Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All.

I am looking at getting a second hand Sorento as on paper it looks fantastic to do what I have lined up.

Can any one tell me what the Sorento is like to live with on a day to day basis as mine will be used as an everyday vehicle and also to tow a car trailer.

I will be looking at buying a 2005/6 model so what do I need to look out for on a Sorento of this age, and is Diesel better than Petrol? or even LPG if I can find one.

Thank you for any help you can give me.

Paul

·
Registered
93 Posts
Hi Paul
The Sorento is a great everyday car my 2004XS has done 22k in the 2 years since I've had it

It did suffer a major failure of the front prop shaft last October which could of been avoided with regular inspection see other post for details. Apart from that its a very capable tow car and comfortable enough for long trips fuel economy on the deisel will be around 26 - 30 mpg.

I wouldnt bother with LPG, Ihave run a fleet of dual fuel vehicles and once the mileage gets above 60k we experienced lots of expensive engine problems also you cant use the channel tunnel andwill loseboot space for the gas tank, costs and road fund duty will not make this much of a cost saveing over a deisel. Just my opinion of course

Edited by: UncleMart

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi UncleMart.

Thank you for your reply. Seems like the Diesel is the one to go for. Do you know of any problems with high milers as most of the 2005/6 Sorento's that I have been loking at seem to all be close to 100,000 milers. I talked to a dealer and he said as long as it has a full service history then 100,000 plus miles is not a problem ( but then he would ) but keep away from anything with no service history. Does the Diesel have a cam belt or a chain?.

I read somewhere that the XE has selectable 4 wheel drive and the XS has inteligent selection, any benefits to this option?.

Paul
Edited by: TelfordPaul

·
Registered
93 Posts
Petrol version will certanly be a cheaper option to buy but running costs soon will out way any savings over a deisel. My XS auto has torque on demand I think 75% to rear axle and 25% to front for normal use with a switch to select 4X4 at 50% to each axle in low ratio. I am not sure how the XE does it.

As for high mielages I would not be to worried as long as there is a full service history and ensure the correct oil and filters have been used KIA can be fussy over these and definately get the drive train checked out. The only other concern might be rusting in the tailgate near the top spoiler and chrome strip near the boot release and I have heard of some sorrentos leaking around the sunroof. Apart from that they seem quite bomb proof - Build quality is more than adequate maybe not quite as nicely finished as a merc ML but then you dont pay ML prices.....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers for the info UncleMart.

I have heard of a few problems with the front prop shaft coming adrift and flailing about doing a lot of damage in the process, but it seems that proper servicing should avoid this problem. what about the turbo's ???. Are they reliable and are they covered on an extended warranty if offered from a dealer. Anyone had a turbo fail?.

Paul

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hi TelfordPaul, I bought a 56 plate xs in jan 09 with 15500 on the clock 1 owner in imac condition with detachable towbar and twin electrics for 11995.
Its the face lift version with the higher output engine 2.5 diesel turbo.

full leather interior, and torque on demand is brill. its fully serviced with KIA and tows my caravan which is a biggun with out a problem. I get about 480 miles to a tank and thats combined city and motorway milage. so about 28 mpg but does drop when the van is on the back.

I use it everyday as my only form of transport and i love it.

Just had a bull bar and oval side steps by a place in Golborne and its a realy nice looker just like me hahaha

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi There Bigmark.

Thank you for your reply. The Sorento looks better and better with everything I read about them.

Have now started tarting up my old motor ready to put it in for px if iI can.

Seems the Sorento is pretty bullet proof so should make a brilliant tow car plus everyday motor.

Regards

TelfordPaul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, I took delivery of my XE-C which is the commercial version with no rear seats last July, I have now covered 28k in under a year without any issues.
i spend a great deal of time towing and i have to say its pretty faultless. I have had many different 4x4's in my time, Crew Cab pick ups, and Discoverys (old TD4'S) and this beats them all hands down so far.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi paul. This may come a bit late but I've had my petrol sorento from new. Bought Sep 2005. Within three weeks i had an LPG conversion fitted. Never had a single problem. the garage where i had my conversion fitted has converted several pertol sorentos. All without problems to date. There's no boot space loss as you fit the tank under the car where the spare wheel used to be.If I had to run on pertrol I would get rid of the car as it can be a bit thirsty. I have the original 80 litre petrol tank and a 95 litre gas tank. You would never know asthe tank fits so snug you can't see a thing, and I'm only paying 59.9p a litre not 121p.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you PETERWA & Beasty for you replies.

I have done a lot of research on the Sorento and have decided ..........

It's the one for me...

A few people at work have said " why do you want one of those" and my answer is

cos I haven't got one.

and I want one.

Since I started this thread I have only found the following problems with a Sorento.

Please feel free to add any more if you know of any.

1. Front prop shaft (uj) if not properly serviced. ( serious damage)

2. Engine cuts out due to paint peeling from inside fuel tank and clogging filters.

3. Sun roof leaks water into car.

4. Rust around trim on tailgate area.

Apart from that all looks good.

OK now I am looking for a straight swap for my 1996 Laguna 2.0 Rt( 1 owner )with 102,000 on the clock for a 2005+ Sorento.

Then I wake up and think that I will have to pay some money as well.

Regards

Paul

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Paul, I trust your hunt for a Sorento is still ongoing?
just thought I would let you know, I have now covered just over 32k and I still have untill the 6th of June before its a year old and its still not missed a beat.

Happy hunting..

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi There PETERWA.

Glad to see you have had no problems with your Sorento.

I will be off looking at a few Sorento's this week as i intend to get one very soon.

Have got my eye on a couple of 05/06 XS models as they seem to have all the toys and gadgets on them, and we all like the toys don't we?

I would like to say a word of thanks to everyone who uses and runs this forum as it is a pleasure to use one that is so full of useful information and not littered with people who don't know what they are talking about.

No doubt i will be on here for a long long time to come once i get my Sorento.

So a big thank you from me to all the administrators........well done

Regards

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts