Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this stage of EV development it is just speculation of course but I thought the following extracts from the Daily Express article (linked below) might kick off some discussion?.
According to motoring lawyer Nick Freeman;
Electric car owners are currently exempt from traditional Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) charges which are based on overall vehicle emissions.

Those who own electric cars do not need to pay city congestion fees and don’t pay traditional fuel duty charges.

Speaking exclusively to Express.co.uk, Mr Freeman said electric car owners were “blind and deluded” if they thought they should continue to be exempt from tax going forwards.
The moment everybody is in electric cars or the majority are in electric cars they are going to be taxed because the government needs to use the revenue.

“Electric cars cause pollution in their production and in their disposal.

“Their tyres and brakes cause pollution and they use the roads and they churn up the road surface etc... so why shouldn't they contribute.

“If they believe they are going to get away with this tax-free it ain’t going to happen. It's just not going to happen.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
According to motoring lawyer Nick Freeman;
I'm sure most of we car owners have known from the outset that the 'free ride' currently available to electric car purchasers cannot last.

The only problem I have with it is the fact that, in encouraging everyone to buy into the great planet-saving myth that is EVs, there will come a point whereby coercion against the remaining ic-powered car users will be used in the form of massive tax/duty hikes, forcing the 'stragglers' to either buy into the project or give up driving. I suspect even SORN may become costly.

I accept that a case will be made or updated to permit 'classic' vehicles to be used in a very limited way.

·
Super Moderator
4,261 Posts
“Electric cars cause pollution in their production and in their disposal.
So do ICE cars.

The bonus of a EV is that it is far less polluting in it's lifetime on the roads. So the argument that is being used is a pointless one.
My guess is that Nick Freeman is not a big fan of EV's and would rather drive round in a ICE.

Only a idiot will think that EV's will not have to take up the slack of lost tax revenue from ICE cars. Quite how that will be done is anyone's guess. But there are several options.
Pay to drive, VED, increase VAT on electric (hits everyone) or change to tariffs that mean dedicated car charging pays more. Increase is sales tax on new EV cars once ICE is no longer available.

I fully expect ICE to be heavily taxed as we get closer to the cut off date, either by increase in car sales tax/VED or hikes in Fuel duty.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Most EV drivers are under no illusion that the 'Free Ride' will end at some point.
If Nick Freemen is happy paying the government lots of money in Road Fund Licence and fuel duty, then good for him. As he is 'Mr Loophole', I would have thought he would have enjoyed the idea of people getting free or cheap electricity to run their cars and then not paying to use the road.

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
The government apparently are looking into a pay to drive scheme , I think electric car owners who think that some form of taxation will not effect them are very deluded, all governments have used motorists as cash cows over the years and that will in my opinion not change. I also believe that fossil fuel car owners, will be hit the hardest in the short term, annual road tax will increase and fuel duty will rise , pushing them towards the electric revolution, there will also be greater choices of second hand electric cars within the next 5 years and hopefully lower costs for new models. Interesting times ahead.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts