Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not seen it before but the EV6 UK brochure is now available. To be honest it doesn’t say very much really that we don’t already know but it’s a step in the right direction - sort of.
https://www.kia.com/content/dam/kwcms/kme/uk/en/assets/static/utility/brochure/The Kia EV6 - Your guide to electric driving.pdf

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
437 Posts
Unfortunately, when I asked at our local dealer 'EV6 show' the 800 volt chargers are still 'being worked on', so I guess that means there aren't any yet. - Unless someone knows different.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
Unfortunately, when I asked at our local dealer 'EV6 show' the 800 volt chargers are still 'being worked on', so I guess that means there aren't any yet. - Unless someone knows different.
Hi Alan,
I think there has been a little misunderstanding about "800 volt chargers", The KIA EV6 and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 (Which I have) have a 400/800v architecture built into the car, which means that they can charge on a 350 kWH charger extremely quickly - ie 62 miles of range added in 5 mins or go from 10% to 80% charge in 18 minutes, they have some of the best charging rates of any electric car at their price range.

Generally 350 kWH chargers are the fastest at the moment, there may be some faster ones coming but I have not heard of "800 volt" chargers being installed anywhere..

Regards

Phil

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
437 Posts
Looks like the sales staff need to get their facts right then! :)
That'll be a first when it gets technical then.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Based on my experience with Jaguar 3 years ago, my advice would be to take everything the showroom (and service) staff say with a pinch of salt, and independently verify their answers.
Most of the staff who I came across at that time didn't know anything specific about EV's at all (and some just thought it wasn't important to know, as EV's were just a passing fad as far as they were concerned), but worst of all, they guessed at most of their answers.
They may all be getting a little more clued up now, but, if you base your buying decisions on what they tell you, you could be in for a nasty surprise.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I recently went to the launch event for the EV6, the presenter knew the key points and the marketing mumbo jumbo so everything looked and sounded fantastic, however all the other staff there were salesmen out to get people to buy one of the cars (Obviously the whole point of the event and no different to any other dealer). Most of them knew some basics but when questioned about specifics, they either didn't know or made things up.

I spoke to quite a few people who had placed orders during the event for one of the EV6 variants in Steel Matte Grey colour and NONE of them were told anything about the difficulties in looking after a Matte Colour car (Mine is a Matte Gravity Gold Car - Hyundai Ioniq 5 :eek:) So I explained some of the worst problems of having a Matte Colour Car and to google it to make their own minds up.

I do wish the staff would at least read some of the information on EV cars to clue themselves up a bit (EVs are not going away) and they all knew that they would eventually have to sell them.

Customers need to do their research as well so that they don't get a nasty surprise later....

·
Registered
14 Posts
...and once you get into ownership, be aware that the service staff know even less. I have a dozen stories, including them wanting to charge me for oil and filter change at my first service.

·
Super Moderator
3,829 Posts
I read an article from Autocar about EV repair services a few weeks ago and they mentioned that the Institute of the Motor Industry says that of a total workforce of 238,000 technicians, only 15,500 are registered on its Techsafe register and so qualified to work on EVs.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
437 Posts
Hi Alan,
I think there has been a little misunderstanding about "800 volt chargers", The KIA EV6 and the Hyundai Ioniq 5 (Which I have) have a 400/800v architecture built into the car, which means that they can charge on a 350 kWH charger extremely quickly - ie 62 miles of range added in 5 mins or go from 10% to 80% charge in 18 minutes, they have some of the best charging rates of any electric car at their price range.

Generally 350 kWH chargers are the fastest at the moment, there may be some faster ones coming but I have not heard of "800 volt" chargers being installed anywhere..

Regards

Phil
This - Hyundai IONIQ 5 (2021) Charging Guide | Pod Point shows that they can only be charged at a maximum 150kw so a battery at minimum (still with 2.9kw left in according to the blurb) will charge in about 20 minutes. Unless I'm missing something.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.