Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Paul, re your reply on an earlier post regarding low pressure on the fuel rail and fuel pump wear.

A while ago I found swarf particles in the sedimentor which, as you point out is possibly damage to the fuel pump.

Looking at a diagram of the fuel system on one of Bruno's manuals I see there is a return from the lift pump back to the fuel tank. Also it appears the high pressure pump has only one pipe coming from it to the fuel rail and nothing going to it.

Am I right in thinking that the the hp pump only supplies pressure to the rail and not pressurized fuel.If so, the swarf should be coming from the lift pump via the return system.

Apart fromchanging the filter regularly and cleaning the sedimentor often, is there anything I can do to limit thewear that appears to be taking place.

Thanks

LCW

·
Registered
702 Posts
LongColdWinter said:
Hi Paul, re your reply on an earlier post regarding low pressure on the fuel rail and fuel pump wear.

A while ago I found swarf particles in the sedimentor which, as you point out is possibly damage to the fuel pump.

Looking at a diagram of the fuel system on one of Bruno's manuals I see there is a return from the lift pump back to the fuel tank. Also it appears the high pressure pump has only one pipe coming from it to the fuel rail and nothing going to it.

Am I right in thinking that the the hp pump only supplies pressure to the rail and not pressurized fuel.If so, the swarf should be coming from the lift pump via the return system.

Apart fromchanging the filter regularly and cleaning the sedimentor often, is there anything I can do to limit thewear that appears to be taking place.

Thanks

LCW

The swarf is getting to the filter via the return pipe to the tank and then onto the filter as you assumed. Sooner or later the pump is going to fail and take the injectors along with it meaning the diesel tank is going to have to be cleaned out. Better to either bite the bullet and buy a new pump now(if you intend to keep it) or sell it on. I did notice a new HP fuel pump for sale on ebay for around £250 the other day

·
Registered
28 Posts
I,m a little confused ( easily done)about how this fuel system works. If the fuel pump starts crumbling and squirting metal particles down the common rail into the injectors doesn't the filter capture the particles as they return with unused fuel from the rail and stops them going to fuel tank or back to rail ?. Should this be the case if you then replace the fuel pump and particules are still in the system they cannot damage the new pump as they will be trapped by filter and cannot move " upstream" to the pump due to pressure from the pump. Could you just replace the pump when it fails and clean the sediment out every day until it runs clean. Providing no permanent damage has occoured to an injector. Any thoughts , have I over simplified the problem. I have only worked with large air pumps that use carbon vanes that due to vane wear are constantly pumping black dust around a sealed system but are captured by filter and never returned to pump.

·
Registered
662 Posts
bruno1926 said:
LongColdWinter said:

Also it appears the high pressure pump has only one pipe coming from it to the fuel rail and nothing going to it.

Am I right in thinking that the the hp pump only supplies pressure to the rail and not pressurized fuel.

the HP pump has to have a supply as it supplys presurised fuel to the rail. excess fuel is spilled back into the filter head and direct to the tank so any pump problems get spread around the system

fuel is filterd on the way to the HP pump but not on its return so if you have metal in the filter then its also in the tank and lines dont waste you money fitting a new pump unless you get the system flushed because you will just damage the new pump the metal particicles are so fine that the will bleed through the filter in time you have to think of them as very small razor blades we also recomend that the fuel filter is changed at 3k and 6k afetr a pump is fitted just to make sure the system is clean

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your comments guys. It's difficult to know what to do really. I found the swarf about 2 years ago so I'm tempted to think if it was going to self destruct it would have done something by now. Presumably the feed from the hp pump to the rail would be unfiltered so whatever I find in the filter/sedimentor would be a fraction of what's being produced.
I think I'll just have tochange the filterregularly and hope for the best.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts