Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I'm struggling to get a thumb drive to work.
I have a 32Gb thumb drive on which I have numerous MP3 files. When I insert it into the head unit I get 'Reading Error'.
Now I assume that the head unit is fussy about the formatting so I checked the manual where it states:
'When the formatted byte/sector setting of External USB device is not either 512BYTE or 2048BYTE, then the device will not be recognized'.
and: 'Use only a USB device formatted to FAT 12/16/32'.
So in Windows 10 I can set the File System to FAT 32 but the Allocation Unit Size (is this the same as the Byte/Sector setting?) only has options for: 8192 bytes, 16 kilobytes, 32 kilobytes, 64 kilobytes or Default Allocation Size.
Having tried various combinations I still get 'Reading Error' when I plug the thumb drive into the head unit.
Can anyone advise where I'm going wrong?
P.S. I've had other thumb drives work in the car with no problems.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I solved it. It seems that the Kia Rio head unit won't accept thumb drives larger than 16Gb. I just formatted one to the default settings which are Fat 32 & allocation size: 16 kilobytes. It works fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I did as above,it appears the names of the songs but with 00:00 timings,it just jumps to the next one and the same thing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts