Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Its probably my fault but would like confirmation.

My Sorento was put into my garage six days ago and when I went to it today the battery was flat, the door was unlocked. Is there some systems still running when the car is left unlocked that would run the battery down in six days? I think I may not have locked it. You will see from my previous posts that I needed to reset the clock when I bought the car, as this needs doing if the battery goes flat I am wondering if the car has a history of going flat.

Ed

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I have my battery on charge today and it is heading to a full charge, I thought I would check with a mA meter to see if there was any current being taken when the car was left unlocked but the keys out of the ignition. As I disconnected the negative battery lead the aerial started going up and down. This suggests to me that something must still be live even though the ignition is off, maybe this is what run my battery down. Any thoughts?

Ed

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would imagine there are a couple of things live with the ignition off. The radio for one would have a permanent feed as would an alarm if you have one fitted.The central locking system would have to be live otherwise the doors would not unlock with the remote. I doubt this would flatten a battery in 6 days if the the battery was in good condition but if the battery is old it could easily.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has been sat in my garage for a day now locked and I have checked the voltage, it was 12.91 volts yesterday and its 12.84 today. So thats a negligible drop and its still above the fully charged normal voltage of 12.65 often quoted. I am starting to think it went flat because it was not locked for six days. I may get a few readings of Milli amps flow locked and unlocked to confirm this.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Checked both locked and unlocked drain and they both gave 20mA so now I have no idea why it went flat!

·
Registered
543 Posts
Our sorento had issues with electric aerial that made battery flat overnight so disconnected power to it and nows fine :) take a look and see if same issue ?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I will see if I can find anything wrong with the aerial, where did you disconnect it, do you leave it up or use some other type of aerial?

·
Registered
543 Posts
We just left ariel up all the time but you can push in but not all the way I thinking was crimped on and just pull wires off we disconnected 2nd week we had it about 5 yrs ago now so can't remember :(

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
My Rio battery went flat once after being left unused for a week. However, other times it's been left unused much longerand started withoutproblems. I couldn't work out the logic to that either!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mine is fine at the moment but obviously I have some intermittent fault somewhere. What Dano says makes sense as the aerial retracts when you switch off and if it doesn't cut out once its lowered it will continue to take power, would be nice to see a wiring diagram and see if its possible to change the feed from always live to only live when ignition on first position. I just have no confidence in it now its happened once to me and the fact the clock needed resetting when I got the car makes me think its an ongoing problem. How can I get a wiring diagram?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The battery took a full day to recharge to 12.9 volts and starts the car without problems so I dont think its in a bad condition, I know that running a battery flat will damage it and therefore mine is not in 100% condition now and I will be changing it once I have confidence that this problem is resolved. 20mA will not run a battery down in 6 days and as I checked the voltage at 12.8 after 24 hours its not self discharging. Something happened to run it down and its not happening now thats the problem. I have very good electrical skills but this is an intermittent problem which is the worst kind of problem to find unless you catch it in the fault condition.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well the battery did go flat again when only left parked up for two hours one night so I have fitted a new good qualitybattery but I am still not sure this will fix the problem. I went on holiday for a week and no problems on my return but I did have a couple of boot open indications on the panel last week, opening and slamming it shut put the light off so it must be a sticking catch. What I would like to know is when you lock the car by remote with the boot not latched properly you dont get the double flash of the indicators to confirm locking, this happened to me and I am wondering if in this condition there is a drain on the battery which is not there when its properly locked as this would explain my problem. I have now WD40 sprayed the boot catch and its OK, any thoughts?

Ed

·
Registered
399 Posts
With one interior light on in the vehicle it should not discharge overnight. So what might be left on in the vehicle when the central locking/alarm is armed would not discharge the battery, especially in two hours. So ok, let's say that the battery condition is acceptable, your next port of call is the wiring. Battery connections, earth connections and most of all the starter motor connections. Check the heavy cable from the solenoid to the motor, best of all, turn the engine over on the starter and listen to any strange noise coming from the starter. Switch the engine off straight away and check the starter motor body with your hand, it should be just warm not hot!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for the reply I will check the starter next week, when I said "put the light off" I was referring to the boot not shut light on the instrument panel not the light in the boot. If I dont get a double flash from the indicators when locking with the remote because the boot is not closed is the alarm armed and more importantly is there a current draw that might run a battery down?

·
Registered
399 Posts
Yes I did understand re light, point I tried to make was that there is more battery drain from an interior light than a warning light, therefore should not drain the battery. Vehicle is locked but not armed when indicators fail to flash, there should not be any more drain than usual on the battery.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
OK thanks for clearing that up, I thought maybe the boot lock solenoid was staying energized and that was draining the battery I will have to look further. I hate these intermittent faults!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts