Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 (on order)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've recently pre-ordered the stunning new EV6, and I'm looking forward to seeing one in the metal. The EV6's leading edge design and technology were big factors for me, but I'd also decided some time ago that my next car should be electric. Kia's strong experience with the excellent e-Niro and Soul was another key factor. Hope to share pre-delivery information and then ownership experiences with other EV6 purchasers.

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Hi and welcome.
Have you previously owned a Kia?
What made you opt for the EV6?
Do you think it needs a more memorable "name" than EV6? :)

·
Registered
EV6 (on order)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi and welcome.
Have you previously owned a Kia?
What made you opt for the EV6?
Do you think it needs a more memorable "name" than EV6? :)
Thanks. Good questions!
No, I've never owned a Kia. My most recent cars have been from Toyota and Lexus (both hybrids).
Why the EV6? I wanted to move to a full EV from hybrid with my next car. I considered the Model 3 and Polestar 2 carefully. But I was uncomfortable with what is still a build quality lottery with Tesla, and its patchy reputation for customer after-sales service as its sales volumes have scaled up. I like the Polestar's Nordic design, but its real world range and energy efficiency seem poor. And then the EV6 was launched with its stunningly crisp design and next-generation electrical architecture. Kia have a good reputation for EV design with the e-Niro, which is reassuring too.

Names are not a big factor for me, but as I understand it, EV6 will be just the first of a series of "EVn" models. This seems logical and easy to understand (the EV6 is a similar size to the Audi A6, for example), and Kia have done well to trademark "EVn" names ahead of competitors. Not sure whether the story that GM declined to give Kia access to "EV1" is apocryphal!

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Thanks. Yes, the EV6 does look nice and seems to have decent range and equipment level.
As you can se, we have our 3rd Sporty which we may well replace next Spring, and thus looking at what EV motors are comparable to the Sporty.
Option is also to leave it till year 4 as by then will be considerably more choices.

Can't see the point really of hybrids, lugging twice the engine weight around at the expense of range and interior space.

Rumours of an EV4 with potentially Sportage accommodation (or maybe that's an EV5?)

I like the Ioniq 5 and the new Tucson, but all options open at the mo, ICE could do for another 3 years and then see what the EV world has to offer.. :)
But keeping eyes and ears open on how others make their decisions, so thanks for asking my "intrusion" :)

Reactions: Martin J

·
Registered
73 Posts
Thanks. Good questions!
No, I've never owned a Kia. My most recent cars have been from Toyota and Lexus (both hybrids).
Why the EV6? I wanted to move to a full EV from hybrid with my next car. I considered the Model 3 and Polestar 2 carefully. But I was uncomfortable with what is still a build quality lottery with Tesla, and its patchy reputation for customer after-sales service as its sales volumes have scaled up. I like the Polestar's Nordic design, but its real world range and energy efficiency seem poor. And then the EV6 was launched with its stunningly crisp design and next-generation electrical architecture. Kia have a good reputation for EV design with the e-Niro, which is reassuring too.

Names are not a big factor for me, but as I understand it, EV6 will be just the first of a series of "EVn" models. This seems logical and easy to understand (the EV6 is a similar size to the Audi A6, for example), and Kia have done well to trademark "EVn" names ahead of competitors. Not sure whether the story that GM declined to give Kia access to "EV1" is apocryphal!
Welcome.

Totally agree on the Tesla concerns. They've recently been rated one of the most unreliable cars by Which! Seems to be quite an issue with the door handles! One of my mates just got the model 3 - boring as hell inside but looks nice outside - didn't have the heart to wish him "good luck!"
I've been to a couple of Polestar launches - Polestar 1 and the 2. Whilst they look lovely to the eye, inside and out, for me I wasn't confident in the track record of performance over a long period of time. Geely/Volvo aren't the best track record on reliability compared to the days of Volvo only.
From a reliability perspective your've made the right choice with a Kia. Nothing wrong with the Kia name these days and majority of people who are brand snobs tend to drive Mercs, BMW's and Audi's (all which have poor reliability) and they are seriously unknowledgeable if they think Kia's are cheap and cheerful still - those days have long gone.
Interesting that you've come from Toyota and Lexus, both one of the best cars on the road in my opinion. I agree that the EV6 is a very bold looking car and comparing to other brands out there there isn't much which is quite unique with such a good reliability record. It is a shame that Lexus are holding back on their designs (and that centre touchpad unit is one of the worst inventions I've every come across!) but I'm sure they will catch up on design.
From a driving perspective I've found comfort similarities between Toyota and Kia on par these days (more so now than perhaps 5+ year ago) so no issues there. Dealer network is good but always some challenges with their diamond cut alloys and Kia have a bit of a reputation on getting around their poor corrosion (depends on the model you are going for).
I've got a Optima Sportwagon GTs-Line and Stinger GTS 3.3, both excellent cars and very happy with them. I would take these over any BMW/Merc (both owned before) and an Audi (not owned but driven plenty and never want to have one!) so you've made a very wise, practical and reliable choice (y)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Another Lexus owner here too. 2020 Lexus RX Takumi but looking at BEVs at the moment and the EV6 in GT-Line S (with heat pump) trim ticks a lot of boxes. I looked at the Mustang Mach E yesterday which was quite a nice place to sit. Currently ruled out Tesla and Polestar 2 but I still need to see the Ioniq 5 and the 2022 NX plug in. I’m going for an EV6 viewing mid August.
Habu

·
Registered
18 Posts
Has anybody had an update from their dealer about expected delivery? I ordered my EV6 on the first day I could, GT Line S in Yacht Blue but since the deposit nothing. I did notice that the EV 6 Launch in Korea was late due to parts shortage. ( semi conductors?) so not sure what's happening here. I also noted that some of the EV6 Experience days are in November which seems strange.

·
Registered
EV6 (on order)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Has anybody had an update from their dealer about expected delivery? I ordered my EV6 on the first day I could, GT Line S in Yacht Blue but since the deposit nothing. I did notice that the EV 6 Launch in Korea was late due to parts shortage. ( semi conductors?) so not sure what's happening here. I also noted that some of the EV6 Experience days are in November which seems strange.
I asked my dealer for an update today, but they'd had no further information from Kia UK. Some dealers are expecting demonstrators in late September and taking test drive bookings; whether early customer deliveries will be on the same boat isn't clear. If you're not already on it, there's some discussion about dates on the Kia EV6 UK Facebook group.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.