Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

My Sportage has just had its second service. The tech who carried out the service said the back tyres were on the limit and there was signs of feathering on the rear tyres. Next Monday l am having new tyres fitted and want to rotate the front tyres to the rear and have new tyres on the front. The tyre fitter said that can't be done because of the tyre warning system. Also l asked about the feathering and he said the tyres are out of alignment.

Has any other member had this problem and how did they solve it.

Happy Motoring

·
Registered
205 Posts
My 1.6T AWD has shown mild feathering on the outer circumference of all four tyres (have swopped front to rear to even out wear) Not done anything about it due to its mildness, third service+MOT nearly due so hoping tyres will pass MOT ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
You can rotate the tyres no problem, my dealership does it for me to even the tyre wear. The TPMS will reset after you have travel a couple of miles.
My 1.6T AWD has shown mild feathering on the outer circumference of all four tyres (have swopped front to rear to even out wear) Not done anything about it due to its mildness, third service+MOT nearly due so hoping tyres will pass MOT ;)

·
Registered
56 Posts
just had mine swapped, DIAGONALY, BY LOCAL TYRE SERVICES GARAGE.
Kia couldnt be ar*ed to do the job at service 1 and 2.. keen enough to note fronts wearing faster than rears with measurements. No oil filter change at last service either, tho` its all ticked in the relevant box, 2YEARS OR 20K mls. oil stinks. still not my problem or car. Kia and lease company can argue it out if anything fails
anyway, back to tyres......understood they were only to be back to front ??
receptionist said diagonal as they are asymetric. the outside label is still on the outside
used to put the vectra with them, no problems.
I bow to his superior knowledge
and there was no charge
TPMS SORTED ITS SELF IN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED YARDS

·
Registered
374 Posts

receptionist said diagonal as they are asymetric. the outside label is still on the outside
and there was no charge
I'm sure someone will correct if I'm wrong but some (all?) tyres also have a direction of rotation arrow which must be adhered to. If you swap diagonally and the 'outside marker is still visible then the rotation arrow will be reversed.

This quote is from a site called 'tires-easy' (another lot that can't spell a simple word!)

Rotating Asymmetrical Tires

You can rotate your asymmetrical tires from front to back on the same side of the car, but not from one side to the other.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I enquired at my local kia dealer regarding rotating tyres at service to ensure tyres wear evenly. However, I was advised that it’s not really something that is needed and just to keep a check on tread levels but they said that generally when the fronts are due then the rears won’t be far off anyway so all 4 would get changed together. With AWD apparently they all need to be replaced at same time to ensure system doesn’t break. I’m still not sure on what’s a safe tread level difference between front and rears to avoid damage (kia did state 2mm but that does seem a small margin, what does others think?)

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Hi Guys

My Sportage has just had its second service. The tech who carried out the service said the back tyres were on the limit and there was signs of feathering on the rear tyres. Next Monday l am having new tyres fitted and want to rotate the front tyres to the rear and have new tyres on the front. The tyre fitter said that can't be done because of the tyre warning system. Also l asked about the feathering and he said the tyres are out of alignment.

Happy Motoring

Perfectly fine to move wheels about - the KIA TPMS system sorts itself out after driving it for a few hundred yards.

Correct to fit the new tyres on the front and move the old fronts to the rear.

Absolutely worthwhile to get a 4 wheel alignment check/adjust. Rear tracking is adjustable on the Sportage and mine was well out last time I put new tyres on it.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
Swapping the tyres around could only be a problem if you have AWD.
If the rear tyres have more tread than the front, they could (in theory) cause the AWD system to believe that the fronts were losing traction and activate the AWD system.
It has been mentioned on here before, and others have suffered the issue.

How much tread depth difference causes the issue is a bit of an unknown though.
I'd like to say that a few mm difference wouldn't affect anything.

As for feathering, I suffered what the garage called 'castling'. where the front of the tread pattern was slightly higher than the rear of the pattern, this gave the effect of a sound very similar to a worn wheel bearing

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Kia couldnt be ar*ed to do the job at service 1 and 2.. keen enough to note fronts wearing faster than rears with measurements. No oil filter change at last service either, tho` its all ticked in the relevant box, 2YEARS OR 20K mls. oil stinks. still not my problem or car. Kia and lease company can argue it out if anything fails
and there was no charge

IME receptionists know only bits and pieces which they have picked up on the job, and have often failed to understand properly. The "outside" marker is only interesting when the tyre is being put on the wheel - thereafter it will always be on the outside no matter which axle you put it on. Asymmetric pattern tyres have a direction of rotation marked on them so they can only be moved back to front.. If they really have rotated the tyres diagonally then all of them are now turning in the wrong direction - check the markings and if they are the wrong way round then the car is dangerous at motorway speeds and will have poor grip in the wet. If they are wrong take the car back and shout at someone.

So the real question is did the actually rotate the tyres diagonally or has the receptionist misinformed you. Check them ASP.

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
I enquired at my local kia dealer regarding rotating tyres at service to ensure tyres wear evenly. However, I was advised that it’s not really something that is needed and just to keep a check on tread levels but they said that generally when the fronts are due then the rears won’t be far off anyway so all 4 would get changed together. With AWD apparently they all need to be replaced at same time to ensure system doesn’t break. I’m still not sure on what’s a safe tread level difference between front and rears to avoid damage (kia did state 2mm but that does seem a small margin, what does others think?)
The fronts will wear quite a bit faster than the rears because in normal use the car is front wheel drive. That advice is simply dead wrong. I swap front/back at around about 10k miles and this evens the wear so you get to replace all four when they are all worn down. If you just leave the fronts on the front they will wear down to the point that the AWD starts to kick in and at the very least this will then start to wear all four tyres quickly and potentially damage the transmission. I really don't know what degree of wear difference is tolerable but I have heard/read somewhere the 2 or 3 mm figures. I can't see how to verify this and I am not about to try the experiment on my own car. It would not take rocket science for the car to learn about it's tyre wear differences and compensate the AWD trigger accordingly.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Guys

Happy Motoring
Update on the feathering. Got the car in early for new tyre fit as there was a nail in one of the rear tyres. New tyres on the front and front tyres put on opposite wheels on the back. Tracking checked and slightly out ,adjusted and the car is now driving like a dream. Expensive morning with two new tyres and balance, o the joys of car ownership. Less money for beer !!!!!!

·
Registered
3,846 Posts
Update on the feathering. Got the car in early for new tyre fit as there was a nail in one of the rear tyres. New tyres on the front and front tyres put on opposite wheels on the back. Tracking checked and slightly out ,adjusted and the car is now driving like a dream. Expensive morning with two new tyres and balance, o the joys of car ownership. Less money for beer !!!!!!
The usual tyres for the Sportage have an asymmetric tread and cannot be swapped side to side without taking them off the wheels. They must rotate in the specified direction which is marked on the side wall. I would expecct any tyre bay to know this so are your old tyres not of the asymmetric tread type?

·
Registered
665 Posts
Has the cars rear suspension a fixed geometry..solid beam axle..
Sportage is independent rear suspension, which you'd expect for the price.
Beam axles are usually on cheaper/smaller cars, to keep costs down and maximise interior space (beam axles take up less physical space than independent)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Asymmetric tyres are not the same as directional. Asymmetric means they have an ‘outside’ and an ‘inside’ which will be very clearly marked on the wall of the tyre. It is completely wrong to say that asymmetric tyres can’t be swapped left-right - the outside is still on the outside.

Some asymmetric tyres are also directional - in which case that advice would be true. These too will also be marked clearly on the sidewall, with an arrow indicating the direction they need to roll in. These are the tyres you can only move front to back. Don’t confuse the two types. Also, not all directional tyres are asymmetric. They are two completely different properties of the tyres.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The usual tyres for the Sportage have an asymmetric tread and cannot be swapped side to side without taking them off the wheels. They must rotate in the specified direction which is marked on the side wall. I would expect any tyre bay to know this so are your old tyres not of the asymmetric tread type?
Sorry Turnup . The front tyres were put on the rear as they came off the car, offside to offside, near side to near side. My mistake as l have just got off the phone with the tyre fitters. Too much sun on the old brain cells that l have left.

Graham J

1 - 20 of 80 Posts