Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK 1st post on the forum so be gentle

Well the wife has a 59 plate Cee'd just called me at work to tell me that the EPS light came on while she was going round a roundabout and that steering became hard. she pulled over and then stopped and started the engine and its all good again.

Now I'm guess EPS means electronic power steering and that its stopped working. My question is do any of you guys know of any common causes for this that I can have a look at before I get it plugged into a diagnostic device to look for anything. Its still under its 7 year warranty so that's making me feel a little better

Strange how these things happen as last week I was looking at possibly swapping my focus ST (5 cylinder one) for a Pro Cee'd GT.

Cheers in advance for any help

Si

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Hi Simon, and welcome to you (and the wife) to the forums. Hopefully someone with a ceed, or who has knowledge of this problem, will be along soon. Sounds like a dealer job, if you have not got a code reader.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hi ive had my EPS light come on too. My car is a 2009 ceed 1.6 crdi ecodynamics. My steering feels ok the only thing different is when the key is in the ignition you can still turn the steering wheel as if the ignition was switched on. I am going to Kia dealer in the morning but i have no Kia service history ive ownrd the car for one year and only have the most recent service receipt done by my local mechanic and no proper Kia service history. Fingers crossed there will be some warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, first time on the forum,

Anyone had this checked out by a KIA dealer?

I'm taking my 2014 Kia Ceed 1.6CRDi in tomorrow to be looked at.

Shortly following starting the engine, when going to pull away, I lost power steering and the EPS, brake and ABS lights all lit up. I rolled the car back into the parking space and turned the engine off. On restarting the engine all was well and I drove some 20 miles back home.

A few hours later the same day half way through my journey to the local shops the "handbrake" light and ABS light come on. There was no noticeable impact upon performance of the engine or brakes. Again on arriving at the shops, turning off the engine and turning it back on the warning lights disappeared.

I have checked the brake fluid level and it is just short of max (as it always has been since new). I suspect this is an electrical fault (corroded wire or dodgy connection perhaps?). Anyway, hopefully all will be revealed tomorrow. I biggest concern is the power steering. I don't want that to fail on a roundabout or busy junction!

I'll update tomorrow afternoon once I hear back from the dealer.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the light issue my wife had no longer seems to occur after the ECU update they did if that helps, the technician said it was a fix in the latest software for the car. I was a little dubious but its not cropped up since it was updated

si

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everyone

I'm new here too. I have had 2 issues with my EPS since April 2016. April we experienced a EPS failure while taking a bend. Turned the car off and on again and it went back to normal. This happened again before I could get the car in but repeated the turn off turn on step and all was fine. Kia replaced the steering column and bar a few hiccups all was fine until yesterday (15/08/2016).

While parallel parking the car I had a total EPS failure, again. I turned the wheel to get closer to the curb and had a grinding clank in full lock and the EPS light came on. This is a 3 month old steering column. Needless to say the wife and I are a little concerned about this. The car was recovered to my Kia dealer and I know it will need replaced again.

I read on an earlier forum discussion that when there is a component failure on the steering column it can result in lights that are not associated to the EPS system coming on.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wifes car had been fine after they updated its software but it occurred again last month. booked in and they checked it over could find no fault. Printed out the logs and could not see any errors (weird I would think an ESP fault would log). They then took the power steering apart and cleaned all connections and then refitted in case of an issue in a connection. then tested the readings fomr each position of the steering to ensure it was right. no issues found. Warranty expires in December this year and I have said whats going to happen if it occurs outside of this. they said they would try and look at it as a goodwill gesture but would have to ask Kia Uk for this when it occurs. but its been no where but Kia for work and servicing and MOT'ing so they said should be fine

1 - 8 of 8 Posts