Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Due to take my car into the dealers on Monday, as the check exhaust system light keeps coming on, now I get it that it might come on when in traffic, but it the last two times it has come on, I have been on the motorway doing a journey of over 100 miles, I try to keep the revs at around 2000 as I told my drive alive instructor when this happened before, and he told me to do this, and I thought the problem was solved. The car has only done 19500 miles.
Also the light never goes off until I turn the engine off and restart it, in my previous diesel cars, the light went off after a 20 minute run on the motorway.

Love the car apart from this annoying issue.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Due to take my car into the dealers on Monday, as the check exhaust system light keeps coming on, now I get it that it might come on when in traffic, but it the last two times it has come on, I have been on the motorway doing a journey of over 100 miles, I try to keep the revs at around 2000 as I told my drive alive instructor when this happened before, and he told me to do this, and I thought the problem was solved. The car has only done 19500 miles.
Also the light never goes off until I turn the engine off and restart it, in my previous diesel cars, the light went off after a 20 minute run on the motorway.

Love the car apart from this annoying issue.
Just wondering if you ever got this solved?

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Just wondering if you ever got this solved?
That was the OP’s solitary post, ’Tommo21’ and it was 13 months ago. I shall be surprised if you receive a reply but sometimes it happens.:unsure:

·
Registered
290 Posts
That was the OP’s solitary post, ’Tommo21’ and it was 13 months ago. I shall be surprised if you receive a reply but sometimes it happens.:unsure:
😊😊 You never know.

I've actually searched the forum and found a couple of related threads - all pointing to DPF issue/need for cleaning or replacement.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Need to trash the car up the motorway for 30 minutes to clear the DPF, bearing in mind to keep within the speed limits.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Need to trash the car up the motorway for 30 minutes to clear the DPF, bearing in mind to keep within the speed limits.
Agreed. Unfortunately it still recurs. The occurrences are consistent though, normally half an hour into a long journey on 60mph speed limit roads and I normally do drive right up to the speed limits, conditions permitting.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Keep the car in a lower gear 3rd or 4th so the revs are maintained above 3000 rpm for a good 30 mins, if the DPF is clogged this may clear it , if not you can get the car into a garage and the will de coke it for you.

·
Registered
290 Posts
120 mile journey today in sport mode. DPF warning light came on after about 100 miles. On this occasion a fault code has been logged - P2003 which I believe indicates "DPF efficiency has dropped below given threshold for Bank 2"

Double dutch to me, so time to involve dealer I believe

DPF Fault Code 14 September 2020.jpg

DPF Warning Light 14 September 2020.jpg

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
Double dutch to me, so time to involve dealer I believe
I think that’s the best chance of having the excessive gunk expunged at no charge under warranty.

It interests me to know whether the later 1.6 diesels are afflicted with this nuisance fault more than the earlier 1.7 diesels. I’m thinking particularly about the numbers of 1.6 diesels compared to the 1.7s used widely on the Sportage and Optima models.

Perhaps I have been lucky with mine but so far, it hasn’t occurred on my Optima.🤞 Having said that, I just had my first puncture this week; fortunately, only a slow one.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Interesting and helpful response from dealer this morning by email.

The solution is to continue driving whilst the DPF warning light is on as this is an indication that the regeneration process is taking place. Once the process is complete, the warning light should go off.

The dealer also stated that it was their preference not to carry out "forced regens" as this puts unnecessary strain and pressure on the engine.

Well at least I know know to continue driving when the warning light appears!

I'm not sure I can answer your question Indalo on the matter of 1.6 v 1.7 engines but the dealer did comment that they were dealing with a larger than normal number of DPF questions from their Kia customers presumably as a result to cars doing much shorter journies during the Covid crisis.

·
Registered
841 Posts
It's not an issue I've seen on either of the 2.0 litre Sporatges I have had/got, to date I haven't had a single DPF Regen warning. Sods law probably means I'll get one next week :) We used to get them at regular intervals on our previous Vauxhalls.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts