Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I wanted to use an electronic flasher unit and Amber LED indictor bulbs, but where the hell was the flasher.
FOOLPROOF WAY TO FIND IT
Remove the Instrument cluster shroud
Remove the instument panel
LOOK INSIDE THE HOLE TO THE LEFT YOU WILL SEE A SHINY NUT
This nut holds the flasher unit in place
Remove the handbrake screw and handle, remove a screw on the bottom edge just below this
The panel is only held by clips and a couple of screws along the right hand edge by the door
Drop the relay down and unplug it
Look at the base
LEFT PIN B
RIGHT PIN E
TOP PIN L
A universal Jap flasher relay for indicators will do the job its a CF13
I checked ebay these relays sell for £3.35 to £10 some the flash rate is adjustable I had a Japanese universal LED with the correct pins in my parts box.
The only fiddly bit is getting the nut back on or just tape the relay somewhere easier to get at.
Replace the clocks and shround and panel its done

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well I have been asking for a year or so and no one knew where this damn relay is, if you remove the centre facia and radio you can hear it clicking away but if you look in that holw there is a 4 " wide piece of metal work on the right of the radio hole and this relay is hiding behind it I took the clocks out after I felt for it and could feel it clicking but still could not see it!!!
Any how its now found and I recomend taking out the radio as well as the clocks so you can get two sets of fingers in to manipulate the nut back on to the captive bolt Grrrrr

·
Registered
255 Posts
Tony - sorry a bit of thread drift.
You seem to know a bit about flasher units.
Our 'other' car is a 2004 Suzi Vitara and it has an almost inaudible flasher unit,do most replacement units have an audible 'click' ? I hate having to look down at the flasher light just to check it is working and or cancelling.

rgds max

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had this problem a few year ago and found that some flasher relays have their live and Earth terminals reversed hence the CF13 for my Carens and my 2004 Alto and not the CF14 as for the clicking juts google replacement flasher relay loud click or something similar and the internet will find a noisy relay for you

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have already had a look around the net - but I just want a direct replacement with a reasonable 'click',I will have to remove the unit and check which type it is.

rgds max

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Hyundai/ Kia part number on the original relay is
38610M76G00
Hope that helps the pins looking at the base are
Left B Right E Top L which is basically Earth Live and feed to flasher switch

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The original relay being mechanical makes an audiable CLICK the electronic relays suitable for filiment bulbs OR LEDs are not sensitive to wattage and are rated from 0.1 watts to 150 watts but even these electronic relays make a CLICK sound, my carens is quite quiet because its buried high up near centre of the dash, older cars they were mostly on a fuse relay panel down near the drivers legs and then clicking was louder, the only disadvantage to using an electronic relay is that if a bulb blows the system still clicks at the same rate, ask the suzuki dealership my old Alto is cheap as chips for parts.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Thanks for the info Tony,I will have a look at the unit sometime and see how easy to get at :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts