Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

We have just purchased a 2003 Carens 2.0CRDI and it is great apart from what I think is a blowing exhaust. I have had it back to to place I bought it from for them to look at it but they can't find anything wrong and I even looked under the car when they had it up on the ramps and sure enough the exhaust looked in very good condition and we couldn't detect any blowing. The thing is it only appears to happen at around 1500-2000 rpm when under load where you can quite distinctly hear a very loud blowing noise, there is no vibrations to be felt just this loud noise. I am now wondering whether it could be the exhaust manifold before the turbo as around 1500rpm is when it comes on boost and the exhaust turbine gas pressure would be at maximum in theory.

Has anyone else experienced this and can confirm the root cause, any help would be most appreciated before my warrenty runs out on the car.

Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hi Aceman, This may be of no help at all, but I had to have 2 new silencers fitted to my Carens while under warranty. The fault was noticed, a bit like yours, only when the car was worked, i.e., under acceleration. My local dealer was very good and diagnosed a faulty fold/seal where the two pieces of the silencer (top & bottom) meet, thats about in the centre (horizontally) of the silencer. This lack of seal was not noticeable on tick over, or under no load. I was told that the quality of the silencers was questionable.
Cheers, Gasman.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had similar problem and returned vehicle to dealer who discovered that the clips holding the air cleaner together had sprung loose so that under load air was being taken straight in not via the filter and caused the noise like the exhaust manifold was blowing.Worth a check

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I resolved the problem by selling the car !

There were a few other problems creeping in with finally the engine check light coming on and running really rough so thought time to go. Got a Renault Grand Scenic in its place and not looked back since, long time ago now though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts