Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">With help from Dano and woohoo in the Newbie Forum I have just fitted Rear Parking Sensors to my new Venga. The sensor kits are cheap (£14.99 incl. delivery & VAT), remarkably consistent and really work well.

Fitting involves drilling holes in the rear bumper and finding the reversing light feed after removing the boot trim. I approached the job with some trepidation but it was not that difficult and everything went back like new. I am well chuffed with the result and even'er indoorsthinks they are good!

I have recorded the steps takenat each stage,with pictures, in a pdf file. Anyone with a faint heart and thinking of doing the same, drop me a private communication with your email addressand I will send it on.

Edited by: Derwentdale

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
eBay.There are lots for sale there at varying prices. Slightly more expensive, and more difficult to fit, kits come with LED/LCD displays,camerasandfront sensors. Have a look athttp://motors-parts.shop.ebay.co.uk/Reversing-Sensors-/75330/i.htmlMine were the fourth item down, still no rise for VAT. I am beginning to sound like a salesman.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
By the time I get my cut they will probably charge 20% more. But why do you need reversing sensors for a motor bike?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Glad you like it Joe, and hope it helps. At £15 a throw these things are a steal. Are you fitting them to a Venga?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. I have a tow bar fitted and have the experience of touching the number plate on a car behind me when reversing into a very tight parking spot - luckily no damage done. Hence my very real interest in reversing sensors!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Careful with the spacing of the two inner sensors as you don't want them reacting to the tow-bar! I read somewhere that you may need to space them a little wider than 40cm. Not sure how you experiment with that but if it didn't work out you could always use the taper washers to angle the sensors away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Clive, Emailled your concern (& mine!) to gps-ppc and got this reply."the working degree of the sensor is about 70-80 degree,
if you can fit the sensor far enough from the towbar, then the sensor will be
working fine."
A large piece of paper & my old school protractor (last seen over 50 years ago!) might be called for or some experimentation with wired sensor before actually drilling any holes. I'll post an update when I get the job done - 2/3 weeks due to more pressing committments. Joe S.

·
Registered
6 Posts
With the help of a friend, I fitted the parking sensors this week. With the tow-bar fitted it turned out to be a pig of a job as we could not see if there was anything behind the bumper at at the drill points.We dropped the rear bumper (my friend rebuilds Porsches as a hobby!) to confirm there was nothing behind the drill points. It also enabled us to tie-wrap the sensor cables to suitable anchor points. To avoid conflict with the tow-bar, we drilled two holes at 30cm either side the centre-line instead of 20cm although I think 25cm would have been enough. The sensors work well but may not see a single post directly in line with the tow-ball!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts