Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gave my car the full works yesterday making it sparkle. I noticed some trim not fitted correctly. On the roof at the side of the glass, drivers side where it pops in to the top of the widscreen. Had a try at popping it back but im not going to force it.Im clumsy and will snap it! Booked into my local dealer Friday (Not where i bought the car from). Im sure its a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Same with the roof rails, the two front pieces that connect in to the main strips with the connectors, they don't quite fit flush or present themselves at the right curve angleto show a seamless bar from back to front, mine show a slight kink

·
Registered
20 Posts
Funky,Please keep us informed because I think my car has the same problem. I took it back to where I bought it and they took pictures to send to Kia but the dealership owner said he thought it would be 'in tolerance' so am now awaiting news. If it is the same the drivers side roof panelis about 5mm proud of the windscreen, other side is flush. Will try to get some photos up.
Nige

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's certainly noticeable visually. Passenger side is flush, drivers side at least 5mm sticking up. Probably more. If it doesn't get sorted I'm going to kick off! It's not acceptable. I'll let you know how I get on.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Are these the strips where the roof rack go ? I've had simular issues on my old picanto they're supported on plastic clips , I gave it a firm press and clipped back in ok but it's not advised to remove and re bed if not 100 % sure because I broke one and had to replace . So advisable to get dealer to take a looksy :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's just the other side of the roof bar in-between the roof bar and glass roof if you get my meaning. I'm sure it just needs popping in. I'm not going to try with my sausage fingers. I'm so clumsy it's unreal lol Edited by: Funky

·
Registered
216 Posts
mine was the same in same place. Just press on it firmly and you will feel it click into place

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I tried myself without success. Even pressing firmly. Took it to dealers today. Was made a coffee whilst I waited, fixed before I finished it! All sorted :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a problem with the roof rail on my car. The offside tail end was sticking up and due to poor fitting it caused the plastic part of the rail to warp, they did a warranty replacement. However due to a suspected out of line roof fitting bolt it required a bit of hammering to get it fitted snug. Job done.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I don't read about these type of fit and finish issues on the Korean built Sportage. I wonder if the Slovakian built Sportage is having more of these type of issues.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Far too many peopleI speak to who has a new model Sportage (and a couple with other KIA models) have complaints about *quality control issues - stuff that hasn't been properly fitted at the factory or not in full working order/playing up after varying amount of road use/miles/time(*same thing I guess?). One assumes the supplying dealer gives it a thorough PDI ?? or do they just flip round it and charge KIA as if full PDIcarried out(I assume KIA has to pay somewhere along the line even if by discounting the car in first place?) as many main dealers seem to be struggling to make ends meet = cost saving somewhere = cutting corners? KIA needs to take action to keep owners happy - hard earned reputations can be lost in much less time than they take to gain !

·
Registered
153 Posts
Well, here is someone who has had his Sportage for 7700 miles and has yet to find anything wrong with it (touch wood!). As I have said before, the previous car, a Mazda 6, had a number of problems, some from new, some never got to the bottom of.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I think my Sportage is the first car I've had that just has so many little niggles that it takes the shine off a little overall.

The wind noise of the sunroof has been joined now by a knocking/vibration every time I hit a lump or bump on the road....tracked it down to the metal bar that the mesh/wind deflector is attached to, taps against the sunroof!

Recently,when in 4th gear,Itake foot off accelarator, when revs dips below 2,0000 the gearstick/knob starts vibrating, sounds like a coin in an ashtray rattling around.

This is my first Kia, the build quality is not there yet, the interior materials are variable (sharpish edges on internal plastics, centre grab handle/lower doorplastic scratches just by touching it), the chrome bits on the rear windows arestuck on with bluetac as they wobble when you polish themand despite what Kia say, the steering is dangerously light.

It'sstill a great car, but if Kia want to take on VW or Ford, they really have to educate their factory workers on how to put things together properly - it seems Kia aren't designing quality into their product and just letting the 7 year warranty cover any problems.....give them another 5 years and they'll bea force to be reckoned with.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I wonder if the steering feel can be adjusted through the diagnostic eqipment software. That is if the Sportage has electric power steering. I have Vagcom software on my laptop and the appropiate lead to adjust loads of things on my Seat Leon. I can adjust the steering feel for lighter or a heavier feel. Its a crackin bit of software and tells you if they ae problems with ABS, Airbag and engine. In fact everything that is electric and runs off of ECUs.

·
Registered
536 Posts
VAGCOM is what it says Volkswagen Audi Group COM. Kia use J2534 software I think. Its available for download on the kia-hotline GSW. But I have a feeling you may need a dedicated reader. My snap-on ethos has it pre installed on one of its external chips.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The cable which Ross Tech sell you is called an interface hex-usb-can and runs the Vagcom/ VCDS software and costs £265 and is updateable and covers from 1995 to present. Which is expensive but the copies you buy off ebay are not approved by the Ross Tech software and you cannot get updates to the software and if you try to update the software it refuses the cable. Plus I've heard some dont work or only enable you into some parts of the software programme.
Would it be a similar cable you are needing to use with the J2534 software Richie ?

Edited by: davy

·
Registered
564 Posts
Another satisfied (First Edition) owner here. No problems whatsoever in 14 months of ownership although I think the lacquer may be failing on the wheels. This has been commented on before on the forum. My previous Land Rover Discovery3 had been back to the garage several times by the time I'd had it for 14 months.
Don't start knocking Land Rovers though - i've got a 21 year old Defender which is my work vehicle and has very rarely let me down!Edited by: Griffo

·
Registered
536 Posts
@davy, to be honest I'm not 100% sure. It was just some software that you are able to download from http://www.kia-hotline.com/ the snap on ethos will only use the supplied chips and snap-on issued updates which cost an utter fortune. so much so it makes more sence to sell it on eBay and buy a new updated one. It can change very aspect of the car but can't update the ECU or any other software that's installed in the car. I think for anything more in detail than that it's the cable and pc route. The site above is brilliant as it covers most uk cars and also has all the workshop and user manuals for download on there. Along with technical bulletins. Well worth a look

·
Registered
145 Posts
My gearbox rattles at the top end of third and fourth gear. I'm not a speed merchant so wouldn't expect the gearbox to complain at general use. The hollow, plasticy nature of the gearstick doesn't help. Creaky suspension and similarly noisy internal overhead fittings don't inspire but I still really like the car and am going on the assumption that these issues should not be there and will be fixed under warranty.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts