Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had to slam on the other week to avoid a collision after a taxi ran a red light, ever since then, I am having intermittent issues with the ESP (Electronic Stability) light coming on when I start the engine up, and also the EPS (Power Steering) light was coming on with it, but as soon as I jiggled the steering wheel that would go, and I havent had that light on for a few days.

Any ideas what could he causing these issues?

Cheers,

Jim

·
Registered
756 Posts
Funnily enough, my ESP lamp was also showing for a few trips. It went away by itself, and hasn't appeared since.
There is a ESP switch below the steering wheel, it may have a reset function if you turn it on or off.

·
Registered
403 Posts
A multi plug may have come lose on steering wheel, best to get a garage to check it out as located behind airbag and I wouldn't play around this area without caution. If you have a fault code reader you could see if any codes show, only time I get the ESP light on is when I disconnect battery and goes off after several start up's.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Hope it's not the sensor in the steering column as this cannot be replaced, You have to replace the whole unit which I had done under warranty a few years ago as light stayed on, dealer stated at the time if was a £1600 part so fingers crossed it will settle down or get a obd reader or take to a garage for fault code

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll take it back to the garage, when he read the codes before he said there was 5 ABS faults but he reset them?

·
Registered
403 Posts
The ABS fault codes could bring up the ESP as this works with the ABS, sometimes happens if car has been sitting around due to rust on the trigger ring on each wheel.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've taken it in, and it is the Steering Angle Sensor, had to order a new one from Kia as the power steering has completely packed in

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers buddy, yeah it seems so, I ordered the part from Kia, only 85 quid all in and theres a warranty with it. I'll just have to pay the garage to fit it, but hopefully shouldn't be too much of a job and then I'll have my lovely little Ceed back!

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just recently bought a used ceed from 2010 that had a similar ESP light issue .. came on randomly after a bit of driving ... the mechanic resett it and havent seen it since but they just in case also replaced the steering sensor that has been most likely the cause for me ( for free ) ^^

1 - 11 of 11 Posts