Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got our first edition in silver a couple of weeks ago, done 400 miles now and very happy apart from the gears when cold, when engine is warm gears are very smooth but when car is cold 1st to second going up gears is ok but when coming down from 3rd into 2nd and 2nd to 1st it`s like hitting a brick wall it will not go in to gear, but as soon as car is warm back to normal.
Has anyone else had this?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mine isnot as bad as you describe but it can be a bit difficult when cold though i'm used to it as my 2008 titan did the same so i suppose i'm used to it as i did 22k in that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes, 1st Ed now 200 miles in, and it's been like this from start, I thought it was just a loosening up problem, but yesterday, early morning, it was frosty and as you say doing any downshift was hard, to the extent that when coming to roundabouts I was having to come toa stop before I could get into first, I was sort of hoping the gear box would loosen up a little, otherwise I'm needing to force it which can't be good surely?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Well just had look around in some of the other car forums on this site, both Soul and Cee'd owners appear to b saying much the same, gearbox very difficult when cold, so I guess it'sa more general technial issue, which from a personal pov is slightly reassuring, but still not great with the winter approaching.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ended up ringing Kia uk today, and to cut a long story short they say they don`t think it`s clutch related and it may need more miles on it`s back! but our concern is that if it end`s up needing a clutch they say that's not covered under warranty.
But as it`s been like that from new we feel a bit done off, now waiting for technical to get back to our local dealer to see if it`s a common problem and what to do next.
We wondered if with it only happening when cold if it could be a gear box oil problem (too thick)
Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
15 Posts
How can they say if it is a fault that it's not covered under warranty - surely that's exactly what the warranty is for, a supposedly mechanical failure or a part not fit for purpose!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi All not sure if you ever come accross my post from a few weeks ago saying just what everyone else is saying. The gear change is a nightmare when cold and you feel an idot when you havefriends with you in the car when your trying to change gear.
After two miles when I picked up the car from NEW the car started to jump forward when the clutch was down / depressedwhich is very alarming when your in a traffic jam. I took it back and they changed the slave cylinder saying that they had a similar problem with another KIA Car (not Sportage). Yes after two miles on the clock??

Anyway, I'm surethat wasnot the problem as just the other day I reversed the car on my drive and found that I couldn't get out of gear when the clutchwas down, it was so bad I had to stop the engine, pump the clutch and then everthing was OK.

We should keep a note on record of our problems with the engine cold.

Still love the car...... when it's warmed up...

Also someone posted a note with the rise and fall of the drivers seat and I too have the same problem that it won't stay up and that after 24hrs it need a slight pump or two? Very strange.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry to hear your both having the same problem as us, But in a way we feel better we are not alone with this problem, ours jumped forward too the other day when sat in heavy traffic so look`s like a pattern building.
Like you say though it`s such a nice car to drive when warm.
My wife rang the dealers today to see if they'd had a reply from kia but the service manager was busy, and promised to ring back but as yet no one rang back and now its after closing time so we will keep our fingers crossed for tomorrow.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quick update,Well according to our local dealership they say after speaking to kia uk they have had no other complaints about this problem so we are the only ones! There suggestion is to give it time to bed in Was a bit sceptical at first but must admit the gear change when cold is improving with mileage

·
Registered
95 Posts
I've noticed a little stiffness at times when cold, but having put a few thousand on the car now I dont notice it at all really. Only into first from second but my old mazda was the same all the time.
Slim

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi there, jusyt a brief update, KIA are collecting my car for there Tech guys to check out and see what the problem is asthe problemjust got worse when in reverse I couldn't get it out of gear with the clutch depressed so the only way to get arround this problem was to turn off the engine, pump the clutch andthis seemed to resolve the issue.This happendeda fewtime last week both 1st Gear and reverse?

I'll let you know the outcome.

Thanks

BigWeb

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear this, hope you get it sorted we were told that no other sportage owners had complained about the gears been stiff so keep us posted.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Ihad the stiff gear issue on my 07 sportage as soon as the temperature dropped.... No issue in early November, but as soon as the cold stuff hit.... very stiff between 1st and 2nd until warned up normally after ~1 mile.... am thinking of asking kia to check the oil grade in the transmission

1 - 13 of 13 Posts