Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I bought a Niro 2 HEV 19 plate (pre update model) at the beginning of September and I have to say that for a non exciting look, it is a great car. I’ve had hybrid cars for over 13 years now, starting with a gen 2 Prius and after 10 frugal years, averaging 48mpg over that period of ownership, I treated myself to a Lexus NX 300h, another hybrid. I loved that car, really pleasurable to drive, extreme comfort, but poor mpg. I justified the poor mpg with the thought that it’s a fairly big SUV, so it won’t do Prius mpg, but it still rankled, even for a hybrid.
For some financial reasons not relevant to this post, I sold it and wanted a cheaper hybrid replacement. I considered a Prius again, but the designers at Toyota had lowered the seats, making it harder to get out of (these things happen at a certain age 😂). Then I had a look at a BMW 2 series active tourer PHEV model, but all those had high mileage on them for what I was prepared to pay.
I also really wanted something with Apple CarPlay as standard, so that ruled out every Toyota and Lexus earlier than 2020.

Then came the Kia Niro…. not exactly the prettiest car on the planet, but it had good reviews and a decent real mpg.… and it was sort of an SUV (to me it looks like a pumped up hatchback). So, sight unseen and untested I bought one on’ tinternet. Good price, decent spec, less then 30k on the clock and not even 3 years old. Plus balance of 7 year warranty and a couple of years MOT cover if anything went wrong I’ve the next 2 years.

We drove it back from Kia Bolton, almost 200 miles and we probably averaged 75 mph on the clock and filled it up as we got home, curious to see how frugal it had been. Well it had done 57mpg on a fast motorway run, which is not too shabby at all.

I’ve since driven it 50:50 city / highway on 10 mile trips to and from work and filled it again. An indicated 64mpg in the car screen turned into 57mpg once again. Having got over the disappointment of the lower mpg than I thought I was getting, I still have to reflect that this is 24mpg better than I was getting with the Lexus.

So after short period of ownership, I can say I am well pleased with the Niro, even with all its bings and bongs and tinkles when you start up 😊. Funny oddity I found though was the car reduces the radio volume when you put it in reverse, first time I’ve come across that.

I am still fangling out how to make best use of CarPlay and I know it’s great for using Waze, but I haven’t figured out yet how to get it working seamlessly after I have answered or made a call on the phone. Bluetooth and CarPlay don’t seem to like each other very much, but I will get there…

·
Registered
2020 Kia E-Niro 4
252 Posts
Now if you'd gone for the full EV experience you would get 0 mpg, and just look smug at all the queues :ROFLMAO: The Niro is a great car, certainly as comfortable as my old Mercedes C Class. The bongs can be eliminated by clipping the seat belt first

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now if you'd gone for the full EV experience you would get 0 mpg, and just look smug at all the queues :ROFLMAO: The Niro is a great car, certainly as comfortable as my old Mercedes C Class. The bongs can be eliminated by clipping the seat belt first
I thought exactly that as I saw the numpties parking on the main road to get to the petrol station, like a load of sheep.
Thanks for the seat belt tip, I will try that tomorow. 👍

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,963 Posts
Hi,
I bought a Niro 2 HEV 19 plate (pre update model) at the beginning of September and I have to say that for a non exciting look, it is a great car. I’ve had hybrid cars for over 13 years now, starting with a gen 2 Prius and after 10 frugal years, averaging 48mpg over that period of ownership, I treated myself to a Lexus NX 300h, another hybrid. I loved that car, really pleasurable to drive, extreme comfort, but poor mpg. I justified the poor mpg with the thought that it’s a fairly big SUV, so it won’t do Prius mpg, but it still rankled, even for a hybrid.
For some financial reasons not relevant to this post, I sold it and wanted a cheaper hybrid replacement. I considered a Prius again, but the designers at Toyota had lowered the seats, making it harder to get out of (these things happen at a certain age 😂). Then I had a look at a BMW 2 series active tourer PHEV model, but all those had high mileage on them for what I was prepared to pay.
I also really wanted something with Apple CarPlay as standard, so that ruled out every Toyota and Lexus earlier than 2020.

Then came the Kia Niro…. not exactly the prettiest car on the planet, but it had good reviews and a decent real mpg.… and it was sort of an SUV (to me it looks like a pumped up hatchback). So, sight unseen and untested I bought one on’ tinternet. Good price, decent spec, less then 30k on the clock and not even 3 years old. Plus balance of 7 year warranty and a couple of years MOT cover if anything went wrong I’ve the next 2 years.

We drove it back from Kia Bolton, almost 200 miles and we probably averaged 75 mph on the clock and filled it up as we got home, curious to see how frugal it had been. Well it had done 57mpg on a fast motorway run, which is not too shabby at all.

I’ve since driven it 50:50 city / highway on 10 mile trips to and from work and filled it again. An indicated 64mpg in the car screen turned into 57mpg once again. Having got over the disappointment of the lower mpg than I thought I was getting, I still have to reflect that this is 24mpg better than I was getting with the Lexus.

So after short period of ownership, I can say I am well pleased with the Niro, even with all its bings and bongs and tinkles when you start up 😊. Funny oddity I found though was the car reduces the radio volume when you put it in reverse, first time I’ve come across that.

I am still fangling out how to make best use of CarPlay and I know it’s great for using Waze, but I haven’t figured out yet how to get it working seamlessly after I have answered or made a call on the phone. Bluetooth and CarPlay don’t seem to like each other very much, but I will get there…
It reduces the radio volume so that you can hear the reversing beeps. Most cars do it too.....

·
Registered
42 Posts
Have to agree after 18 months of ownership of a '19 reg Niro (PHEV) it's the best car I've ever owned. The only way the more "up market" cars can score over it is maybe on road noise at higher speeds but that's just a guess as I haven't tried any of them. Yesterday I had my first problem with the car. I turned it on and after the "bings and bongs" came up with the message "check brakes", and would not move, even though There was 25 miles of range in the main battery. I had been working out of the back of the car and had left the hatchback up all afternoon. After checking the brakes, (no problems) I noticed that with the back open ALL of the cabin lights were on not just the boot light, and dimly. Sure enough the puny 12volt battery was flattened. Fortunately had one of those small jump start booster packs with me and connecting that across the battery enabled the car to start.

·
Registered
42 Posts
It was strange that the computer reported a brake problem when it was just low 12v battery (almost as strange as these sites that use carriage return to post when all you want to do is start a new paragraph!). So I pass this on in case it happens to someone else. Two tips....don't leave doors open when parked and buy one of those rechargeable booster packs. Well worth their cost.

·
Super Moderator
9,472 Posts
Thanks, a bit wasted on me, I couldn’t hear the reverse beep. I find it strange though that cars do have a reverse beep audible to the driver but not to anyone passing behind.
You can hear it outside the car.

I always turn off the radio being turned down when reversing...

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,963 Posts
Thanks, a bit wasted on me, I couldn’t hear the reverse beep. I find it strange though that cars do have a reverse beep audible to the driver but not to anyone passing behind.
Have a look through the "driver assistance" buttons on the steering wheel - from memory I think there is an on/off setting there somewhere.

Reactions: Dargent
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.