Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
My wifes Sportage has a totally flat battery after sitting for about 3 months during the lock down. I have a battery jumper which normally starts the car fine, but for some reason this time the immobiliser kicks in whilst im hooking up the booster and trying to start the car.

The alarm keeps sounding, and the engine will start for about 10 seconds and then cuts out - which is what i would expect with the immobiliser.

There is not enough charge in the battery to use central locking etc but the alarm stops when i close the bonnet and lock the drivers door with the key.

Is my only recourse to take the battery out and charge it, or is there some trick to stop the immobiliser kicking in whilst jumping it?

Thanks in advance
Dave

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
Is my only recourse to take the battery out and charge it, or is there some trick to stop the immobiliser kicking in whilst jumping it?
It would be prudent, as ‘noublue’ has stated, to put the battery on charge, preferably with a CTEK charger or similar. Success rather depends on the age of the battery and the extent to which it has been drained.

From your description of the symptoms, it doesn’t sound too promising but it would be worth attempting to charge it and see how it goes.

What type of battery jumper did you use in attempting to start the Sportage? I ask because I recently suffered a flat battery after a longish period of non-use. Fortunately, I was able to start my 3.5 year-old 1.7 litre diesel using a heavy-duty ‘Arteck' jumper which was 2.5 years-old and had never been used 'in anger’.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts