Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Petrol particulate filter light came on about 4 weeks ago. Chose to ignore it as it was lockdown and couldn't justify a long drive at the peak of the pandemic.

Today the light started to flash accompanied by 'check exhaust system'. Decided to drive up and down the M4 and another 20-30 miles round the m25 @ 60mph but the light is still flashing.

Has the fault 'latched'? Or might another 2 hr drive solve it? 2nd time this light has come on and it's really starting to peev me off.

Worst case scenario, can I take it to my local garage to give the filter a clean?

Thx

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
Petrol particulate filter light came on about 4 weeks ago. Chose to ignore it as it was lockdown and couldn't justify a long drive at the peak of the pandemic.

Today the light started to flash accompanied by 'check exhaust system'. Decided to drive up and down the M4 and another 20-30 miles round the m25 @ 60mph but the light is still flashing.

Has the fault 'latched'? Or might another 2 hr drive solve it? 2nd time this light has come on and it's really starting to peev me off.

Worst case scenario, can I take it to my local garage to give the filter a clean?

Thx
On the diesel version the handbook states that if the light is flashing, you need to take it to the dealership for attention. I should think it would be the same with the petrol version. In my handbook is Section 4, page 85.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Ah the joys of the new petrol filters. People changed from diesel to petrol due to doing short journeys and clogging the DPF and now petrol cars are burdened with the same issue if you do low mileage!

If it is flashing it needs to go to a dealer to force a regen.

PPF/GPF's work different to a DPF too. A DPF gets burned off under power conditions (motorway driving). A PPF/GPF gets burned off under deceleration. The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 5/6k rpm and let it slow back down to 3/4k rpm and repeat. Normally through general driving this happens but if only doing sub 40mph local drives you are unlikely to be recreating this scenario.

It is also incredibly ironic that these are designed to reduce emissions and the way to clear them is to rev the nuts off them or go on unnecessary drives!

How does a GPF regenerate?

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,416 Posts
Ah the joys of the new petrol filters. People changed from diesel to petrol due to doing short journeys and clogging the DPF and now petrol cars are burdened with the same issue if you do low mileage!

If it is flashing it needs to go to a dealer to force a regen.

PPF/GPF's work different to a DPF too. A DPF gets burned off under power conditions (motorway driving). A PPF/GPF gets burned off under deceleration. The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 3/4k rpm and let it slow back down to 2k rpm and repeat. Normally through general driving this happens but if only doing sub 40mph local drives you are unlikely to be recreating this scenario.

It is also incredibly ironic that these are designed to reduce emissions and the way to clear them is to rev the nuts off them or go on unnecessary drives!

How does a GPF regenerate?

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.
Top information (y) (y)
I'll stick to my diesel, it's easier. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts