Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks,

I have problems with my Picanto TA from 2012 as the title says. I do not drive long distances, mostly less than 50 km a day and not even every day. One day I noticed a grey-blue smoke when starting the engine after some time (it does not happen every time, only after ~1 day of staying idle), then acceleration issues appeared. As I later found out, when the oil level becomes low enough, sometimes even though I try to accelerate, it just does not happen, the car does not accelerate at all. After switching gears (it does not matter whether into lower or higher) acceleration returns to normal. Also important to mention that the car uses too much oil. I have to refill it after less then 500 km.

I do not have any guarantee left so I took the car to a non-Kia mechanic who said that the engine oil is leaking into the catalytic converter which then burns the oil, hence the smoke and the acceleration issues. He told me that he would have to take the whole engine apart to find what causes the issue and that it is probably not worth it (sigh), so here I am.

Did someone encounter something similar to this set of issues or could help me in any way?

EDITED: the smoke is not grey-white but grey-blue, the car has no turbo.

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
I can think of two possibilities.

Turbo bearing seal failure

Worn piston rings

A compressin test might give a clue,.

What;s the mileage?

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
If engine oil is getting into the cat than the cat will be stuffed. It is difficult for me to understand how this could be happening since there is no direct path to the cat (which is in the exhaust) from the engine without going through the combustion chamber, where it ill be burnt there. The only other way I can think of is oil leaking from the turbo bearing on the exhaust side but I am pretty sure you would have other symptoms. I think I would take the car elsewhere since this sounds like BS. Did he not perform a compression test?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If engine oil is getting into the cat than the cat will be stuffed. It is difficult for me to understand how this could be happening since there is no direct path to the cat (which is in the exhaust) from the engine without going through the combustion chamber, where it ill be burnt there. The only other way I can think of is oil leaking from the turbo bearing on the exhaust side but I am pretty sure you would have other symptoms. I think I would take the car elsewhere since this sounds like BS. Did he not perform a compression test?
I have pretty much no knowledge on how a car and its engine look like, which connect to what etc. but his explanation seemed at least reasonable. The oil is used up (e.g. it does not leak into the ground while standing) and he explained that shifting gears increases the rpm which in turn burns the oil and solves the acceleration issue. And the smoke does come from the exhaust and no other fluid is leaking. But again, just because it seems plausible to me it does not mean that it is the truth.
What could the compression test reveal?

·
Banned
5,229 Posts
Compression test will allow an assessment of the health of the piston rings and bores. If it is not holding pressure then engine oil can bypass into the combustion chamber which creates smoke.

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Could simply be condensation burning off out of the exhaust. Given you park the car and it is HOT, it then cools creating water inside, which is then turned back to steam as the hot gases from the engine run through.

Oil burning is usually more blue than white especially if it is burning a lot of oil. So wonder if piston rings have gone, or there is simply a oil leak under car.

Not quite sure how oil can "Leak" into the cat?

Would a 2012 Picanto have a turbo?

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Can communication from oil gallery/coolant gallery to combustion chamber occur via a path through the cylinder head gasket?

Do you have gains or loss in the coolant tank?
does the coolant appear clean?
do you have auto transmission?
do you have leaks externally from the cyl. head gasket?

·
Super Moderator
5,361 Posts
Asdaf

Can I ask.
Rather than editing your 1st post. That you respond to the questions with a follow on post. As your edit will not be picked up by posters.

EDITED: the smoke is not grey-white but grey-blue, the car has no turbo.

I think you maybe looking at worn/coked up valves, or a number of other things that can not be diagnosed online. All people can do is say what it maybe.

TBH. It is going to need someone to physically look at the engine to see where the oil is going.

If you are good at mechanics, then take the head off. That will at least give you a guide to where the issue maybe.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I guess you would like to try some low cost tricks before have your car disassembled.

If the cause or one of the contributing factors is worn oil seals, for example on the exhaust or inlet valve stems which can cause blue smoke at start up, then you can try a motor oil additive that supposedly swells the seals somewhat with the intention of making them seal better. I have not used such products myself.

Before you buy and use such a product it's probably a good idea to take the car to a mechanic and let them recommend a brand. Employees in car parts shops may not necessarily have any experience with using such chemicals.

if it's consuming 1 liter/500km then this is unlikely to cure the issue completely.
Take it to a Kia dealer and ask to have a chat with a mechanic, they are usually pretty helpful even though you wont be paying a cent / pound.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Please be aware that burnt oil does not cause blue smoke - it is unburnt oil that causes blue smoke. Hence a car can smoke badly when cold, but be quite smokeless when hot because the engine is hot enough to burn the oil.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts