Kia Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
With a difference of only 1 mm there is nothing to worry about. I would not ask a KIA dealer to rotate tyres, even though it is on the ramp anyway for the service they will charge you the book price for that job on its own in addition to the service price. All garages do this. When the time comes take it to a tyre bay and they will do it for a lot less than a dealer will ask, but by then you might be needing 2 or 4 new tyres anyway and if they are fitting tyres my experience is that the tyre bay will do that for no or minimal extra charge.
Ok so is it best to just check every few weeks and see what they look like. When would you advise that rotation should occur, when it’s at around 2mm difference?
Yeah I did think it was quite expensive for a job that would take a matter of mins as it will already be on ramp but as you say it’s prob just a set price. So if say fronts get down to 3 mm and rears are then at 4-5mm, at that point is it still worth rotating or better to replace all 4?

thank you for your asssistance.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
It's really up to you. Even a difference of 2mm would not worry me excessively but the decision would then rest on factors such as how much more life there is in them, how low you would let them go, and is Winter approaching. I rotated mune just once in their life. Was getting close to doing it again but there was probably only 2 - 3 k miles left and winter was approaching fast so I felt happier on nice fersh rubber all round to see me through the winter.. 4 new (budget) tyres came to less than £300 fitted so for me it was an easy choice.

·
Registered
292 Posts
What did you go for? How do you find them?

Sometime ago someone mentioned just having fitted Farroad tyres which were well priced. Would have been good to know how they fared with them.

·
Registered
260 Posts
My tyres. Co. Uk
Is run by Europe's largest tyre retailer. You can get the tyres sent to a tyre fitter near you, or receive them at home. Ask your favourite tyre fitters prior to purchasing what they'll charge if you come with a set of tyres purchased online.

Main advantage is that there are dozens of tyres to choose from, no need to buy a lesser known untested brand from China when there are premium brands or tyres made in a premium brand factory, available at low prices.

Point S is a brand name continental use. I have a new set on my Kia, made in hannover Germany. These are a good buy for folk who don't want to purchase online. As far as I can tell, they're as good as a conti premium contact.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
What did you go for? How do you find them?

Sometime ago someone mentioned just having fitted Farroad tyres which were well priced. Would have been good to know how they fared with them.

There is a tyre and battery place near to me (Bracknell) which has the best prices for miles around. They get huge deliveries of tyres and sell them on to other tyre bays in the area so they get seriously bulk prices. They are very professional. 5 lifts and a dedicated laser alignment bay (with it's own lift). Always a queue. I see little vans from various local garages delivering wheels and collecting ones with new tyres fitted. Have been using them for years for tyres and batteries with absolutely no complaints. Thing is I really trust these guys and I know they wouold not sell anything iffy. I have witnessed them refusing to fit tyres which a customer had sourced on the grounds that they were almost certainly fakes and they wanted nothing to do with them. For tyres I always ask for budget and don't give a hoot about brand. I currently have Comforser (Chinese - never heard of them before !). They are round and black and exactly the correct size to reach the ground !

They seem quieter than the Continentals which came with the car. No noticeable difference in handling but my days of driving on the edge are now behind me.

·
Registered
416 Posts
It's really up to you. Even a difference of 2mm would not worry me excessively but the decision would then rest on factors such as how much more life there is in them, how low you would let them go, and is Winter approaching. I rotated mune just once in their life. Was getting close to doing it again but there was probably only 2 - 3 k miles left and winter was approaching fast so I felt happier on nice fersh rubber all round to see me through the winter.. 4 new (budget) tyres came to less than £300 fitted so for me it was an easy choice.
Ah ok so it’s just a case of keeping an eye on them I guess as I believe the continentals will not last a great deal of miles (I’ve seen reports of them only lasting between 8 and 10k miles). So guess if the Treadwear between fronts and rears is not too extreme then it might not even be worth the rotation if there’s only a couple of thousand miles left in the tyres at that point?

in regards to people that have had the AWD ‘wind-up’ issue when tyre tread differences have been quite big or different tyres used which have caused the issue, is there any warning that something is amiss? E.g. does any sign come up ok dash to say AWD ia trying to engage etc?

tyre wise, I’ve seen local tyre shops sell some budget tyres for 75 quid fitted. After that, they go up to around £130+.Ive always gone with budgets as replacement tyres on my cars previously. However, reading on different sites they seem to suggest that budget tyres are not great on heavier cars such as SUV’s as could be slower to brake in wet or dry and also might not be as good for grip. Is that true? I’d be happy to replace tyres when they need to be done with budgets but if they could potentially cause car to not brake as well then I’m not sure. What’s your opinions?

·
Registered
45 Posts
"tyre wise, I’ve seen local tyre shops sell some budget tyres for 75 quid fitted. After that, they go up to around £130+.Ive always gone with budgets as replacement tyres on my cars previously. However, reading on different sites they seem to suggest that budget tyres are not great on heavier cars such as SUV’s as could be slower to brake in wet or dry and also might not be as good for grip. Is that true? I’d be happy to replace tyres when they need to be done with budgets but if they could potentially cause car to not brake as well then I’m not sure. What’s your opinions?"

All depends on your needs but if I were you I would have a look on tyre manufacturer sites as well, many offer a variety of tyres (including high performance) designed especially for SUV's.

·
Registered
142 Posts
tyre wise, I’ve seen local tyre shops sell some budget tyres for 75 quid fitted. After that, they go up to around £130+.Ive always gone with budgets as replacement tyres on my cars previously. However, reading on different sites they seem to suggest that budget tyres are not great on heavier cars such as SUV’s as could be slower to brake in wet or dry and also might not be as good for grip. Is that true?
Looking around for tyres earlier this year I was also surprised at the 'jump' from Budgets at £70 plus to ones positioned as mid range at £130 plus. Dealers I questioned about this had no answer but most when pushed didn't really recommend the budget brands. I was only interested in those with good grip and economy rating and a few openly admitted that the manufacturers could stamp any rating on them and who would be the wiser as there was no way of proving that these Chinese brands met the claimed ratings.
In the end I went for some mid range Nexens (245/45/19) at a reasonable £100 a corner, virtually budget price

·
Registered
416 Posts
Yeah that’s not too bad £100 a tyre. Not seen anything fully fitted for that price yet other than as I say the budgets. So do you think it’s better to avoid the budgets on these higher weighted SUV’s?

also still a little confused as when I was checking tyres I put my number plate into various sites. The tyres I have come up which are 245/45/19 98. But there’s only a couple of tyres that are 98. Most are 102 and have XL listed next to them and instead of W they are Y.
assume these tyres are all fine for car as well and wouldn’t cause any issues?

·
Registered
260 Posts
That's correct, no issues.
The weight rating is a minimum, so in your case min. 98.
Same with the speed rating, in your case W or "higher".
In your size it's mostly only higher speed ratings available.

However, purchase price is just 1 variable. What about Miles per £?
A tyre with a treadwear rating of 300 for £120 is better value than one with a treadwear rating of 200 for just £100.

·
Registered
416 Posts
That's correct, no issues.
The weight rating is a minimum, so in your case min. 98.
Same with the speed rating, in your case W or "higher".
In your size it's mostly only higher speed ratings available.

However, purchase price is just 1 variable. What about Miles per £?
A tyre with a treadwear rating of 300 for £120 is better value than one with a treadwear rating of 200 for just £100.
Thank you for confirming. Yes I see what you mean. When I get new tyres I think I will come away from the continentals as the wear down really quickly and most people get a short life out of them.
move heard the hankooks are ok. Any other recommendations for tyres on Sportage that are good but also doesn’t wear the tread quickly?

·
Registered
665 Posts
My tyres. Co. Uk
Is run by Europe's largest tyre retailer. You can get the tyres sent to a tyre fitter near you, or receive them at home. Ask your favourite tyre fitters prior to purchasing what they'll charge if you come with a set of tyres purchased online.

Main advantage is that there are dozens of tyres to choose from, no need to buy a lesser known untested brand from China when there are premium brands or tyres made in a premium brand factory, available at low prices.

Point S is a brand name continental use. I have a new set on my Kia, made in hannover Germany. These are a good buy for folk who don't want to purchase online. As far as I can tell, they're as good as a conti premium contact.
Black circles is by far and away the best tyre shop in the UK.
Good website, cheap prices and they include fitting.
They give you a choice of fitters near you, the tyres get delivered there and you're given an appointment.
Works great.

·
Registered
665 Posts
With regard to tyres, avoid budgets like the plague.
When you get wheelspin in a 86bhp diesel Fiesta in THIRD GEAR in the wet, you know you've made a mistake (they were 'Sunny' brand). :oops:
I'm not even sure I could fit budgets to a car I was selling, not without feeling guilty.
If budget is an issue, I'd rather buy used quality tyres than new budget ones.
I've been buying used winter tyres for years, save a fortune over new and never an issue (I get the fitters to check them)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Budget tyres are more commonly referred to as "Ditchfinders".
They're fine in the dry but can be quite scary in the wet.
I would also agree that used quality tyres are always a better buy than new budget tyres.

As for AWD wind-up for difference in tread depth - this is total scaremongering.
There is no way any manufacturer would ever release a car to market that couldn't cope between barely legal tyres on one axle and brand new on the other.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
<snip>

As for AWD wind-up for difference in tread depth - this is total scaremongering.
There is no way any manufacturer would ever release a car to market that couldn't cope between barely legal tyres on one axle and brand new on the other.
Really good to have someone on here who actually knows more about the KIA transmission than KIA thenselves and advises us to ignore the manual that comes with the car.

·
Registered
292 Posts
"As for AWD wind-up for difference in tread depth - this is total scaremongering.
There is no way any manufacturer would ever release a car to market that couldn't cope between barely legal tyres on one axle and brand new on the other."

All I would say is when your transmission has lunched itself for whatever reason, you're looking at a very expensive bill and KIa are saying youve not complied with their manuel then you can dismiss it as scaremongering.

·
Registered
114 Posts
So where is this fabled section in the manual?
As I have read mine from cover to cover and can recall no such mention of this...

·
Registered
416 Posts
So where is this fabled section in the manual?
As I have read mine from cover to cover and can recall no such mention of this...
No, no mention of it like you say but does state to ‘rotate tyres’ - I guess it’s this part that covers them as rotating the tyres as I’ve learned in here is to ensure they all wear evenly. So guess if they can tell it wasn’t done then they could put it down to owner maintenance neglect I assume.
I contacted Kia recently regarding this and they said they all need to be a minimal tread difference between tyres but seem to suggest that having tread difference of no more than 2mm on same axle. I did ask if there was more leeway then between front and rear but they didn’t have answer and advised to contact dealership.

·
Registered
665 Posts
No, no mention of it like you say but does state to ‘rotate tyres’ - I guess it’s this part that covers them as rotating the tyres as I’ve learned in here is to ensure they all wear evenly. So guess if they can tell it wasn’t done then they could put it down to owner maintenance neglect I assume.
I contacted Kia recently regarding this and they said they all need to be a minimal tread difference between tyres but seem to suggest that having tread difference of no more than 2mm on same axle. I did ask if there was more leeway then between front and rear but they didn’t have answer and advised to contact dealership.
Don't all car manuals recommend rotating tyres?
It sounds like the kind of old-fashioned nonsense advice manuals recommend.
I've not read a manual in years, might be remembering wrong.

41 - 60 of 80 Posts