Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some may recall the problems I had a year ago with the battery not holding a charge. In the end I replaced the battery with a slightly higher amp hour than the original. It's been fine all through the winter. Went out to start the car today, battery dead again! A 10/15 minute charge was enough to get it started and when we were out there were no issues with restarting. I suppose it's not been used for a week and the last time I only moved it off the drive so I could get access to my back garden. I have always been suspicious of the boot light so I have now removed the connection to that. I have been wondering whether it would be worth investing in one of those power packs for starting cars. Does anyone use one?

Thanks

David

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tailgate! I've done it and lots of others too. Looks like its shut but needs slamming a bit harder. The main interior lights go off on a timer, but no the tailgate/boot/luggage space one. That stays on and you cannot see it from outside!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tailgate! I've done it and lots of others too. Looks like its shut but needs slamming a bit harder. The main interior lights go off on a timer, but no the tailgate/boot/luggage space one. That stays on and you cannot see it from outside!
You shouldn't have to slam any tailgate, there is either something wrong with the switch or the adjustment of it is off
Put the wife in the boot and close it normally and get her to tell you if/when the light goes out ....just remember to let her out:D

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
You shouldn't have to slam any tailgate, there is either something wrong with the switch or the adjustment of it is off
Put the wife in the boot and close it normally and get her to tell you if/when the light goes out ....just remember to let her out:D
LOL at that.. but not necessary.. take out the parcel shelf or fold down the rear seat on the boot light side ..go in through the rear passengers door and take a looksee.. lol your not driving your car enough Klyne..

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I have been wondering whether it would be worth investing in one of those power packs for starting cars. Does anyone use one?
Yes, I do. Because I had problems with a failing battery, I found that I was having to hook up my little magic box with increasing frequency so once I had tested the alternator output and satisfied myself that there was no parasitic drain, I replaced the battery.

I actually have two of these battery starters, one kept in each car, and I exercise them from time to time by bringing them indoors and charging phones. Given the aggravation that a non-starting car causes, whether at home or away, I would not now be without this neat solution in my car. Expensive but what price peace of mind?

There are plenty of different makes and models to choose from but an internet search will produce some test results from one or other of the motoring journals.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Yes, I do. Because I had problems with a failing battery, I found that I was having to hook up my little magic box with increasing frequency so once I had tested the alternator output and satisfied myself that there was no parasitic drain, I replaced the battery.

I actually have two of these battery starters, one kept in each car, and I exercise them from time to time by bringing them indoors and charging phones. Given the aggravation that a non-starting car causes, whether at home or away, I would not now be without this neat solution in my car. Expensive but what price peace of mind?

There are plenty of different makes and models to choose from but an internet search will produce some test results from one or other of the motoring journals.
Which one do you have.. :)

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Which one do you have.. :)
The first one, which I bought about 2.5 years ago, is an Arteck model although I don't have the model number to hand. It retailed about £70 or so when I purchased it.

When I decided to buy one for the other car, I would have bought the same again but I couldn't get hold of one so, after much deliberation, I popped into Halfraud's and picked up their 'advanced' model whatever that means. I have already forgotten the price but I think it was similar to the price I paid for the Arteck machine.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
The first one, which I bought about 2.5 years ago, is an Arteck model although I don't have the model number to hand. It retailed about £70 or so when I purchased it.

When I decided to buy one for the other car, I would have bought the same again but I couldn't get hold of one so, after much deliberation, I popped into Halfraud's and picked up their 'advanced' model whatever that means. I have already forgotten the price but I think it was similar to the price I paid for the Arteck machine.
Thanks.. so now you have told us.. maybe its a good time for others to share what they have as well come on guys get posting.. your choice might help Klyne to make his selection a little easier..

Oh look..

·
Registered
93 Posts
on the venga 4 if you use the key to lock car and boot is open it wont lock the car , but if its already locked ,and you open the boot no key needed and you dont slam it down hard enough thats where problem lies as you walk away none the wiser and that little lamps on happened to me 2 times ,so have removed bulb .

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Is there a right or wrong way to connect one of this little jump starters just like it is with jump leads..I would like to know and think it would be useful info for this thread..

·
Registered
335 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Always connect the positive terminal to the battery + and the negative to the engine or ground point & not the battery negative - terminal

·
Registered
98 Posts
check your earth straps and battery connection this sometimes stops the car from starting if the tailgate is not shut you will be unable to lock the car you will hear the locks trying to lock .but will not lock with the tailgate open. hope this helps

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Didn't use it yesterday but it did start OK today and I took it for a run. In addition to the boot light I have also removed the light in the glove box as we tend to stuff things in there so quite possible it isn't closing properly?

David

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have treated myself to one of these jump starters which will be a bit more convenient than having to get the charger out. Sod's law being sod's law maybe I won't have to use it!!!

David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts