Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
EV6 (on order)
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of photographs from the recent launch event at a nearby dealership. Possibly superfluous as the same handful of cars are travelling around the UK and have been well photographed. This was a pre-production RHD AWD model approximately to GT-Line S specification.

Initial reactions:

- it's even better in the metal, a dramatic piece of design whose sleekness disguises a really spacious cabin. It's a very wide car, however, which may be an issue for those with small garages or parking bays.

- opinions differ about the matte steel grey finish. I'm not a fan, and apparently there are care and repair issues, but others love it. The range of alternative colours is poor, however, and the car's dramatic surfacing really needs a more imaginative and interesting palette.

- the build quality looked excellent, certainly up to Toyota standards, although some finishes (eg the only partly carpeted boot) were definitely non-premium.

- the interior design and ambience felt better than the pictures look. The alcantara seats were well-finished and felt durable, the driving position was good, and the seats excellent, with good lumbar support.

- talking to other potential owners, the lack of a rear wiper was contentious. Minimal aerodynamic gain; and aerodynamics won't keep the rear window clear when it's snowing and you're stationary in traffic.

- Tesla should be very worried. This is a better-looking car than the Model 3, with a more practical interior and better ergonomics.

·
Registered
Fusion white 2014 Proceed GT Tech
973 Posts
This is a better-looking car than the Model 3
Not a high bar is it? :giggle: I think even the new 4 Series maybe better looking than the Tesla 3 (just my opinion, like).

Good starts from KIA and Hyundai; I'm looking forward to the technology filtering down to smaller and more attainable models over the next few five years. Oh, and my company installing some charging points.

Reactions: Martin J

·
Registered
251 Posts
Buying a Tesla is like a trip back to the 1970s/80s in terms of build quality.

Think "Friday afternoon/Monday morning car" if you're of that age and that's where Tesla are with QA/build quality/consistency. I know people who have had interior trim fall off to find it was attached/patched with poorly fitting adhesive pads - door handle in one case IIRC.

They are everywhere around here - rare that I don't see at least a couple of Teslas a day now. The assistant manager (there are many) at the local Aldi has one. He was complaining about the trim inside so I told him to google British Leyland :D

He thinks the trim inside the Telsa he has is probably where most cars were 20 years ago in terms of quality/durability. I think he's being optimistic...

Its all about the headline price though.

For any pure EV its too much for most of the UK population to even consider & PCPs aren't very attractive in terms of pricing for pure EVs.

So PCPs on pure EVs are going to have to be "supported" by the UK govt to make any of this work in the timescales required.

Don't hold your breath....

·
Registered
91 Posts
- talking to other potential owners, the lack of a rear wiper was contentious. Minimal aerodynamic gain; and aerodynamics won't keep the rear window clear when it's snowing and you're stationary in traffic.
View attachment 11407

View attachment 11406
A high performance ceramic coating to the rear window may be helpful even in slow / standstill traffic. If only I could get the stuff used on the Harrier Force canopies. Harriers were too fast and too dynamic for conventional wipers seen in civilian aircraft but still needed a canopy to be clean when operating in stationary or slow flight. The stuff applied to the canopy was extremely good at keeping it clear of rain but I guess it was a military spec Rain-X type of product.

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
Had a look at one yesterday at Burrows Kia in Barnsley. It's impressive with lots of toys and lights - no doubt about that, but too big and expensive for my taste and pocket. The bonnet could always double as a helicopter landing are, it'so big!! I'll stick to petrol/lpg IC engines for the time being thanks very much. All in all, very impressive, but not for me I'm afraid.
Over 300 mile range, can tow 1600 kg and 800 volt charging too - I wonder where they will all be located, as they won't be cheap to install & run. Another 10 all electric models to come in the next 5 years too and IC engines being phased out. Well, whistle see how that goes, shan't we?
There may or may not be a Sportage sized hybrid 'soon' with petrol rather than diseasel power, that might stand a chance for me, but I'd want to know about battery longevity first, cynic that I am........

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.