Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
November 22nd 2018 Sportage Diesel Auto 9973 miles (at time of service)

Just had first "service" cost £46. No oil/filters change in fact just a ticklist. Adblue at 50% was not topped up even (mind you they didn't replace a dud reversing light either) Any thoughts, observations and advice most welcome.

Thanks in anticipation

Rob

PS If you are wondering the car still locks itself, sometimes when I'm in it - but I was told a software upgrade will have fixed that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
Go back and kick ass..tell them get it sorted before you complain to customer services.. View attachment 5654
I have complained via email and phone. Going back isnt an option...last weeks visit involved a ferry journey of 5 hours, 3 nights in a hotel in Oban and a 5 hour return journey to the dealers plus of course a five hour ferry journey back home to HS9 xxx (edited full postcode out for security)

·
Registered
938 Posts
That was a first service, or should i say, a 12 monthly check over and as you haven`t done over 20k in 12 months the oil/filters etc aren`t touched, and as for the AdBlue top up when i bought mine new it showed just over 1/4 full, i showed the salesman and he went to the workshop to tell the guys there it wasn`t full, he cam back and said he will get me some sent to another of their local dealerships for me to collect, i never received it and had a reason to call into the original dealership and asked about my AdBlue and was told "KIA tell the dealerships as long as the tank is not empty you are not obliged to top it up FOC, if the customer insists then you can charge for it"..out of curiosity i asked how much and was quoted £2.50 per ltr..i can buy online for £15 for 10 ltrs delivered!!!

Hope this helps

Ray

·
Registered
938 Posts
Incidentally RobfromBarra, I know where you stay, did you use the dealer in Inverness as that would possibly be your closest one...and unfortunately living on an island you would be getting slammed with travel costs!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Ray for your informative reply. I actually went to Stirling - there's been a Kia presence there since January apparently. Adblue? I asked the guy on the desk specifically - Will youtop up Adblue and he replied yes of course we check and top up all fluid levels. I explained that I asked because Citroen did on the first service but not on the second .....a month later the low level warning light came on so I bought some online. I did buy some in Oban on the way back. Do you know how to access the reversing light (which isnt mentioned in the handbook at all - not even in the list of bulb wattages!

·
Registered
938 Posts
Thanks Ray for your informative reply. I actually went to Stirling - there's been a Kia presence there since January apparently. Adblue? I asked the guy on the desk specifically - Will youtop up Adblue and he replied yes of course we check and top up all fluid levels. I explained that I asked because Citroen did on the first service but not on the second .....a month later the low level warning light came on so I bought some online. I did buy some in Oban on the way back. Do you know how to access the reversing light (which isnt mentioned in the handbook at all - not even in the list of bulb wattages!
Rob download this manual : KIA Sportage Manual 2020 model and search for page 564,and scroll forward till you reach what you need

HTH

·
Registered
306 Posts
£46 is likely to be for 30 Mins Labour. Not sure you can expect much more than a quick look over.
Cheap enough to keep the 7 Year Warranty. Apart from your Ferry/Hotel Costs !!

Have they told you when your next Service is due?
Is it 1 Year from now?
Or when you get to 20K (if this is less than 1 Year)?

The Servicing required depends on the mileage you do.
Less than 12K (I think) in Year 1, you get an Inspection. More than that, it is a Full Service.
If you are doing around 10K/Year this is perfect for low Mileage Servicing.

There was someone doing around 13K/Year that had to pay for a Full Service every Year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
£46 is likely to be for 30 Mins Labour. Not sure you can expect much more than a quick look over.

Is it 1 Year from now?

Less than 12K (I think) in Year 1, you get an Inspection. More than that, it is a Full Service.

There was someone doing around 13K/Year that had to pay for a Full Service every Year.

Is it 1 Year from now?

Is it 1 Year from now?

Hi thanks for that info and I'm sure you're right about the distinction between inspection and service and I dont have a problem with that (turns out it was £42 - £35 plus vat). My grumble really is that having inspected they didn't act on what they found......or maybe they didn't inspect at all. The list of checks includes "Check lights, wiper/washers, horn &electrical systems" and "Check all fluid levels & top up as required"
Reading the rest of the list I really hope that everything did get a "check" or an "inspect" (both words are used)

Maybe they just took the car away and gave it a wash whilst I had a coffee

Anyway job done, book stamped and we'll see what happens next year.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Rob download this manual : KIA Sportage Manual 2020 model and search for page 564,and scroll forward till you reach what you need

HTH
Ah found it....it refers to "back uo" light and not reverse and says

If the Back-up lamp and Rear turn signal lamp (Bulb type) does not operate, we recommend that you have your vehicle checked by an authorized Kia dealer.
Back to square one

HTH
Found it Ray - manual calls it "Back up" and not reversing and says

·
Registered
938 Posts
Ah found it....it refers to "back uo" light and not reverse and says

If the Back-up lamp and Rear turn signal lamp (Bulb type) does not operate, we recommend that you have your vehicle checked by an authorized Kia dealer.
Back to square one

Found it Ray - manual calls it "Back up" and not reversing and says
the reason why you need to ask your dealer if you have a reversing light out is if yours is the same as mine (2018 new shape model) is because there is a "crash or crumple zone" behind the bumper and you can`t reach behind to the lower rear lights with this in place, now I have had a towbar fitted and they took this "crash or crumple zone" out cos you can`t fit the towbar in with a AdBlue tank as well, i am reliably informed you don`t need this in place as you have the towbar there instead, but you can access the lower rear lights easier from behind..mind you, not sure how you can access them from the front though!

I`m sure there is a section in that manual that tells you all the bulb wattages, I`ll take a look later and report back to you Rob 👍

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the reason why you need to ask your dealer if you have a reversing light out is if yours is the same as mine (2018 new shape model) is because there is a "crash or crumple zone" behind the bumper and you can`t reach behind to the lower rear lights with this in place, now I have had a towbar fitted and they took this "crash or crumple zone" out cos you can`t fit the towbar in with a AdBlue tank as well, i am reliably informed you don`t need this in place as you have the towbar there instead, but you can access the lower rear lights easier from behind..mind you, not sure how you can access them from the front though!

I`m sure there is a section in that manual that tells you all the bulb wattages, I`ll take a look later and report back to you Rob 👍
Hi Ray

Once I cttoned on about the "back up" rather than reversing I found the wattage listed with all the others. I'm really cross now! All that time and expense to get it serviced and I'm left with something that wasn't checked and needs dealership to fix. I think mine is the same as yours..mine is red as well! have you managed to store luggage cover under the floor - I cant with mine - I'm told its something to do with changing the floor pan to accommodate new different shaped Adblue tank
Proper fed up now

·
Registered
938 Posts
Hi Ray

Once I cttoned on about the "back up" rather than reversing I found the wattage listed with all the others. I'm really cross now! All that time and expense to get it serviced and I'm left with something that wasn't checked and needs dealership to fix. I think mine is the same as yours..mine is red as well! have you managed to store luggage cover under the floor - I cant with mine - I'm told its something to do with changing the floor pan to accommodate new different shaped Adblue tank
Proper fed up now
As you said, the luggage cover can`t stow away under the floor due to the AdBlue tank..it has a lot to answer for that tank! I leave mine in situ and always keep it pulled over, it looks tidier and stops prying eyes when it`s parked up!

Is it your reversing light bulb that has gone? I`m not sure which way the bulb would fit into the holder, whether it was in from the front or in from the back, I guess if you were to find the bulb that would give you a clue, if it`s from the rear then it`s bumper off job,if it`s from the front then that maybe accessible by taking off the front lens somehow

Yes,mine is Fiery Red colour and is a "2" spec, that wasn`t my choice to start, the wife wanted another white like the 2016 we had, the dealer said it would be another 4-5 weeks from ordering to get a white, we opted for a red as that was in stock on the day,I would have liked the blue but would have meant going to a GT Line and i couldn`t warrant the extra dosh, the "2" spec does everything I want without the fake twin exhaust, which made me laugh in the showroom when I realised it didn`t in fact have twin exhaust!

·
Registered
82 Posts
Is there an online version of what is in the handbook, for the servicing shedule of what is done each time?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts