Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Brand new Niro 4 self-charging Niro is sitting on the drive when trying to open door realized battery had gone flat. I rang kia care and RAC told me they would come out; within minutes they had rung back and said they could help me without coming out, so for anyone like me who has not read the handbook in detail this is what they told me to do. Firstly take the manual key from the fob insert in the lock to open door. When inside press the 12volt battery button place fob against the start button and amazingly it started.Was then told to go for a run to charge. This saved a lot of time and may well be useful to others as I guess with cars not being used much at the moment it could happen a lot.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I have a PHEV, but don't have this "12volt battery button" you mention. I've not experienced a flat battery, yet, fingers-crossed, but get a warning every time I start the car first thing in the day about the 12v battery discharging due to "additional electrical devices" although there are none, so am becoming a bit worried.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I don't have either the 12v battery button, nor the 12v reset button (dashboard). For these problems I have a jump-start-box.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just went through the same experience.
I discovered I had a flat battery after months of not driving so I popped the bonnet and got my battery charger out. - No battery!!
I then discovered the '12v Batt reset' button hidden away behind the steering wheel, pressed it and hey presto - car started.
Welcome to the 21st century!

·
Registered
285 Posts
some niros have a 12v battery under bonnet, the others i believe have a 12v partition incorporated in the main battery, when this goes flat you can press the 12v button which gets a boost from the high voltage side of the battery to start up the operating system.

·
Registered
3,293 Posts
My 2017 Niro has the battery under the lining on the right hand side of the boot. However there are jumper connection points inside the engine compartment..

Reactions: noublue

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Guys. Pre 18 cars do not have this preset button on the lower dash console. Instructions to jump start these cars require you to open bonnet and remove cover to fuse box on right hand side UK cars. There is a special fitting in there to connect the positive side jump lead to your slave battery ( from another car) The negative lead is then connected to a metal bracket on the left hand side of the engine, then to the slave battery negative post
Please read the Kia website instructions how to do this to ensure you do not damage any electronics.
On another note have any of you had to replace the 12volt battery ( in boot) on your cars yet. I have had lowish readings of 11.9 volts on one recently and wonder if this may be the root cause of my recent problems in starting ( 2x). The car however has then started later without me having to jump start or use a slave battery so I am not totally convinced it is my problem.
If you have replaced the battery what price was it and do try to avoid Kia as mega expensive!

·
Registered
242 Posts
To follow up on my previous note-: Does anyone know if you leave the car in live mode ie Parked but ready to drive, will this charge the 12 volt battery if left standing. I think it might since in this mode the 12volt battery shows a 14 volt reading rather than 11.9 or less. Naturally you need to leave the car somewhere secure if doing this!
The engine will also start itself occasionally to ensure the drain on the (hybrid) battery is replaced. It does this I think because the hybrid 400 v battery has a 12volt transformer to charge the 12volt battery systems and run the electrics.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi all, update on my previous report of car 2017 hybrid not starting 2x in July but starting a while later without needing external assistance!
Now I have a voltage meter device which plugs into cigarette lighter socket, I can monitor the battery ( approx anyway ) condition. I am convinced the cause of the non starts was due to low battery condition. This despite no obvious lighting dimming or dashboard shutdown issues, though I did temporarily get anti lock brake and tpms warning lights come on and then go out along with the immobiliser key symbol staying on during starting attempts.
I don't have a battery charger and since Kia recommend (battery in rear hatch location versions) need to be removed to externally charge I have not done that.
Incidentally removing the 12 volt battery on these versions is NOT easy job. It requires most of the right boot side plastic shrouding to be removed unless you have an extra long (6 inches ratchet extension) to loosen the retaining battery clamp bolts. Getting the bolts back in from above with no clearance for fingers might be tricky!
As mentioned previously, whilst it might not be recommended as long term solution , I have found that if you start the car in either EV or hybrid mode (dictated by state of hybrid battery conditions) remembering this is hybrid version, the 12volt battery is then charged by the hybrid battery and the cars engine only starts roughly every 1/2 hour to recharge the hybrid battery state to 50 or 60 %. At that point the engine of course, shuts down for another 1\2 hour or so but continues to charge the12volt battery. I know this is not environmentally good and probably not particularly good for engine wear but it does keep the 12 volt battery charge and I have had no further starting issues.
I have found that if I go for a 25 mile gentle drive thinking it will charge the 12volt battery it does not result in its condition (voltage) being as improved as you might think. This might be because the engine keeps stopping and starting from EV to hybrid mode and appears to use the 12 battery quite a lot.(judging from the voltage readings whilst driving)
These are my thoughts anyway!
h2onorth

·
Registered
604 Posts
As mentioned previously, whilst it might not be recommended as long term solution , I have found that if you start the car in either EV or hybrid mode (dictated by state of hybrid battery conditions) remembering this is hybrid version, the 12volt battery is then charged by the hybrid battery and the cars engine only starts roughly every 1/2 hour to recharge the hybrid battery state to 50 or 60 %. At that point the engine of course, shuts down for another 1\2 hour or so but continues to charge the12volt battery. I know this is not environmentally good and probably not particularly good for engine wear but it does keep the 12 volt battery charge and I have had no further starting issues.
Not only is it not good for the environment or even engine wear it will also be pretty catastrophic for your mpg which was surely the reason for buying a hybrid.

Why are you not getting your local Kia dealer to investigate and fix the issue. Your car is surely still under warranty and every Hybrid I have read about has a very long battery warranty, Toyota guarantee theirs for 15 years if you have the annual service carried out on the car.

Just checked and the battery pack is covered for the usual 7 years with a 100,000 mile limit so if Kia refuse to carry out any work refer it to the Ombudsman. If you have serviced outside the network it may affect the warranty of course.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi Back Again.
I agree with most your comments and as I said this is only a 'short term fix'. The car is booked in for a checkup but I had to wait 3 weeks due to backlog of jobs due covid.
You may have missed part of my story since in the 2017 hybrid the 12 volt battery is separate from the 400 volt unit and if this is causing the starting issues it is only WARRANTED 2years like all Kia cars. I am fairly sure now that the 12 volt battery was causing the issues and no doubt the Check up may confirm.
You might be surprised but running the car as I was temporarily, ignoring environmental issues, hardly effected mpg at all. (1mpg approx). I certainly had no plans to do this longer than necessary. A small point but what I did might actually have less effect on the environment than going for a longer but unnecessary journey just to charge the 12 volt battery!
h2onorth

·
Registered
604 Posts
You might be surprised but running the car as I was temporarily, ignoring environmental issues, hardly effected mpg at all. (1mpg approx)
Did you calculate that using the brim to brim method i.e. one tank full with no idling and the next tank full with idling to charge the battery? Or did you simply read it from the dash display which we all know lies. In truth it may be less than 1 mpg, who knows unless its done by a method that does not rely on too many variables.

A small point but what I did might actually have less effect on the environment than going for a longer but unnecessary journey just to charge the 12 volt battery!
Would have less effect on the environment if you had used a battery charger. Its what they are designed for.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts