Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. A couple of days ago i've bought a Kia Sorento 2012 kx3 auto 2.2 diesel 4wd.
I knew it from the start that the starter motor is gone so i have bought a new one.Mind you, when i bought the car,car would not start.
Fitted a new starter,the same problem.
Now,i have tried to turn the engine by hand and i can turn it,but only a little bit,i can not make a full revolution,i can only turn it a little bit and after that it feels like something is blocking it,i can not turn it at all.
Car is only got 30.000 miles on the clock.
I can see the camshaft whilst turn the engine and the camshaft moves.Both of them.
Any advice ? Where to start ?
Many thanks

·
Super Moderator
2,636 Posts
Well a diesel will have high compression, so not being able to turn over by hand may not mean anything.

I would be looking to the battery to start with and make sure it has power. Then work your way down the wiring to the starter motor.
Also check the earth straps & tightness of battery connections.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
The resistance to turning by compression should have a spongy feel to it. If you come up against a sudden hard stop then there might be a mechanical reason.

When you try to crank it on the starter what exactly happens? Any noises? Does the engine try to turn at all?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts