Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

my 2008 Kia Sportage has failed its MOT due to the ABS light being on.

My mobile mechanic had taken a look at it and orignially got an error code P1767 : CAN ABS Loss of Signal H

He deemed he couldnt fix and recommended a Auto Electrical location in Southampton.

there they checked the fault codes and got a C1112 error and they tell me the ABS sensor was discharging at 5V

they also tell me there was a Code C1274 on the Longitudinal G sensor with a "range Performance error"

They contacted a local Kia dealer to get a replacement ABS sensor but were put off when the dealer told them "thats a problem with the Air Bag Sensor"

after that the Auto Electrical location washed their hands of it.

Does anyone have any recommendations how to affordably get the car through the MOT?

Thankyou

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
Does anyone have any recommendations how to affordably get the car through the MOT?
Welcome to the forum, 'Nod'.

I hesitate to answer as we may differ in our interpretation of 'affordably'. However, you have come up against one of the problems with entrusting the maintenance of your vehicle to 'my mobile mechanic' who may or may not have the means to identify and rectify the problem.

The auto-electrical location have washed their hands of it, you say; most strange!

The only suggestion I can make is to book the car into a KIA dealership and let them fix it.......with the proviso that if it is not a problem with the airbag sensor, then they pay for the parts & labour involved in not achieving a fix!

The KIA mechanics are better placed to diagnose and repair faults than almost all independents.

Reactions: Lancelot1937

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers Indalo.

Affordable, is trying to not spend too much money and have a car at the end of it.

We all know that 2nd hand car values are through the roof. So if I have no fix, I'll obviously need new car

·
Registered
2018 Sportage 3 1.7crdi, 2007 Picanto 1.1
215 Posts
Cheers Indalo.

Affordable, is trying to not spend too much money and have a car at the end of it.

We all know that 2nd hand car values are through the roof. So if I have no fix, I'll obviously need new car
Having googled the fault codes I've discovered the following; C1112 is torque sensor in steering column. C1274 is circuit malfunction in torque converter sensor that relates to traction control and 4x4 engagement. Either put the ABS light on. P1767 is a symptom of the other 2 codes and is general transmission/drivetrain fault.
Have you had any driveability problems with steering or transmission. Maybe 4x4 being on when it should default to 2x4.This would be most noticeable if doing a tight turn at low speed on tarmac. It could of course be something as simple as a loose or corroded electrical connection possibly to the torque converter housing. If you don't mind crawling underneath for a look this may possibly be a very affordable solution.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Having googled the fault codes I've discovered the following; C1112 is torque sensor in steering column. C1274 is circuit malfunction in torque converter sensor that relates to traction control and 4x4 engagement. Either put the ABS light on. P1767 is a symptom of the other 2 codes and is general transmission/drivetrain fault.
Have you had any driveability problems with steering or transmission. Maybe 4x4 being on when it should default to 2x4.This would be most noticeable if doing a tight turn at low speed on tarmac. It could of course be something as simple as a loose or corroded electrical connection possibly to the torque converter housing. If you don't mind crawling underneath for a look this may possibly be a very affordable solution.
yes, the car has sometimes felt "different" driving into parking spaces in the supermarket.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
you've reminded me, The auto electrical garage did initially mention water/moisture around a sensor under the handbrake but could not elaborate how much

they had the car Thursday / Friday / Monday mentioned this on thursday but didn't mention it again.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ive taken it to another diagnotics place and theyve told me categorically my problem is the G Sensor.

now my issue is. The local kia parts say there is no stock of that part in the UK.

any where to get a 95640-3J000?

·
Super Moderator
9,383 Posts
Could try ebay. Or Hyundai as they use the same part no.

Hope you got a deep pocket as this does not look like a cheap part new.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Ive taken it to another diagnotics place and theyve told me categorically my problem is the G Sensor.

now my issue is. The local kia parts say there is no stock of that part in the UK.

So they've checked every wire and every connector block in the circuit for loose pins, broken wires, and corrosion have they?

I would want to know that was all good before splashing out an expensive sensor.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Here we go with inbuilt obsolescence again.
Not sure what a 2008 Sportage is worth in "normal" times but when you get a sensor like this go and might only be available new at £400 + fitting, you start to think should I cut my losses and send an otherwise perfectly good car to the breaker yard in the sky.,
Even though manufacturers are supposed to supply parts for cars up to 10 years old, they aren't directed what price they can charge so a seemingly simple sensor can cost mega bucks.
My daughter got stuck in this trap last year when her Honda Jazz was showing the airbag light. It was the drivers side B pillar sensor at a cost of £185 + vat from Honda as they weren't available used.
The sensor itself is fairly simple affair but as the auto electrician said, they fail so rarely that after market doesn't exist so Honda have you over a barrel.

I think this sort of thing (perfectly good cars "killed" by by a simple sensor) is only going to get worse with cars having more and more electrical wizardry.

·
Registered
2,933 Posts
This is the problem with living in the time of the 'Throw away society'. We in the UK threw away toasters, irons, kettles and many other domestic essentials when they broke down whereas many other countries had a little old man in a small shop in every town and village who mended things for little money.

We had those guys in the UK too but we became 'sophisticated'........or thought we were, by replacing our old gadgets with new, state-of-the-art stuff and the art of the 'mender' died a death due to the lack of work.

Today, far fewer elderly cars are seen in daily use on our roads than in any previous decade - we have been conditioned to dispose of perfectly functional cars in pursuit of the dream lifestyle choice seen in full colour in glossy magazines and dedicated car mags. While we all would like to be seen as eco-aware and make the planet a better place for those who follow us, when it comes to our mode of transport, all bets are off!

Can we ever really change or are we so wedded to the idea of new cars every 24, 36 or 48 months, because having the latest, flashiest cars parked outside our houses is the most important thing in our lives?

Really, we are not very green at all. We'd just like to be seen to be because everyone knows it's important. However, having a new car every couple or three years says so much about one and that's important too......isn't it?

·
Registered
528 Posts
In the currant financial climate i think people try to repair their cars instead of throwing it away and getting another one at great expense. i've heard "its not worth spending the money on it " frequently in garages over the years sometimes this may have been true (only the owner can decide) but a lot of times the garage used it as an excuse not to do the work or they didnt have the skill or confidence to fix it. i had a passat for 25 years and when it got to the point of only being worth a few hundred of pounds, i had in my mind that if it broke i was willing to spend up to £2000 on the repair, my rational was that if i was going to get rid i would buy new so a working car for £2000 was cheap ! i always keep my cars for a long time 10 years plus usually gives me time to save up for the next.

·
Registered
797 Posts

It might be worth phoning Kiapartsdirect (Fish Brothers Swindon),they sometimes can supply items which appear to be 'unobtainable' from Kia Dealers.
Members of this forum can sometimes get a small discount,although that probably varies with item types.
They do not list everything on their website - so if any item does not appear on website - definitely worth a call.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts