Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After trawling around various dealers and independants I am now considering fitting the towbar myself with a potential saving of £200, the towbar itself is no problem i have fitted loads of bars in the past but i was wondering about the electrics, I was going to get the kia harness but am not sure about fitting it namely what is required to fit it, which side are the connections on? and how do I access them?, also does the car need to go on a computer to set up the harness with the ecu to work in conjunction with the car so as to cancel reverse sensors and reverse lights when towing as some of the fitters seem to indicate or are they just trying to put me off?
The towbar would be a witter detachable flange type.

Any guidence and help would be appreciated

·
Registered
153 Posts
My fitter located virtually all the connections he wanted behind the trim on the near side of the luggage compartment. They seemed to be heading for a plug, but I don't think he actually used it. he also ran power leads direct from the engine compartment.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sid Rumpo said:
My fitter located virtually all the connections he wanted behind the trim on the near side of the luggage compartment. They seemed to be heading for a plug, but I don't think he actually used it. he also ran power leads direct from the engine compartment.

sid has any dealer said if it was't kia parts that was fitted it might invalidate your warranty?

·
Registered
153 Posts
No, and I did discuss towbar fitting with the dealer. In fact he also recommended a third party installer who wasn't using Kia parts. The firm who fitted mine reckoned they are used by several Kia dealers and they don't usually want to pay theextra for Kia electrics, having been negotiated down to a price by the customer.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i have now had my tow bar fitted, i found on kia's website they now offer the witter tow bars which is the one I wanted, so i had a flange detachable witter bar with Kia 13 pin electrics and supplemental kit fitted at the dealer . i am not sure what the supplemental kit includes as there is only one socket on the car unlike the old 12n and 12s sockets, i assume its the fridge feed etc plus they have put extra fuses in a small fuse box fixed to the side of the battery.It looked quite a bit of work it them approx 7hrs but everything was very neat. The price was £620 which was better than the local independant fitter after vat was added and that was using kia parts.

·
Registered
31 Posts
had my towbar fitted a witter detachable vertical mounted but when i hitched on the caravan the caravan seemed to be very close to the ground has anybody experienced this,it towed brilliantly but just seemed a bit low.

thanks in advance for any points

·
Registered
114 Posts
The witter vertical mount has I think from memory 2 hight setting, if you have a look where the acceptor socket is you can fit it in two positions, when I fit ours I was lucky enough to have the caravan there, so I could measure the coupling hight , may be worth having a look what setting its on.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I did my own electrics using the KIA 7N kit had to remove the rear seats and rear left panel and also run 2 wires to the battery, not too bad a job but getting rear seat out is a two handed job.

Kit from KIA

Before

After

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I found on my FE that the reverse sensors do not cancel when the car is put in reverse with the caravan hooked up,I queried this with the dealer and they said that beacause of the canbus wiring on the quote "top of the range model" it caused a fault light on the dash that would need to be switched off by the dealerso i need to manually cancel them by the dash switch, has anyone else had this problem?, also the top of the range remark would suggest other models have different wiring.

·
Registered
31 Posts
kia$torm said:
The witter vertical mount has I think from memory 2 hight setting, if you have a look where the acceptor socket is you can fit it in two positions, when I fit ours I was lucky enough to have the caravan there, so I could measure the coupling hight , may be worth having a look what setting its on.

thanks sid i have had a look and its on the lower setting i wil change it and see if it makes it better.

·
Registered
114 Posts
The parking sensors if factory fitted will not cancel with the kia wiring kit when you plug in, you have to press the dash button and all sportage 3G`s have the same wiring for tow bar kit even if they have factory parking sensors.
If you have after fit sensors then there is a lead in the kit that comes from the socket this is so you can brake the ground wire on your sensor control unit then this make`s a connection unless the trailer/caravan plug is in, then it triggers a micro switch in the socket that brakes the connection stopping the parking sensors from working until you remove the plug then connection is made and they work as normal.
I spoke to KIA technical today about doing the same with the factory sensors but the person I spoke too was clueless, so only option is to press the button, no big deal but i like things to be correct and working so may have a look this weekend and see if it can be wired into the factory sensors.

Edited by: kia$torm

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Sid Rumpo said:
I always have to turn mine off with the switch. Never noticed any "fault light" though
Yeah i assumed on fitting the kit they would self cancel, but as the dealer said if they connected the wire to self cancel it would cause the fault light

·
Registered
31 Posts
kia$torm said:

sorry kiastorm i thought it was sid that posted the pic,i have fitted it to the highest setting but looks very tight for the towing hitch (its an alko hitch that i have) to fit between the bumper i am on site with my van so don't want to disturb the van/awning so will have to wait until thursday to see if it fits,is your hitch an alko?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Yes it the alko but haven't coupled it up yet, first caravan trip with it this weekend so we may have the same problem, think i will hitch up tomorrow night and have a look, will let you know.

·
Registered
31 Posts
kia$torm said:
Yes it the alko but haven't coupled it up yet, first caravan trip with it this weekend so we may have the same problem, think i will hitch up tomorrow night and have a look, will let you know.

hi kia storm the alko hitch fits on the higher setting but it is a bit akward hitching on as it is so close to the bumper but does fit and tows brilliantly. thanks for the tip

·
Registered
114 Posts
brucie said:
kia$torm said:

hi kia storm the alko hitch fits on the higher setting but it is a bit akward hitching on as it is so close to the bumper but does fit and tows brilliantly. thanks for the tip

yes went away this weekend with ours and all level and fits fine and as you say the sportage tows brilliantly apart from 27 MPG

1 - 17 of 17 Posts