Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you any ideas for keeping flies off of my Silver Sorrento. I live next door to a dairy farm and the flies leave loads of brown marks on the car - NOT HAPPY! I have bought an indoor/outdoor cover but the car needs to be clean before I can use that which is not always convenient. The cover is only light shower proof - I paid about £100 for it and am not too happy with that either!! I know what you are thinking, put the car in the garage - the garage is not large enough. If anyone has a magical solution to this problem I would be very grateful. Thanks

·
Registered
439 Posts
Get the farmer to change the flies diet. Tell him the current cow poo diet is making a mess of your car!!! We have just been to Hastings, and nearly every car, house and anything immobile is covered in Seagull sh*te, so you are probably considered to be lucky? Edited by: Oldsalt

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Clean car regulary and use a good quality polish a couple of time a year, cheaper than moving house.
Hate covers, seen many a car scratched by them when grit etc gets trapped and the wind moves the cover around.

Paul

·
Registered
235 Posts
After cleaning car wax it with a good product like High Defination from Autoglym. Then use a paint sealant and then a nano protection coating...
This will not stop the flies but it will reduce the acidity in the poo getting into the lacquer and build up a protective barrier if used every couple of months..It will be easier to wash them off..

Taff

Edited by: Dano

·
Registered
543 Posts
I've used a product called showroom shine for about 1year now it's great stuff and wipe on wipe of as easy as that and nothing sticks to it .

You can get on ideal world on tv or from greased lightning on google

·
Registered
235 Posts
We use similar products when valeting certain cars etc;
Proshine.

Freedom.

Smartwax1

They all do a similar job as they contain Carnauba waxes, Montan waxes, Polymersand Surfactants.

They are ideal for Quick Wax applications, but we do not use them as a waterless cleaner.

They will build up a good protection to the surface, as i stated earlier, a good surface sealant .

I have not tried greased lightning, but i intend to try it out.

Taff[www.taffsvaleting.com]

·
Registered
439 Posts
Do any of you guys use clay bars and would you recommend using one on a relatively new vehicle? How do I determine whether I actually need to use one?

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Used a clay bar on a Focus a few years ago with great results. Car was new but had stood for about 5 months before being delivered, it was covered with what was probably tree sap residue and no amount of washing, cutting or polishing would shift it. Garage was happy to mop it off but having seen what the typical body shop numpty achievs with a power mop I said not to bother. Bought a Meguires quick clay kit from Halfords on the recomendation of a work mate, contains clay bar and lubricant and followed the instructions carefully. Could not believe how much c r a p it took of a "new" car and how smooth it felt afterwards. Took about 2 days on and off to do the whole car, in all honesty it was only the horizontal surfaces that need doing but I found it strangely theraputic. Once finished I gave it a good treatment using Meguires Gold Class wax, best I have ever used and still use it today. Kept the car for 5 years and it looked as good as new when we sold it, actually it looked better than when we bought it.

Best way to test if its needed is when the car is clean and dry rub your fingers over the body work, it it feels smooth it probably doesn't need it, if it feels rough it does.

Paul

·
Registered
439 Posts
Cheers Paul, I will have a look at the kit you describe. Missus says I could do with being claybarred as I look rough!!!!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Meguires is the dogs dangleys there wax is superb !
The gold class is great stuff but leaves White marks sometimes use there NXT tech wax it's a much better wax they do and the shine is twice as much as gold class IMO fantasic products but only down side is price ,there clay kits are great I used on black car and was really pleased With the results . Check out meguires you tube channel great tips for there products .

1 - 15 of 15 Posts