Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
281 Posts
This time it was far less than a year from the last cut. I can't help thinking that the grant is getting close to being negligible. (At risk of being flamed for calling £1,500 "negligible")
It was at least 7.1%, now it amounts to 4.7% at best.
Worse than that, it means the majority of longer range vehicles are outside of the limit and only the shorter range vehicles are going to get the assistance. That fuels the perception of affordable EVs only having "city" type ranges for 2nd cars.
I feel there is some truth in the opinions expressed by other people that the manufacturers need to turn out some more range-capable models which are lighter on performance and toys, but achieve a China-matching price point.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It has begun...

Grant on purchase reduced
No grant for home chargers from April 2022... what incentive is left to take away?

I suppose it will be the early adopters that gain from these things, but it seems the perks are slowly being withdrawn.......... next stop taxation on EV's?

·
Registered
Soul EV Maxx
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am sure it will be paying per mile. Probably the same for all cars making EVs cheeper to run as lower fuel cost. As Ice mileage decreases per mile will increase

·
Registered
Sportage 4 T-gdi
387 Posts
It does amuse me that ev wannabes need grants to save the polar bears etc. If just about EVERYONE can't afford it, the option is shank's pony or the bus. I'll be out of it all in 'about' 15 years or less, so it'll not be my problem.
Perhaps the younger generation(s) will see the penny drop eventually. Doubt it tho'.
Another thing on really the same basic subject, is that if it's difficult or impossible to spend the money earned from a well paid job on a nice car, holiday, hobby etc., what's the point of going through college and actually getting a technical job that pays well. 'Shelf filling' or similar will look quite a good option to most folks that actually decide to work. Welcome to the incipient 19th century regression in the next 50 years or so........ and I don't wish to upset shelf fillers, bin men or other 'less qualified' workers, as they are just, or more important than a lot of other trades.
These comments are MY views, not from some anti whatever website. Please forget you read them if they offend.

Mods. Please move this post to somewhere else if it's considered inflammatory, nuclear, or anything else - or even to an 'Alan's opinions' thread if that's more appropriate. The subject of 'modern living' sometimes really gripes my pips, but I do try and keep it civil!!!

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
152 Posts
I am sure it will be paying per mile. Probably the same for all cars making EVs cheeper to run as lower fuel cost. As Ice mileage decreases per mile will increase
It's a nice thought, but how the hell do you implement "pay per mile"

And don't say at MOT time, as that only works if you keep your car for a full 12 months after each MOT, plus you will just end up with a large bill every 12 months, on top of the MOT (and usually servicing costs)

·
Registered
2021 Soul EV FE
281 Posts
It's a nice thought, but how the hell do you implement "pay per mile"

And don't say at MOT time, as that only works if you keep your car for a full 12 months after each MOT, plus you will just end up with a large bill every 12 months, on top of the MOT (and usually servicing costs)
Simple, add mileage to the V5C at handover or SORN of the car (if it isn't already), then adjust your tax code so it gets collected through PAYE through the year. Other methods of payment could be offered e.g. the "large bill" which we currently have to pay for our vehicle tax or instalments.
I'm sure you can come up with lots of "but what ifs" (so can I!), but the current system is full of failures to address situations: does the current car tax or petrol tax care which family member uses the car most or if some of the mileage is employment or pleasure or if the car is part of disability mobility.
The current system at least delivers some degree of "pay for use" via fuel taxes. The system is flawed because governments like to use multiple different taxes to "incentivise" changes in behaviour and to just add to the pot of general spending - We all know that taxes which are hypothetically for something like road maintenance or health insurance are just part of the chancellors income side of his balance sheet.
Headline income taxes are treated as sacrosanct and the stealth taxes keep being jacked-up.
Analysis may decide that just counting miles is unfair on some communities. An agricultural worker may drive many miles and I might spend 3 times as long just doing 5 miles across a big city, but in slow traffic, with lights and roundabouts and school crossings to maintain - Which of us should be paying more? The ever increasing camera-monitored roads, checking average speed or cameras enforcing urban congestion zones might be used to gather more money, but if you do more "road pricing" for key highways, motorways and bridges you encourage people to re-block the bypassed towns and lesser A-roads.
I suspect that we'll look back at fuel taxes and regret the passing of a simpler time!
The number of "stealth" taxes is set to rise and I don't have any faith in the current regime to use careful analysis to achieve the right solutions. Let's face it - What are the chances that Capita are awarded a contract to provide business analysts to look at the problem of dwindling fuel tax and that Capita decide to employ Capita to collect the new taxes.

·
Registered
2019 Ceed first edition
477 Posts
I think fairly soon I'll be out of the car game. If the price of EVs don't drop considerably then I simply won't be able to afford one. I really pushed the boat out on my current 2nd hand car and my dearest ever at 17k. I'd be worried over a 2nd hand EV at even same price unless that is you get an extra warranty on the battery, for same reason I wouldn't buy a 2nd hand phone as don't trust the batteries. Just my thoughts though.

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
Pay by mile has been mooted for years 2009.

They will have to expand the ANPR system at a guess to cover all roads. Which is going to lead to a minefield of errors, as some will simply clone a plate to get away with paying.

·
Registered
91 Posts
ANPR already working all over the place in urban & out of town routes. Speeding, bus lanes, U-turn, parking breaches - fines very efficiently demanded & collected.
I imagine the same facilities could operate mileage charges fairly easily too.

·
Registered
ProCeed GT (JD, 3 Door)
152 Posts
ANPR already working all over the place in urban & out of town routes. Speeding, bus lanes, U-turn, parking breaches - fines very efficiently demanded & collected.
I imagine the same facilities could operate mileage charges fairly easily too.
Not so sure about that, and i guess depends very much where you live

I (accidentally) rode my motobike around for 6 months this last year without an MOT or Tax, and seeminly not once got picked up on ANPR for either offence (if they are even flagged as offences on ANPR)

·
Registered
Kia Niro 3 PHEV (70-plate) Horizon Blue
3,958 Posts
Not so sure about that, and i guess depends very much where you live

I (accidentally) rode my motobike around for 6 months this last year without an MOT or Tax, and seeminly not once got picked up on ANPR for either offence (if they are even flagged as offences on ANPR)
How did that happen? Did you not get reminders? Or, maybe you moved house, that could do it.....

·
Super Moderator
9,436 Posts
I know they spent a hell of a lot of money putting them in Leeds ready for city center charging & then Covid hit & pollution levels dropped to the point where they scrapped the charging saying that levels would never get back to the higher levels again.

Bus lane etc are just the same as speed cameras round here, so just a picture, no ANPR.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Kia now nolonger make a car that's within the Government discount.
Good.

There should be no Government contribution. I bought my first new car in 1978 and in those almost 44 years I have never had a single penny from the government towards the purchase of any car so why should buyers of expensive cars get any money from my taxes. If they are wealthy enough to afford one it should be their own money, not mine.

The money should be spent on the charging network that will ultimately benefit us all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts