Kia Owners Club Forum banner

Erratic fuel gauge

35K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  1408 
#1 ·
My fuel gauge has a mind of its own, I know there is half tank left , and will suddenly show less than 1/4 , slowly creeps up to half over half an hours driving. Even dropped to zero with warning light coming on.Please help.

See less See more
#2 ·
The sender unit is easy to get to under the rear seat, its on the side of the fuel strainer and may need cleaning. You could first try pulling the electric connector on the top cover and cleaning the contacts may be lucky.

#3 ·
This is the strainer, you can not see the sender on this photo but its on the side there is a float and a wire arm that goes to the sliding resistor that give the fuel level. You need care removing it but its not too bad.

#6 ·
The old grey matter has been working. Had to replace the fuel filter 2 weeks ago due to blockage.If I now have a dirty sender unit as well, could these be a warning of fuel tank lining disintegrating?
How do I check?

#8 ·
Just took out strainer, easy enough but had real hot under the collar moments with the four lugs to open the casing. Any tips on doing this the easy way? (for future reference)Found about half a teaspoon of thick gunk, but no flakes. Strainer material clean.Thinking of cleaning the strainer every so often and keeping a spare fuel filter in the car just in case. Hoping the problem will eventually sort itself out. Bad idea??

#9 ·
I had the same problem with the lugs thought they were going to break and not sure where to push on them. Looks like your tank is not too bad and your idea of regular inspections should avoid any nasty surprises when towing. Mine had a lump of gunk in it as well as the flakes, think this must be something in the diesel that just clumps together over time the paint flakes are a more worrying thing though but not a problem for you. Have you checked the fuel sender?

#10 ·
Thanks for your help Shaz.Sender seemed clean, fuel gauge behaving at present, hoping that cleaning the contact points sorted that problem.
Can't help this comment. Expat South African(14 years) love rugby. Well done England beating New Zealand, best game I've watched for many years !! Swing low.

Sorry.

#11 ·
thanks for this advice, i have starting issues, when i first bought the car last yr it fired on the first turn of the key, today its a 4 second wait.after a filter change i'm presuming that the inlet into the valve in the tank may be slightly clogged. the above information has just confimed the location of the sender.

thanks........ martyn.

#13 ·
When you lift up the rear seat there is an inspection cover held down with 4 screws remove this. Under that is a plate with one electrical connector and two pull off fuel pipes remove these. The cover is held down with 6 small bolts with screw heads in them mine were rusty and needed freeing up remove these. Then lift out the fuel filter / sender unit carefully, have something like a washing up bowl to stand it in when its out as it will still have fuel in it. Then check the float and wiper arm on the sender resistor slide.

#16 ·
No, When I first open the inspection door in the floor, I see the unit with pipes and wires on top of it. Around the top of the unit is a one inch wide, flexible rubber ring. I'll try stretching it off. The bolts to remove unit, must be under it. Sure appreciate the feedback.

#17 ·
My '05 Sorento EX 3.5 does not have the 6 bolts to remove the unit from tank top. After removing the rubber protective ring there is a tubular ring w/ about 9, 1/8" holes in it where I thought the 6 bolts should be. Can't tell if there is some sort of snap ring under that or not.Still trying to change that float(dealer $83)

#20 ·
Thanks, Shaz. When I find out how to remove the unit from tank top (no bolts or screws) your pic will still be helpful and my float is probably similar to yours. Mine appears to be held on with some sort of a tubular ring or maybe a snap ring under that??? Thanks, again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.