Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just been reading a Which? report on the Kia Rio and they commented on how poor they thought the Electronic Stability Control was - activating too slowly with the car swapping from understeer to oversteer during a swerve test ?! Has anyone tested the ESC on their Picanto and does it perform better than this ?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Jukia said:
Just been reading a Which? report on the Kia Rio and they commented on how poor they thought the Electronic Stability Control was - activating too slowly with the car swapping from understeer to oversteer during a swerve test ?! Has anyone tested the ESC on their Picanto and does it perform better than this ?
Yes I have, I played with it in the snow and it is pathetic. It allows loads of wheelspin from rest and starts to apply the brakes approx 2 seconds later. It allows understeer and again reacts so slowly that I had to sort it out myself as if I'd had it turned off. Esc should react so fast that by the time you realise you are sliding it should have stopped it. I have experienced this on a Smart car on black ice whereby it allowed me to go round a hairpin bend on a single track lane. It reacted so fast that it actually stopped the car completely half way round. Had this been the Picanto I can assure you I would have hit the opposing grass bank.

·
Registered
536 Posts
On the pro_ceed it feels more like the t/c is just a different engine map, even with it on its still possiable to spin the wheels. It's as though the throttle is just dumbed down rarther than being intelligent to the amount of grip it has. The abs I find is very good and quick in response although I never activated it once in the snow and ice, driving to the conditions and all. I will agree with over/understeer. Applying the slightest bit of brake while driving.....enthusiastically....and instantly the rear lurches outwards as though it wants to swap ends. Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh dear. I gather lack of ESC as standard was the main reason the Picanto got 4 stars instead of 5 in Euro NCAP safety ratings, but that all UK cars are fitted with it as standard, such as it is. I've had a Picanto since 2004 and was thinking of replacing it with the new one but comments about poor steering, trouble starting in cold weather and poor ESC put me off. Might wait til Skoda bring out their Citigo version of the VW Up in the summer.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Just bear in mindoutof thethousandssold, you are hearing about a few problems on a forum and a forum being there to help people with problems,that'swhat you will get, problems. Be it a Skoda,Hyundaior a Rolls Royce.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I take your point but the issues re steering and ESC are reported on in the motoring press - Which?, What car, auto express, parkers etc

·
Registered
187 Posts
I have the new 3 door. I have wanged it around corners, roundabouts and for me the steering is fine and thehandlingon a small car with thin tyres areimpressive. Some of these motoring reviews expect to much from a cheap car. Yes it might not be as good as all that regarding steering esc, but these guys are alsodrivingtop end cars and i believe that when they review they are reviewing spec like for like. In the end you get what you pay for

·
Registered
324 Posts
Dustyjoe is absolutely right. I subscribe to a popular car magazine and the writers are a little out of touch with the real world sometimes. They drive sports cars and luxury cars then hop in a cheap car and complain about things like its transition from understeer to oversteer on the limit through a bend on a racetrack.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I think the most important thing to think about it its a road car... If your going to be driving it to the point where you depend on the ESC all the time...then your an idiot!Ifanyone needs to be judging A KIA PICANTO!!!! on its understeer/oversteer caracteristics...they should have there licence revoked.
The way in whichESC reacts should not be a reason to not buy a car. We've done without ESC for the last 100yrs after all. If everyone paid attension to the road and there surroundings there wouldnt be a needfor electronic trickery! I wouldnt say the steering is "poor" its just different. Its like people comparing cars back in the 80's when power steering came out. There were crys of little feel through the wheel. You soon get used to it. Just to correct you though Jukia... EVERY kia model has ECS as standard.
Edited by: RichieD76

·
Registered
187 Posts
Yep agree too, if you are going to buy one of the cheapest cars on the market and you expectsuperbhandling. Then spend more money. Like i said i thought it handled well, for what the car is. A little city carthat ischeap to buy and cheap to run

·
Registered
234 Posts
Think the starting issues is with the 1.0 (getting software update soon) not the 1.25 the latter would be my choice as it's probably as economical in the real world and has more than enough power,
It's a fine smooth & quite engine in my Rio.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have a picanto 1 with the 1.0 litre engine. Its a great little car for the money. I have had cold start problems but with software update imminent this should be sorted soon. This is my first kia but probably wont be my last as i am impressed with the car as a whole.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers Armac08 & Kevvo, good to hear. I noticed the other post re fixing the cold start problems - nice to see Kia taking comments seriously.

·
Registered
15 Posts
RichieD76 said:
I think the most important thing to think about it its a road car... If your going to be driving it to the point where you depend on the ESC all the time...then your an idiot!Ifanyone needs to be judging A KIA PICANTO!!!! on its understeer/oversteer caracteristics...they should have there licence revoked.
The way in whichESC reacts should not be a reason to not buy a car. We've done without ESC for the last 100yrs after all. If everyone paid attension to the road and there surroundings there wouldnt be a needfor electronic trickery! I wouldnt say the steering is "poor" its just different. Its like people comparing cars back in the 80's when power steering came out. There were crys of little feel through the wheel. You soon get used to it. Just to correct you though Jukia... EVERY kia model has ECS as standard.
I don't think anyone has said they're going to drive around depending on the ESC all the time.
The fact is that Kia advertise in the brochure that the car is equipped with it and I don't think it unreasonable to expect it to work properly.
As you say it is a road car and the ESC should help drivers cope with an emergency.
The fact that it can't seem to cope with a high speed swerve is very worrying because that is precisely the senario when you would need it most; wet motorway, stray lorry wheel, pedestrian in the carrigeway, dead animal, live animal ( all of which I have experienced over the years ).
I consider myself fortunate that I descided to play with mine off road and at low speed in the snow, at least I know what to expect. A genuine emergency is a rotten time to find out that it isn't very good.
My main gripe however is that Kia have put it on and we have paid for it !.
Perhaps Kia could look into a software upgrade for the ESC and while they're at it, do one for the useless HAC which on my car works about 10% of the time.

·
Registered
187 Posts
<div style="text-align: left;">I had to drive to Gatwick a fewSundaysago in the snow, how do i know if my
ESC was working? Is it a miracle thing thatsproutswings and flies you out of danger? I am puzzled, does it squertsuper glueto the tyres to make you stike to the road? Or is it just anaide, nothing more and not the be all and end all. I drove in the worst road conditions around, did i do it by using my ESC? no, i drove like i would drive in those conditions in any car and did not notice or think about the ESC.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Sorry for my typos, What i forgot to add, is how bad does one have to drive before you notice the ESC is not working? Or is it working but people think its a miracle aide that gives them full control. Be all and end all even top end cars crash and they have all these gadgets and aids, at a higher spec and cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
my front wheel spins extreamly easily, when i leave my drive! but the throttle needs very gentle management as do the brakes

·
Registered
15 Posts
Dustyjoe said:
Sorry for my typos, What i forgot to add, is how bad does one have to drive before you notice the ESC is not working? Or is it working but people think its a miracle aide that gives them full control. Be all and end all even top end cars crash and they have all these gadgets and aids, at a higher spec and cost.
Exactly, you've hit the nail right on the head Dustyjoe. People do think it's a miracle aid, and I have driven cars whereby it is, in that it is virtually impossible to obtain plough on understeer or oversteer, such is the speed that these system can and do react.
My point is though, whereas you and I probably don't need electric trickery to get out of a situation, and we drive so as not to see the flashing orange light, up and coming new drivers are sold on the idea that these systems are infallible. Would you believe that most driving tests that are undertaken nowdays do not include an emergency stop! why? because all the modern cars have abs on them and the pupil only has to stand on the brakes secure in the knowledge that the car will pull up, regardless of surface conditions in a straight line and under control. As there is no longer any skill involved then the examiners see no point in testing the pupil on it. No wonder the yoof of today can't afford insurance.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts