Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
2020 Xceed 1.4T Edition 1
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my 2020 Xceed Edition 1 in June 2020,it was an ex demo car with only 89 miles on the clock,saved myself a few grand compared to new price.The car will be one year old on 16th March this year so I thought I get in early and book my first service on 16th March,because of lockdown the car has now covered the massive mileage of 1100 miles.
Anyway,I introduced myself to the receptionist and booked my service,all was very friendly untill I told her I would be using my own oil.She said using your own oil would "cause an issue with your warranty".I explained to her that my oil far exceeds the specifications required by Kia.She looked at me then without a word she called the manager.
It's now the managers turn to repeat what the receptionist had just stated i,e I will have a problem with my warranty blah,blah,blah.How can this be the case I asked ,when the oil I intend using is far superior to the oil you want use,let me explain.The oil I will be using is Motul 8100 X-Clean EFE 5W30 it's ACEA is rated C2/C3 and is 100% Synthetic.He then said our oil is Full Synthetic.This response is typical.I felt I needed to explain 100% Synthetic means exactly that,to clarify,the base oils used in Motul oils are synthetic and so are the additives.Full Synthetic on the other hand has a mineral base oil with Synthetic additives as are all so called Full Synthetics.
As far as I know there are only two manufacturers making 100% Synthetic oils these being Motul and Amsoil both of which proudly display the 100% logo on their cans,you won't see that on Full Synthetics.
Phew! This my first Kia Car,apart from the dealer I purchased it from,It's the first contact I have had with my local dealership,not looking good at the moment.
Despite what the manager said,I will use my Motul Oil and should the need arise I would be willing to test this in court.
Another small point I have had with the car,I use an android 8 phone connected to Android auto which if I use google maps will only fill half the screen about the size of a 5" Sat Nav.Never heard of this says the manager,why am I not surprised! Watch this space.

Super Moderator
I would let them use their own oil. You could always swop it out afterwards. Would save a lot of issues if any warranty issues crop up.

As to AA.
What phone?
Do you have power saver enabled on phone? Can cause all sorts of weird issues.

What size screen do you have on the car? If it's the 10.2, then AA will never fill the whole screen.

Registered
2020 Xceed 1.4T Edition 1
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would let them use their own oil. You could always swop it out afterwards. Would save a lot of issues if any warranty issues crop up.

As to AA.
What phone?
Do you have power saver enabled on phone? Can cause all sorts of weird issues.

What size screen do you have on the car? If it's the 10.2, then AA will never fill the whole screen.
This is for me at an rate,an expensive car which I intend to look after so no,I won't let them put inferior oil in when I can have the best.I do understand what you say it is the easy way out but I'm not that kind of fella.My Son in Law is on the bench so I ran this issue past him.He asked if this was a joke,no I told him,this is Kia's stance.That about say's it all for me.
Yes
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 8.Following a conversation with Google a few weeks ago the guy I spoke to said that this issue is common with Mercedes and Kia.The reason being that the head units are out of date ( software wise that is) A phone running Android 5 or above should not have this issue. Oh and bytheway,I never run energy saving mode,I wish it were that simple.I should have mentioned,It runs Wase just fine.

Registered
Just think about it from the dealers point of view, you are giving them a can of oil which may on the face of it be 'superior' to the Kia Spec oil with regards to what it states on the tin but how can they be sure what's in the tin unless it's come from their stores.
Worst case scenario, you drive away following the service, engine blows up and you walk back in demanding a replacement engine. Doubtful that Kia would honor the warranty as the service had not been carried out in accordance with the schedule and your only course of action is to sue the dealership who did the work.
I fully understand why the dealer would refuse your request just as I also understand your wish to have the 'superior' oil in your engine. Take a chill pill, get the car serviced to Kia Spec then drive to your friendly local service garage, hand them the can and ask them to do the oil change.
That said, is an oil change performed on the first service, thought it was inspect only.

Registered
If there was a major failure bearings etc with the engine, the dealer may have the oil analysed. when the non kia recommended oil would be found giving them a reason to refuse the warranty claim.

Registered
Purely out of interest, you clearly know you stuff but why bother for an average family car that will happily run on much lower grade oils? It's completely your choice obviously, but I am genuinely interested to understand the potential benefits (considering you will have 7yrs of grief when servicing) when there are far more powerful kia's running the oil spec kia advise.

Super Moderator
This is for me at an rate,an expensive car which I intend to look after so no,I won't let them put inferior oil in when I can have the best.I do understand what you say it is the easy way out but I'm not that kind of fella.My Son in Law is on the bench so I ran this issue past him.He asked if this was a joke,no I told him,this is Kia's stance.That about say's it all for me.
Yes
My phone is a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge running Android 8.Following a conversation with Google a few weeks ago the guy I spoke to said that this issue is common with Mercedes and Kia.The reason being that the head units are out of date ( software wise that is) A phone running Android 5 or above should not have this issue. Oh and bytheway,I never run energy saving mode,I wish it were that simple.I should have mentioned,It runs Wase just fine.
On the oil side.
Kia will have spent a lot of money on what is best for their cars. Now on 4th, 3 new & Niro ex demo, in the household and never had any issues oil wise.
I get your point you want the best for your new car. So as I said, let Kia do what they need (saves any issues) and just change it again when you get home.

On AA. I think Google are wrong on that point given you have a new car. And it will have one of the later head units. Most issues are phone related. Again all the cars e have had no head unit issues. All were related to settings on the phone. 4 different cars & about 8 different phones (HTC, Huawei & i-phones). There was a known issue with certain phones as they used a cut down version of Android that AA did not like running on.

If Waze is running fine, google map not is strange. As waze is based on google maps. So could it be a setting in google maps?
Also adding "Developer Mode" to your phone can solve display issues.

Have you tried any other phones on the head unit?

Is your head unit 8" or the 10.2 version?

Registered
I don't know the UK law but in the rest of EU it is completely allowed to bring and service your car at the dealership with the oil of your choice AS LONG as it meets or exceeds the specs recommended by the manufacturer. It's the law - so there are no ifs or buts when it comes to warranty - it's no issue and the warranty remains. I remember that "OEM parts and non-OEM parts" EU legislation when I translated it 20+ years ago for our dealers at Nissan LOL. So I was happy to bring my own oil for 1/4 of the dealer's price and had the car serviced with better stuff they have since 2001. What you have to insist upon however is for them to take a photocopy of the oil purchase bill, and also record in your service book the EXACT AND FULL description (standards included) of the oil you brought for the service. That way nobody can refute that the oil used was substandard should you have any car problems in the future. The same goes for every other service part you decide upon. The law was passed to give us - the consumers freedom of choice and to avoid any service "extortion" by the dealers - free market and stuff. So do not worry - most of the people working at those dealers are not some automotive or law experts. They just repeat what they were told by the managers without knowing the full story behind it all.

BTW guys - you don't even have to service the car at the authorized dealer. You can also do it at the independent garage and STILL keep your warranty BUT, the garage MUST HAVE an official license and training certificate for the car they are servicing issued by the manufacturer as proof that they are doing it right.

Super Moderator
Having a thought about this.
One reason many garages will not do anything like this, is due to the fact that if something was wrong with a part (faulty etc) then they are liable for all the labour to remove & replace to fix the issue.
So while maybe not a issue with oil as such, it could be that it is standard practice to say no to any parts supplied by a customer purely on the basis of the risk to them.

Imagine a customer supplying a clutch and the part is faulty. The customer can take it back to the garage to remove and replace. All of which is at garage expense. All customer has to do is take faulty part back to shop for a new one...
Crazy, but true consumer fact.

Reactions: Drwho2

Registered
Purely personal view, but how long do you intend to run this car? 100,000 miles? 200,000? mile. It is not a Toyota and has a definitive life accorded to it by the manufacturer, which will be hardly ever reached in the UK. It would achieve this mileage on oil from Wilkinson's hardware where my oil comes form after warranty ended. Now 43.000 after 10 years so not a great user.

Registered
I'd just let Kia get on with it. I don't see the need for all the hassle you'll generate for yourself and I'm sure the oil Kia will use is more than adequate.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts