Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before ordering, whilst waiting for delivery and since owning our Sportage, I have been following the various threads / topics and various views and opinions via the Forum.

We arenearing our first months ownership and close to the first 1,000 miles in our White 1.7 ""˜3' Sat Nav Sportage. So I thought I would write a review detailing our experience. Just speaking as I find and our own views. The car wereplaced was over 10 years old, so many of the Sportage features will be ""new "" to us. <?: PREFIX = O /><O:p></O:p>Hope this is of use to any prospecive Sportage owners or others still waiting for delivery.

<O:p></O:p>Kia Dealer - Getting through to speak about ordering the car was an initial problem ! Problem with a change of Receptionists acknowledged by Sales Manager. Price £1,500 discount to list price + Superguard + Kia Mat's. Quoted delivery of Early Sept, then 22<SUP>nd</SUP> Sept. Picked it up on 7<SUP>th</SUP> Sept.3 year maintenance package as it seemed expensive, however 3 year Gap insurance (deferred for 1<SUP>st</SUP> year as Insurance policy covers ""new for old""� replacement if written off) was competitive.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Performance - Average MPG since delivery has been 43.3 MPG. Combination of short town trips, motorway 165 mile trips and country roads. 1.7 powerful enough ? Yes. Moving from a 2.0L Petrol car, this was a concern of mine. Never going to be the fastest off the mark compared to the 2.0L, but on motorway it is fine. Cruise at 80mph with 4 people on board, just 2,500 revs. Not really pushed it yet as it is new & it's not loosened up.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Spec / features- Neighbour has a Lexus and the spec was largely the same ""“ which surprised him I think. The reversing camera coupled with the rear parking assist works well. Considering the narrow back window and height of the car, this is a good safety feature. Works quite well in darkness, when the screen looks brighter than you would expect. Only standard spec that I could think of that Sportage has NOT got is a full parking assist system. Front parking sensors would also assist as it is difficult to see front of the car when parking.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Audio - FM Radio is clear, but I think lacks punch. However with I-Pod and bass settingturned up to 7 or 8 , the sound -particularly from the Sub-woofer in the boot - is excellent ! Really punchy ""“ so much so that teenage kids in the back of the car notice it ! Had no problem using various I-pod's.<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Bluetooth / Phone-Locked up once ""“ paired to HTC Wildfire, I-Pod was connected, Sat Nav in operation and music was trying to stream from my phone (not sure why). Will keep an eye on this. Removing & re-plugging the Audio fuse (top-left in fuse box) reset it. Sat-Nav did remember where we were ""“ did not need to re-programme the route. Wife has an older Samsung phone that will work but will not transfer the phonebook (think this is because the phone is not PBAP compatible). Not properly tested the voice activated dialling yet.<O:p></O:p>
Sat Nav - The topic of so much debate and displeasure. Our experience is that it has been perfectly fine. Full postcode entry is not a problem for me, the size of the screen, detail on map, voice directions, enhanced motorway junctions, volume, POI and other options etc have been fine. It even found a shorter route on a journey I have done many times. I agree with others that the lack of Traffic functionality is the biggest failing by far.<O:p></O:p>
Ride / Comfort - Transports 4 adults for long journeys comfortably. 6 foot tall passengers have plenty of leg-room in front or back. Low outside noise and not experienced any instability ""“ however weather has been good so not really tested yet. On poor road surfaces can be a little noisy (due to the 18in wheels)<O:p></O:p>
<O:p></O:p>Summary - Car is great, a pleasure to drive and very pleased with it. No regrets going for the model we did. Even the Sat Nav with the reversing camera & upgraded sound system without the Traffic function (which will hopefully come later). But really depends on whether this is a showstopper for you. Really positive comments from friends and family, car is still a head-turner and we have had people knocking on the window when parked asking us about it! The spec for the money and the 7 year warranty is excellent. I would recommend to anyone thus far.

Hopefully this is useful to any prospective buyers out there !

·
Registered
49 Posts
Woodies,Great review, sounds like its justperfectfor you. :) Thanks for posting it does show i think that in the main this car is fab.

I am still waiting, although I did have some positive vibes from my dealer today so hopefully not long now!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully you both get a delivery date soon. Ours turned up out of the blue at the end - even the dealer did not know it was arriving until it turned up on the transporter!

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
That is a useful review. Thanks.

These delivery times seem to be a bit of a lottery. My wife only ordered her orange 1.7 '3' (no satnav) last week and she got told the registration number today. All being well, she's going to pick it up next week.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts