Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took delivery of new Venga 1.4 1 petrol this week and on second journey, had a most unnerving experience. Decided to test USB facility to listen to music so put USB stick in port, left foot to depress clutch and right oon brake pedal (as per handbook) and started car up. ESP light stayed on and when pulling away, car felt as if the power steering had been turned off. In fact, it felt like driving an old Austin Westminster (afraid that dates me), almost impossible to turn wheel.Pulled into lay-by, switched off engine, removed USB stick (just in case) and restarted 5 minutes later. Car has run fine since then!
Garage is puzzled and so am I! I have never had a modern car with so much in the way of electronics so it is all new to me.
Any guesses as to cause?

·
Registered
95 Posts
My 1.4crdi does it occasionally, going back into the dealers on monday again for 6th time in 2500 miles to be looked at along with another sensor change for the throttle lag problem
Mechanic seems to think it might be voltage/battery related as like you if you turn it off & back on again it works properly. I think the USB was just coincidence with yours.

John

·
Registered
3 Posts
I had the same problem for the first few weeks I had my new cd2.went back to the dealer as I was occasionally loosing power steering and rev counter response to the throttle being pressed on start up, I discovered that it was all to do with my technique when starting the car.
Key in ignition,turn all the way and start engine whilst turning the steering wheel to free from locked position and the aforementioned problem may occur.If I turn the key in the ignition just far enough to release the steering wheel do not start the engine until all the icon lights have gone out and do not turn the steering wheel until after the engine has started the problem does not occur.There is a section in the manual that mentions you may hear noises from the esp system as the car starts up and the esp kicks in.I can only think that by turning the steering wheel prematurely I was interrupting the system as it does, whatever it needs to do, to function.If the problem does occur then simply start the engine again without moving the steering wheel.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks OldpropI think you have hit the nail on the head.
Now all I need to do is to find 4 x steel wheels for the winter tyres (at a reasonable price and not the £400 as quoted by dealer) and I will be well away!
Thanks again and kind regards.

·
Registered
437 Posts
There is a TSB about ESP light, get them to check the trouble codes as you may need.... wait for it....... a new heater control. Sounds strange but it has conflicting software that effects the ESP and thats why you loose power steering, all to do with the torque sensors and that inside the EPS motor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts