Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating purchasing a new one but have heard that heaters on EVs are a bit suspect. Can anybody tell me whart the heater works like on the new soul.

·
Super Moderator
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
2,435 Posts
If you have a look there are a couple of threads on that very subject here and here. As you have posted a question about EV's in a section for model that is not currently an EV, I've moved into the Soul EV.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
There must be a new soul ev. driver on here that can answer this please. I want a Soul driver not any other cars as they may be different.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
92 Posts
Well I'm a Soul EV owner since May, so I should qualify, but I haven't used the car a great deal in the recent cold weeks. I'm in West London, so I'm frankly better off walking for most local tasks or getting on public transport. The car is mainly used for longer runs to visit family and friends. To put this in perspective: Since we first got the car we have mostly had the climate control set to "Auto" and something like 20-21 degrees. The car has been doing that through the summer and we've been comfortable, but of course it is just varying the a/c and no heater.
If I've been on my own I have sometimes selected driver only. We usually use the car on Eco driving mode. It still has plenty of poke but it does reign-in the climate control a bit. There were times when we switched to 'Normal' drive mode because it allowed the fan to ramp up much higher to cool the car quicker on hot days when you've just got into the car. I don't think it makes that much difference to the driving, other than the amount of regen-braking that it does on lifting your foot off the accelerator. We like the heavy regen, so we've set that as default on the 'Normal' drive setting too.
So that's a lot of scene-setting done. We don't use the car daily and mostly leave the climate to sort itself around our set temperature. Auto also means that it should be using any a/c that it sees fit to deal with humidity and any misting or fogging (I had to go and check those links above to see what the problem might be)

In the last few months I've been getting into a cooler car and seen that the 'heater' light comes on and the air is being warmed. On our drive back from Devon last Sunday we were perfectly comfy with the temperature. We used the heated seats and steering for a few minutes at the start because it was a bit of a novelty and nice not to touch a 10deg steering wheel. We had the heat at something like 21-22 for the journey - All good.
We got back with about 16% left in the battery - so the coldest start I've yet made was this Monday morning when I took it to get charged up at a Lidl (I don't have off-street). The car was pretty cold but still no frost. I still left it on 'auto' and the heater was warming the air ok, but it was a journey of under 10 minutes so not much time to do much. I can't say that I recall being either underwhelmed or impressed. It was just like a cold car that needs to warm up. There was a bit of condensation on the outside of the windscreen, which was cleared by the wipers. The only thing that bothered me was trying to clear the outside mist on my driver door by lowering and raising the window - it didn't clear much because the outer surface didn't seem to make contact with the rubber for most of the travel.

We certainly noticed a "hot" smell at first when the heater started to run for the first time - I think that's to be expected and I don't recall it from recent trips. I'll try to bear it in mind next time we take the car somewhere!

For the moment all I can say is that the heater heats and I don't have fogging-up problems - Coming out of Eco and into Normal may be necessary on particularly warm or cold days to get the car comfortable more quickly.

As an aside:-
I nearly got around to asking a question myself a few weeks ago. When I first saw the red 'heater' light come on I wondered if that was just for the electric heating and whether it might go off if heat-pump heating took over at some later stage. I believe there is a heat-pump in the spec, but does it do the cabin heat? I'd like to know how to recognise it (the heat-pump) or its tubes under the bonnet - I wonder when the Haynes is coming out? Anyone know what to look for as a tell-tale? I know some countries didn't get heat-pumps as standard.

Because the heating light seems to have remained on for the duration of our journeys I suspect it just shows that the car is heating (in some way). I wish Kia had a more advanced manual which dropped all the repetitive yellow safety guff and gave you some detail. Getting your head around manual intervention when in "High Beam Assist" is just gobbledegook in the manual until you get your head around it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Robinb, that helps a lot?
The ev soul now on sale in the UK doesn't have a heat pump but I belive the pump is to warm up the battery. Please correct if I am wrong.
The last UK ice souls the window scrapers are the same, only come into contact at the last moment before they closed.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 First Edition
20 Posts
The Soul EV in the UK doesn’t have a battery heater.

The heat pump is to heat the cabin. It also has a PTC heater to help when it gets below freezing.

The heater works well. I use mine daily. Only covered just under 6000 miles in just over 3 months.

The heated seats & steering wheel are great too. Use them all the time as well.

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV
92 Posts
Thanks Robinb, that helps a lot?
Sarcasm?
The ev soul now on sale in the UK doesn't have a heat pump but I belive the pump is to warm up the battery. Please correct if I am wrong.
TBH I thought it did both (heat cabin and battery), but I don't know where I got that impression. @MikeProcter reckons just cabin, so that may be right.
Took the car our for a bit of a drive this morning. It said 3 deg C on the dash when we started. Near instant heat on starting (you don't get that in an ICE!). Went to Normal rather than Eco to get a better fan blast. For 5 minutes or so I turned the heat up to 25, not because I wanted that as the final temperature (we had coats on), just to take the chill off everything. In the "EV" view of power use (I chose to be the passenger playing with the controls) I could see that the "climate" power usage was initially around 4kW. After about 10 minutes it seemed to have dropped to around 1kW or less. I can't tell if that was because the demand for heat was less or because the heat-pump was now able to harvest more heat from the motor and electronics.
The last UK ice souls the window scrapers are the same, only come into contact at the last moment before they closed.
Handy to know. If they haven't changed the design presumably they haven't found it causes problems (except for drivers who expect to get a lazy clearing of the glass)

The heater works well. I use mine daily. Only covered just under 6000 miles in just over 3 months.
The heated seats & steering wheel are great too. Use them all the time as well.
Agree with that. Warm air from the first few seconds. Steering wheel and seats warm soon after. No condensation or fogging, but it was a dry cold day. I noticed that using the button to select heat specifically to feet drops the "climate" out of our usual "auto" mode and the a/c light went off. Some of the people who have complained of issues with fogging might have not had the a/c on to dry the air. That was a point made in the other threads. The 'auto' setting should look after that. It certainly did for us.

I am contemplating purchasing a new one but have heard that heaters on EVs are a bit suspect. Can anybody tell me whart the heater works like on the new soul.
There must be a new soul ev. driver on here that can answer this please. I want a Soul driver not any other cars as they may be different.
Apologies that I wasn't a driver of the precise form of "new" Soul EV that you were looking for (without heat pump).
Mine has a heat-pump. Apparently the new Maxx does not. It seems to me that they both start off the same way, using PTO electrical heating, but the First Edition has an advantage of being able to use scavenged heat later on and can lower the Watts used by the PTO.
I would have thought that if "heaters on EVs were a bit suspect" that Soul EV experience would still count.
"No problem found - YMMV"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts