Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have ordered an EV6 however there are two issues that should have been resolved in the early stages of development however I am sure that at some stage some bright spark will come up with a solution.
I took an EV6 out for a test drive unfortunately there was a storm in progress with a very heavy rain and what I noticed straight away was the cameras on the wing mirrors were a wast of time as you could see very little on screen because of rain covering the camera lense.
Secondly tha car has great all round visibility but these cameras do not record so if you will have to purchase a dash cam if you want that facility. Would it not have been a simple job to have had all the cameras recording.

Super Moderator
Dash cams are illegal in many markets. So it is not really something they could incorporate into the car.

I'm surprised you get rain on the wing mirror cameras.

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
Dash cams are illegal in many markets. So it is not really something they could incorporate into the car.
To be fair, it could easily be region specific, like a lot of other features on modern cars are specific to the region they are sold in, it would only require a small amount of onboard memory (micro SD card) and a hardcoded software option buried away somewhere

I read something recently too about the safety implications of these "camera wing mirrors", as a biker, mirrors act as "2 way" communication, as in, i can see if the driver of a car has clocked me or not, especially useful when filtering through traffic, camera mirrors will not allow us bikers to actually see the driver of the vehicle through their mirror

Super Moderator
As a fellow bikers. I always take the stance "Looked, but not seen"

Something that has come out from the Video's I have been following on the EV 6. Is that many applauded the thinking of multi using certain parts to do somethings.
Sadly now reviews are finding that this very approach is leading to issues with charging. As the same heat pump/parts are used to heat car & battery pack.
So in cold weather the battery pack cools down while the car is kept nice & warm. Which leads to slow charging till the battery pack warms up.
So you want fast charging from the off you have to turn the heating off in the car. 馃し鈥嶁檪锔

Registered
To be fair, it could easily be region specific, like a lot of other features on modern cars are specific to the region they are sold in, it would only require a small amount of onboard memory (micro SD card) and a hardcoded software option buried away somewhere

I read something recently too about the safety implications of these "camera wing mirrors", as a biker, mirrors act as "2 way" communication, as in, i can see if the driver of a car has clocked me or not, especially useful when filtering through traffic, camera mirrors will not allow us bikers to actually see the driver of the vehicle through their mirror
Not everyone wants dashcams, they're something else to cover under warranty and illegal in certain territories. More reasons not to fit a non-value adding feature than reasons for.

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
Not everyone wants dashcams, they're something else to cover under warranty and illegal in certain territories. More reasons not to fit a non-value adding feature than reasons for.
And like i said, the ability to enable them could be region specific, and obviously not activated in territories where they are illegal

But given there are cameras on the car, and more than likely some memory storage within the infotainment system, why not give the owner the option to have them turned on or off, i think that was what the OP was getting at

Also, i can't understand why anyone would not want to have a dashcam, they can be invaluable in the case of an insurance claim

Registered
And like i said, the ability to enable them could be region specific, and obviously not activated in territories where they are illegal

But given there are cameras on the car, and more than likely some memory storage within the infotainment system, why not give the owner the option to have them turned on or off, i think that was what the OP was getting at

Also, i can't understand why anyone would not want to have a dashcam, they can be invaluable in the case of an insurance claim
Can, might, I want......

No one will buy a car just because it has a dashcam included. National laws very rarely work on the basis of "it can be turned off" and it's certainly not as simple as.... Its got cameras and memory so it can record all feeds at once into a small amount of memory.

Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
Can, might, I want......

No one will buy a car just because it has a dashcam included. National laws very rarely work on the basis of "it can be turned off" and it's certainly not as simple as.... Its got cameras and memory so it can record all feeds at once into a small amount of memory.
You really aren't getting this are you, i'm not meaning it can turned on/off at will by the owner when in an illegal territory (it would simply be coded out and not switchable in such territories)

And i wasn't for 1 second suggesting anyone would buy the car "just because" it had a dashcam

And it's not like the car doesn't already have a menagerie of camera all over it

The OP was suggesting, that because the car already has several cameras, why not allow the option (where applicable by law) for the owner of vehicle to allow those cameras to be turned on, to record on a loop, and should an accident occur, keep hold of the last 5 mins of footage......... it's really not a difficult concept to grasp, and would save owners having to fit unslighly (sometimes obscuring) dashcams to their windscreen

Anyway, i'm leaving it there, no more replies from me on this one, but i thought the OP made a good point about allowing the existing cameras to be used as a dashcam

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
In some countries, Portugal is one I think, it is illegal to have a dash cam in the car (not adequate to just turn it off I think)..

Just how will a visiting motorist, whose car is manufacturer equipped with a fixed dash cam system, as part of the cars operational electronics, be able to 'remove' it to avoid prosecution in those countries?

Rather than get caught into a load of potential litigation it's far easier for manufacturers to just not provide dash cams.
What they could do is a) provide suitable electrical connection point for an after market cam and/or / b) provide a video feed connection from the cars cameras for owners to fit their own recording device.

Reactions: ArthurCollins2

Super Moderator
Also some of the camera's are not of a standard for recording as a dash cam, or set in a way that would be suitable to have a use as one.

Given Kia's current situation with software. Do they need another thing to mess up?

Registered
You really aren't getting this are you, i'm not meaning it can turned on/off at will by the owner when in an illegal territory (it would simply be coded out and not switchable in such territories)

And i wasn't for 1 second suggesting anyone would buy the car "just because" it had a dashcam

And it's not like the car doesn't already have a menagerie of camera all over it

The OP was suggesting, that because the car already has several cameras, why not allow the option (where applicable by law) for the owner of vehicle to allow those cameras to be turned on, to record on a loop, and should an accident occur, keep hold of the last 5 mins of footage......... it's really not a difficult concept to grasp, and would save owners having to fit unslighly (sometimes obscuring) dashcams to their windscreen

Anyway, i'm leaving it there, no more replies from me on this one, but i thought the OP made a good point about allowing the existing cameras to be used as a dashcam
You're not getting it are you! Your wants are not universal. You already said you can't understand any other point of view and your over-simplification of complicated interconnected systems tells us why. Can you engage your brain for a while if you want to discuss grown up subjects. 馃憤

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I'm surprised you get rain on the wing mirror cameras.
Thats a funny answer as when it rains things get wet and the camera on an EV6 is under the side mirrors and drips form at the lowest point on the camera and obscure the camera lens. Also Dash cams are a acetylene feature that records the driving method of the driver and also other drivers. Which give a true picture especially in accidents.

Registered
Stonic 1st Edition
Thats a funny answer as when it rains things get wet and the camera on an EV6 is under the side mirrors and drips form at the lowest point on the camera and obscure the camera lens. Also Dash cams are a acetylene feature that records the driving method of the driver and also other drivers. Which give a true picture especially in accidents.
But it does not detract from the fact that dash cams, that record footage, are illegal (even to be fitted) in some markets.

If you doubt that regulations are different a good overview of the European position is here;
Austria
Using a dash cam in Austria is illegal, full-stop. First-time offenders will be slapped with a whopping 鈧10,000 fine, with repeat offenders fined 鈧25,000. In fact, it鈥檚 not even legal to own a dash cam.
Portugal
It may be totally legal to use a dash cam on your drive through Spain to get there, but once you arrive in Portugal it is neither legal to own nor use a dash cam, so leave yours at home if you鈥檒l be driving there.
IANAL but I would hazard a guess that if a manufacturer provided a facility to record the images from cameras, installed as a safety enhancement, then that could cause those cameras to be considered 'dash cams'.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts