Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody had a problem with the slidding electric doors opening of their own accord??
I have a 2010 model and on several occassions have returned to the car to find one of the doors open...

This is a great mystery and obviously very worrying ,hard tounderstand because it can't be a case of accidentally catching the fob as a fair amount of pressure is required to activate the doors!!

·
Registered
195 Posts
never heard that one, Ive hear ones that WON'T open and/or close electrically, seeing as its a 2010, Id get it back for checking asap.does this happen in one particular car park, or at various locations, it shouldnt happen, but VERY occasionally RF in the area can trigger certain things, the entry bell where I work jams remote locking if the door isnt shut properly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had same problem with new sedona 2.9TS 2007 and was back in several times as dealer would not believe fault as we returned 4 times to find offside door open. We never got explanation of fault as was repaired under warranty along with several other problems.

·
Registered
934 Posts
This is a known problem in the USA and our van, a Hyundai Entourage (AKA KIA Sedona) is going in for the recall this Tuesday.

·
Registered
14 Posts
we have had this happening on our 56 plate Sedona. twice been woken in night by alarm going off and find rear passenger door wide open. Door definately locked when leaving as always checked. Car going into garage tomorrow and not sure what they will say / try to hood-wink us with. Same door had 'other' electrical issue with these cars i.e. sticking door once open and refusing to shut and the part was changed as mentioned numourous times on this forum.

Any fixes / suggestions (although late in day) would still appreciate it so if they fob us off tomorrow, will go back to them.

Seems from above post that it is a known fault in US (and I hear from someone in the know that it is here too) but is their a recall on this issue and hence a fix?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry, I see above poster is from Galashiels but refers to the known issue in US.gtd2000 - is this adefiniterecall issue in Scotland and hence there is a known fix and at what cost?

·
Registered
934 Posts
familyfitz said:
Sorry, I see above poster is from Galashiels but refers to the known issue in US.gtd2000 - is this adefiniterecall issue in Scotland and hence there is a known fix and at what cost?
Yeah, I'm a bit of a vagabond - right now I'm in San Francisco

I'd quote the reference number in the thread given above and ask the dealer to look it up - then again the UK system may be totally different.

In my experience with KIA Dealers (Crankshaft Pulley Bolt Failure - KIA Picanto) they were virtually useless as were KIA UK...it was all eventually resolved - unfortunately, only through my persistence...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks for your responses (and email). My husband took it in for service this am and when handing them our lengthy letter plus copy of this forum, they said they thought they knew what it was. Husband explained that another part had been replaced previously when door was jamming open and the guy said it had been him that had fixed it then.

Am interested to hear what they have done but in myabsenceat the garage, will need to try to forward info to husband so he can be armed with info. Let's hope they have done as stated above (although the problem detailed in your link seems different from ours i.e. the door not staying open isn't what we are experiencing) but of course they may well be linked from what you have said. Keeping fingers x (& thanks again for help).

·
Registered
934 Posts
No problem at all :)

Try to get the information for the problem (and the solution) posted up here for everybody else to read once they fix it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Took car into garage today.Providedthem with detailed info on current problem i.e. random unlocking and opening of door despite being fully locked and alarmed upon leaving car. (Didn't have info provided above re door latch fix at this point)

Also provided details of previous problem of door jamming open whichoccurred immediately upon purchase in Feb 2011 &the info provided at the time by me thanks to this forum (""part you need is 81447-4D500 remote
controller motor detailed in TSB MB020/AS146 this details fitment and
adjustment takes about an hour to fit part price £9.34""�) -
this was used at that point to fix the problem (March 2011).
<i style="line-height: 1.4;">
[/i]
By the time my husband was due to pick car up this afternoon, we had the additional info above re door latch so he went with this ready to discuss. He was told that the current problem could be sorted with a replacement door motor costing £78.73 all in to which my husband said that had already been replaced in this door only 23mths ago. Garage guy had no answer as to why this should be required again within 23 mths (actually 18 when it started happening).

Husband raised issue of recall on door latch (as mentioned above) to which garage said it wasn't a recall, just a customer advise log. He said there were only 2 known issues, the door jamming andmisalignmentissues. He wasadamantthe fix for the current problem was a new door motor. Clearly nothing was going to be done today so it was left to be followed up.

Any comments?

Oh and by the way, we have now found that even when the power button is switched on in the car, the problem door won't operate electrically. This is a change from when the car went in as both doors would work, we just had switched the electrics off to prevent the opening issues.

As a complete aside, the parking sensors have stopped working and we have been told today that it will be the buzzer that has gone but u can't buy this as a single part so either they can try to source a second hand one & fit it or they would need to replace the whole system which in fairness he said was(cost prohibiting).

·
Registered
14 Posts
I can't seem to establish registration with Kia Official Site (mentioned in linked to forum above) which details all TSB's. Anyone advise?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hope you don't mind me
updating on the situation above (didn't want to startseparatethread
as same problem really) and need some advice ASAP.

Quick recap - own a 56 plate new style
Sedona 2.9CRDi LS

27 Feb 2011 Purchased car

11 Mar 2011 Car returned to have
several 'new to us 'car jobs done including the issue of -nearside rear
electric door sticking open

- advised on here required
part was the 81447-4D500 remote controller motor detailed in TSB MB020/AS146
which was subsequently replaced by the garage at £9.34 for the part + labour
+vat totalling £121.20 (but we didn't have to pay) (* see later)

Mar 2011 - Sept 2012 - door working
fine

Sept 2012 - on two occasions returned
to car after it being locked and alarmed to find said door wide open. Electrics
working OK but mostly operated car from this point onwards with electrics
powered off from inside switch to prevent problem. (Delayed dealing with this
due to expected costs)

13 Feb 2013 - car in for MOT / service
andraisedissue of randomly opening door. Stress at this point door
would operate electrically when powered switch on.

Response from garage was that it needed
a new Slide door motor (supplied & fitted for £78.73). We raised that this
had already been replaced to which we were told it hadn't (then he was
corrected by person working on desk who had looked it up).
Weraisedpossible latch issue referred to
inpreviousposts but he wasadamantit was the motor. Left
as was at that point to come back to them.

Since then, we have found that the door
doesn't work when electrics are on ~95% of occasions (if not more) so we
believed they have created adifferentproblem and, yes, it may need
a motor NOW!

Hanging fire on 'kicking' ass with this
garage, we have put car into another KIA garage for a second opinion and they
have said the following need replaced, neither of which come under any recall /
warranty replacement.

Part No 814404D512 PRICED AT £197.91 +
vat (REMOTE CONTROLLER) (+ see later)

Part No 814104D010 PRICED AT £47.69 +
vat (latch)

In fairness they say the latch isn't
100% ready for 'going' but it WILL go as known issue and as it is less costly
to get it replaced at same time they are recommending it. This garage also said
there was a third part to this system called the drive motor but that didn't
come into the fix for the problem.

NOW, our dilemma is.... get this done
as is in new garage & stump up or go back and 'fight' the first garage over
them making it worse (or not they will say)? (FIGHT I hear you say but read
on....

Another issue is whether the part
replacedpreviously(*) is the same part (but updated part number) as
that suggested needing replaced today (+). They both appear to have the same
name but part number differs slightly and price differs hugely. (Todays garage
didn't believe the price was for the same thing!) and what
thegaragesaid today was if it was, then it may be able to be done
under a 2yr parts warranty. We have been told to ask the first garage
fortheparts invoice for the part put in inMarch2011 (*)
so they can establish exactly what part was put in (even although there in our
Invoice for car being in)

Incidentally we were told there was no
recall relating to this (latch or otherwise) in UK and no outstanding jobs
flagged up for our car.

So, ideally should be going to first
garage and fighting but will be our word against theirs. Regardless we need to
get the partsinvoicefor that job so new garage can compare part.

In meantime, is anyone in the know
about the said part numbers? Are they same thing, just updated codes or what?
Also, any comments regarding actual parts / jobs they say need doing? Don't
trust first garage after this and other bad dealing in same 'job' last week but
if that's our route to cheaper fix then maybe we need to go there.

Need to act fast on this to within 2 yr
part warranty so any help welcome.

·
Registered
934 Posts
It's a difficult one to say one way or the other what to do.
If it's justthe door actuator then it's a fairly easy fix for a DIY guy or girl at home.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well this is my quick story of where my door would not shut. It would open fine on any control button, both handles, but it would shut. To me, it looked like the same fault as described in this thread so I bought the little motor and changed it. No change.<?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
After as much checking as I could, I took to a dealer to sort out. It turned out to be the safety edge on the sliding door had failed. Where I believed the door would not unlatch, it just tried to drive itself backwards. New door safety edge control module and everything works fine.
The tiny little plastic control module lives behind the rear quarter panel behind the air ducting and everything else in the way of getting to it. My car looked like a van on one side, nothing left in there and a horrible £550 old bill too.
Still, happy days and all that. My car now works again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts