5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 Sportage and the heater fan is running at full speed. If I
adjust the control the display changes but the fan carries on
regardless.
Has anybody else had this problem?
can anybody tell me
where the fan control is in the car, so I can at least give it a hard
stare before I take all my money to the dealer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The resistor is probably gone on the blink, thats the part that changes the motor speed. its beside the motor, probably water ingress that has damaged it as thats the usual problem

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds likely, I've had a look today but I haven't found the motor yet does anybody know if its accessible from engine compartment or should I be taking the dashboard out?

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi,

I too have a 2005 sportage with this problem,

firstly the fan motor is below/behind the glovevbox.

the sportage doesnt have a resistor pack like older cars, it has a mosfet transistor to control fan speed. this is located in the passenger footwell, 2 screw hold it in the cabin air ducting to cool the tranisitor via a heatsink.

These transistors are prone for this problem but ive tested mine and its working fine, so ill be putting mine back together and looking to find a relay that feeds the transistor to check that.

if that doesnt work it might well be the aircon control unit, these sometimes send voltage to the transistor for control. meaning the control unit in knackered, this is an expensive item.

Im still looking into mine at the moment so thats all the info i can give, ive not access to any wiring diagrams or workshop manuals so im struggling along.

keep me posted if you find anything differnet.

cheers
paul.

·
Registered
12 Posts
hi,

Ok mine is back working for now,

What ive done,

1) removed transistor assembly, checked transistor and fuse, resoldered joints to the 3 big pins and 5 main solder points ie: transistor x3 and fuse x2.

2) My plug too transistor was partially melted, so i cleaned up connector as best i could, seperated the 3 wires going into connector as they had begun melting together ( i hope/assume this is from being on full load for extended period of time, although it should be able to cope) and just insulation taped the wires back together.

3) after finding transistor working and fuse not blown, i looked for any relay under the bonnet in the Aircon/heater circuit. Ive just given all those a tap incase the relay was stuck.

hope the pictures help,

Thinking about the overheating of the tranistor connector plug, when i bought the car with full service history, i did a service myself on all the usual parts, the cabin airfilter was thick with black dust/soot. so reduced airflow from you cabin fan might be a cause. the cabin air is used to cool the transistor. Id recommend checking your filters too see if there in good nick.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi hope I am not to late replying to this post as only purchased my 2007 Sportage 2.0 diesel XS on 27/07/ 2018.
My a/c fan will not switch off until I turn off my ignition.
Disconnected the Auto climate control unit from behind the central front fascia did not cure the problem.
When I turned the ignition on the fan worked without the a/c unit being plugged into anything.
Looked at all the fuses and relays all seemed well.
So wondered about the a/c fan resistor, problem is not managed to find it yet, have dropped passenger glove box door and found the cabin a/c filter which was clean.
I have looked at your photos, the one showing the cover with the two screw lugs, does this cover hide the complete fan assembly as shown in the last photo, as far as I have found out so far this is where the fan resistor should be inserted into the fan air flow box to keep it cool.
I love the Kia only major problem is the manuals, workshop or service as they don't cover Diesel and are all for the USA market.
Thanks for any help in advance.
Regards

1 - 7 of 7 Posts