Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a three years old Kia Picanto 1.00 never missed a beat until now!
Moved car earlier today no problem, then tried to start it later and engine turns over belt wizzing round in engine bay, but will not start. I do not think it is firing but I am no expert. Plenty of petrol.

Have wash it but only with bucket and sponge as normal could water be in something. Any ideas please.

·
Registered
3,515 Posts
not sure about that year of car but on the older ones the immo light is usually on with the ignition on,and if the immo light is flashing it is key not recognised, also on the older ones the pickup coil is a known fault right across the range, easy diy job,

·
Registered
971 Posts
Welcome to the kia forums Pamela. It does not happen very often but if your car had been moved just to clean and then left the next time you start it may Flood. If you go and try again it will probably start.
The cars today have automatic chokes and you should not press accelerator till firing.
If however you think engine may have flooded 2 choices leave for 1/2hr. Or Plant foot to floor hold there turn engine over for 30 seconds to see if it starts to fire. Hope this is problem if it is simple do not run car for less than 5 minutes.
Jeff

·
Registered
271 Posts
Few years ago I reversed my Micra on the drive to clean it, I only had it running for less than a minute but after cleaning it a few hours after it wouldn't start.
Turned out starting it cold then switching off nearly straight away flooded the plugs hence no spark.
Quite common on k10 Micras to do this, just remove spark plugs for a quick clean then it'll start again.
Same thing could have happened to your Picanto.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
Very common problem over a wide range of cars. Once started its best to let the car run for a minute to clear residual fuel and to get a little heat into the engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks chaps you were all right, plugs flooded.
Left car over night hoping petrol would evaporate, but it did not
still would not start this morning. Looked at plugs and they now have little coils on top! (When did that happen?)
So bottled out at taking plugs out, not sure what harm I might do, so had to ring the RAC and get rescued.

Message from expert it happens all the time! do not start up and switch off minimum until choke is off! Don't think I will need telling again

Pam x

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,
I'm a newbie here, wondered if I should start a new thread but then found this one which appeared to resemble my problem. My wife's 61 reg Picanto 1.25 has,99% of the time, started instantly in all weathers, cold or hot start. However a couple of times it has failed to fire up from cold after ages of cranking. On each occasion I eventually just managed to get it to splutter into life by flooring the accelerator. I realised afterwards that on both occasions, it had been started up the previous day for just a few seconds to move the car, something we very rarely do. I don't think my wife had touched the accelerator before turning it over.
So this thread suggests that running it for a few seconds like this can cause the engine to flood, however should it do this, and is there no fix for it? I've owned countless cars down the decades but never noticed this before on any other car. It is a bit of a nuisance.
ThanksEdited by: Felix64

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just adding to this post for others in the future as I had a similar issue this week and finally found the cause with my kia picanto 2011, it was the chip inside the key fob which gives signal to the immobiliser which had fallen off inside my house when I dropped the key and it had opened up the housing, and I thought it was a piece of plastic that had broken of from the housing however it was a small chip, ended up changing battery, calling AA who thought I had misfueled the car with diesel and they flushed the fuel from the car where they later found a fault in with immobiliser system when they run the diagnostics. So the engineer told me that the key fob gives a signal to the immobiliser and if its faulty it won't start either the fob or the immobiliser system which later made me think that the bit of plastic was probably the chip causing the issue. Luckily I had it on my desk so I put it back inside the key fob turned the car on and it worked. The chip is very tiny looks like a 555 timer chip without legs and a corner is cut at and angle and it sits on the top right corner of the fob behind the main circuit board under a small white plastic bracket. [It's called the transponder ignition chip.]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts