Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
puchased carens 07 crdi ls auto at 24k.am on my fourth visit in 3 months of ownership to kia dealership.have benn told on last but one visit particle filter regeneration.last visit emu regeneration?this repair lasted one day.am now attemping 4th visit to rectify.haveing looked through this very useful forum could it be that my carens requires the particle filter replacemant?have covered 3500 miles since puchase,and vehicle has full service history and latest upgrades.i feel im being fobbed off by my local kia dealer.thanks for your help and suggestions in advance.ps i bought the vehicle after much consideration and research,however had not found this forum.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Hi, welcome to the forum & the Kia Carens ownership club!

You have found 1 of the few problems this make/model suffer from. The warning light signifies an "emission" fault, this can manifest itself in several ways. There is an ECU upgrade which does help but doesn't solve the problem completely. You can have the EGR valve replaced, again a help but not a permanent fix. Last but not least you can have the DPF (diesel particulate filter) thoroughly cleaned. This is not something all dealers do as a matter of course, it has to be asked for normally.

The clean is quite simple & involves nothing more than time. Of course this should be done by a dealer but I am informed that KIA UK no longer cover this under their warranty, something I'm in dialogue with them about, at my next service I'm going to have my private mechanic do the job, downtime is very costly in my trade!

I'd ask for the exact fault code explanation, is it uneven pressure at either end of the dpf? Or something else?

I hope you can enjoy the car for what it is, faults are irritating to say the least but in general this make/model seem to bea lot less troublesome then many others!

Mark.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
many thanks mark for your reply.the car is booked in tuesday for a couple of days.i will copy and take this with me,to make the dealer aware.was very close to px the car today,but realy like it.very frustrated since ive only owned it since august and have spent out having the step bars fitted and colour coded rear deflector.so i stand to lose a lot of money.

·
Registered
99 Posts
im lucky with my carens as i dont have a dpf but 1 thing i do believe is that the cat has to reach a very high temp to burn the emissions this can only be done by running for a considerable time at speed or revs to get the cat hot thus burning gasses and passing the correct signals to oxy censors and ecu its not just kia that have a problem there are reports in auto express of it being a problem with a quality german marque costing upwards of £1500 a time,to put right, inside the m25 being most especially a problem area as its not easy to get the cat hot

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks charlie.im just outside the m25 and tend to do lots of short journeys.average 18 mph and also very low mpg..as low as 24.on clear runs up to 42.also have reported to dealer of burning smell from exhaust area,and was told this was proberbly to do with engine/cat de-sooting its self?so what youve said makes sense.it may well be that if the problem persists then the carens is not suitable for my driving enviroment

·
Registered
476 Posts
The burning smell is the DPF doing a "regeneration", in simple terms the exhaust burning the build up of soot normally caused by lots of stop start journeys, it seems we both do lots of those! A tip for you: Just before you switch off the engine open the door, if you can feel a regeneration in progress try to run the car for 5 mins to let it finish, I've found this to be helpful & am getting less "grief" now.

24mpg is about right on urban cycle for an auto, my manual doesn't do much more but then mine works a lot harder, lots of idling (especially in this weather!) & rarely gets switched off for hours at a time.

As I said before, ask for the exact fault code description & if you need any advice on the dpf clean,let me know, your dealer should be aware of how to do it though!

Mark.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
car fixed for now,cut my losses anddecieded to part exchange against a ex-demo soul crdi.could not afford the time and risk of it going wrong as the warranty winds down,and getting caught for exspensive bills.shame but will consider the carens 1.6 crdi once the the residuals come down on the 2nd hand cars in a couple of years.and again thankyou for all your help.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Please keep in touch with the Soul, it's got the engine that will be in the Carens so am interested, my initial reservation is 124bhp from a 1.6 will be stretching things too far, some of the guys with the new Octavias are reporting problems when fully laden pulling away & Brighton is a hilly city!

Good luck, what colour Soul did you get? I love the black with black wheels, very gangsterish lol.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
silver soul2 crdi.wanted black but couldent get one.will let you know supercab,and there is a section on the forum for the soul,and all seams very favourable.again thanks for your help

1 - 12 of 12 Posts