disc are out in the open so it is inevitable that they get some scouring, but it does not seem to affect performance.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Do the originals not have an aloominum strip built in which starts making a nasty noise at (2mm ?) of pad remaining ??

·
Registered
320 Posts
What about brake dust? My Picanto is notorious as is every Kia I have driven. The giveway on the Kias with steel wheels is that the gloss black is a matt brown! Price for the best brake feel I have had in road cars - bread and butter ones I mean?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts