Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The turn switch that operates the fog lamps doesn't appear to be working as when you turn it the switch just returns to the off position.Is there anything I can do to fix this? As I've got an MOT shortly need to sort this or I'll get a failer.

·
Registered
226 Posts
It's a while since I owned a Venga but I'm pretty sure that's working as it should. You twist the switch to turn the lights on and it springs back to the off position, you turn it to the on position again to switch them off.

You should get an indicator on the dash to show they're on. Remember that the foglights will only work if the main light switch is in the sidelamp or headlamp position.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
Agree with IanB. One small comment: On my Sportage it is not posible to turn front or rear fogs on unless the headlamps are on - side lights alone will not do it. It is possible to then turn the headlamps of, leaving the side lamps on and the fogs will remain on. The fogs go off with a second operation of the fog switch or when headlamp and side lamps are turned off. I have no idea about the behaviour when using AUTO lamp setting as I never use it (IMO they should be banned)

·
Registered
699 Posts
The above are correct. The fogs are only operable with headlights on. The switch is spring loaded to return to its starting point. It has been the same on my three Kias.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks all for your replies. I realise that the headlights need to be on but presumed that the fog switch would stay in the "on" position when operated. I also presume there is an indicator light to show there on but must admit haven't seen it.
Thanks Again.

·
Registered
4,538 Posts
There must be an indicator light for both front and rear fogs - that is an MoT fail if the tester is alert. Do the fogs actually come on?.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It doesn't appear the fogs are coming on and no indicator light on instrument panel. Don't know if they work as never have to use them. I was only checking due to MOT soon.

·
Registered
553 Posts
It doesn't appear the fogs are coming on and no indicator light on instrument panel. Don't know if they work as never have to use them. I was only checking due to MOT soon.
Does the rear fog light and dash indicator come on - usually twist the stalk switch the other way? If not I'd go looking for a blown fuse - will most likely fail the MOT if they don't work.

·
Registered
553 Posts
frount fog lights are not part of mot
Not according to this;

1. New failures
There are new failures for:​
  • daytime running lamps(DRLs) on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018
    • front fog lamps
    • reversing lamps on vehicles first used from 1 September 2009
    • light source and lamp not compatible
2. Daytime running lamps and front fog lamps
You need to check DRLs and front fog lamps on vehicles first used from 1 March 2018.​
Record a ‘major’ defect if a DRL or fog lamp does not work.​

·
Registered
94 Posts
When my car was serviced and MOT last year they found one front fog light bulb was broken. I asked if I had to have it replaced and they said no, which is strange if all lights are part of the MOT

·
Registered
553 Posts
When my car was serviced and MOT last year they found one front fog light bulb was broken. I asked if I had to have it replaced and they said no, which is strange if all lights are part of the MOT
I posted the link to the relevant Government document above - I suggest that you point your MOT Test Station to that at future MOT's. It is pretty clear ALL Lights must work correctly. Why are people so determined to avoid keeping car lights in good operational condition?

·
Registered
553 Posts
Well it did in actual fact fail on that but also on handbrake travel so it's off to KIA we go to fix.
Sorry for your pain, and hope it's a simple fix, but thanks for posting the result on the thread.

Others may now accept that ALL lights must work correctly for a car to pass the current MOT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts