Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Petrol particulate filter light came on about 4 weeks ago. Chose to ignore it as it was lockdown and couldn't justify a long drive at the peak of the pandemic.

Today the light started to flash accompanied by 'check exhaust system'. Decided to drive up and down the M4 and another 20-30 miles round the m25 @ 60mph but the light is still flashing.

Has the fault 'latched'? Or might another 2 hr drive solve it? 2nd time this light has come on and it's really starting to peev me off.

Worst case scenario, can I take it to my local garage to give the filter a clean?

Thx

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Petrol particulate filter light came on about 4 weeks ago. Chose to ignore it as it was lockdown and couldn't justify a long drive at the peak of the pandemic.

Today the light started to flash accompanied by 'check exhaust system'. Decided to drive up and down the M4 and another 20-30 miles round the m25 @ 60mph but the light is still flashing.

Has the fault 'latched'? Or might another 2 hr drive solve it? 2nd time this light has come on and it's really starting to peev me off.

Worst case scenario, can I take it to my local garage to give the filter a clean?

Thx
On the diesel version the handbook states that if the light is flashing, you need to take it to the dealership for attention. I should think it would be the same with the petrol version. In my handbook is Section 4, page 85.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Ah the joys of the new petrol filters. People changed from diesel to petrol due to doing short journeys and clogging the DPF and now petrol cars are burdened with the same issue if you do low mileage!

If it is flashing it needs to go to a dealer to force a regen.

PPF/GPF's work different to a DPF too. A DPF gets burned off under power conditions (motorway driving). A PPF/GPF gets burned off under deceleration. The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 5/6k rpm and let it slow back down to 3/4k rpm and repeat. Normally through general driving this happens but if only doing sub 40mph local drives you are unlikely to be recreating this scenario.

It is also incredibly ironic that these are designed to reduce emissions and the way to clear them is to rev the nuts off them or go on unnecessary drives!

How does a GPF regenerate?

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.

·
Super Moderator
3,637 Posts
Ah the joys of the new petrol filters. People changed from diesel to petrol due to doing short journeys and clogging the DPF and now petrol cars are burdened with the same issue if you do low mileage!

If it is flashing it needs to go to a dealer to force a regen.

PPF/GPF's work different to a DPF too. A DPF gets burned off under power conditions (motorway driving). A PPF/GPF gets burned off under deceleration. The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 3/4k rpm and let it slow back down to 2k rpm and repeat. Normally through general driving this happens but if only doing sub 40mph local drives you are unlikely to be recreating this scenario.

It is also incredibly ironic that these are designed to reduce emissions and the way to clear them is to rev the nuts off them or go on unnecessary drives!

How does a GPF regenerate?

GPF regeneration can only be performed in “non power” conditions, meaning that regeneration is normally achieved under deceleration. Deceleration increases the amount of oxygen following through the engine and exhaust system. This in turn raises the temperature of the GPF to around 400c – 700c, igniting the soot contained within the filter.

In conditions where this is not possible, the vehicles engine management systems alters timing causing it to run lean. This “lean” burn increases oxygen and therefore GPF operating temperatures, allowing a regeneration to occur.
Top information (y) (y)
I'll stick to my diesel, it's easier. ;)

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK...

Had the car 10 days and on my way home from work tonight my PPF light came on.

The easiest way to clear this is to be in manual mode (if an auto) and where safe to do so rev up to 5/6k rpm and let it slow back down to 3/4k rpm and repeat.
So I guess it's the Italian warm up and see if it goes off... 🤔

I'll post again either way, just to update.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK...

Had the car 10 days and on my way home from work tonight my PPF light came on.

So I guess it's the Italian warm up and see if it goes off... 🤔

I'll post again either way, just to update.
As long as the check exhaust doesn't flash, I think you'll be fine. Long ish drive will sort it.

Lesson learned - don't ignore it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Update as promised.

It's only a 12 mile run, but popped him in Sport and went manual... gave him some beans, and bloody hell does he go! 😁😆

Anyway, got to work, light was still on.
Finished work and started him up, light off. So all good, I'm thinking the dealer probably used the cheapest/closest fuel and it'll take a while for the V-Power to have any effect.

I'll update again if there's any change.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Update as promised.

It's only a 12 mile run, but popped him in Sport and went manual... gave him some beans, and bloody hell does he go! 😁😆

Anyway, got to work, light was still on.
Finished work and started him up, light off. So all good, I'm thinking the dealer probably used the cheapest/closest fuel and it'll take a while for the V-Power to have any effect.

I'll update again if there's any change.
I have only used V Power or Tesco 99 and do around 1500 miles a month and mine has come on roughly every 2500 miles. While fuel may have some effect I think it's just something to get used to regardless so don't think the expensive stuff will make you immune. Never had any issue clearing mine because I do lots of long journeys so it always has plenty of time to fully heat up and clear.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK, that's good to know. 👍🏼

V-Power is just the fuel I'm used to, I've just come off 11 years of Scoobys so I much prefer to keep the motor running cleanly. I even plan our trips to Germany via Shell stations. 😆

Not tried the Tesco 99, but I'll give it a go. The only place I've ever struggled for decent fuel is Skye. 🙄

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
414 Posts
12 months and aprox 10000 miles on my 2019 Sportage T-gdi '4' without seeing any issues. Wonder if mine has a filter?
Automotive lighting Building Tints and shades Automotive exterior Electric blue

Mind you , I regularly use the gears to slow down, so maybe that's the solution sorted.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.