Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a heads up.
On Saturday, whilst pushing on up a hill the yellow Engine warning light flashed on and off. The car seemed to be running a bit unevenly.

when I started it up later, the light came on and stayed on for a short trip.
Took it to the dealers on Monday and told them that:-

1. Warning light was permanently on.
2. Car felt like it was running on only 2 cylinders.
3. No power on acceleration.
4. Ticking over above the usual 800 rpm.
5. I checked that the fuel filler cap was on tight, having seen a thread here.

Anyway, they diagnosed the problem.
Anyone want to guess?

2019 Sportage GT Line (Petrol)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
There’s a clue, it felt like it was running on two cylinders.

Two Spark plugs have gone pop

But, guess what? They are on back order because they can only use the Kia specific/branded ones or the warranty is invalid. So, they are coming from Belgium in 5 days. So, I’m limping around with 2 cylinders until then.

I got a lift back from the dealers and the guy said to me, the Sportage is so popular, we have ever spare part in stock 😂
Oh and for fitting and diagnosing the garage want £95 for 4 spark plugs. 🙄 They’re consumables, of course.

·
Registered
5,229 Posts
KIA dealers have to use KIA branded parts, but I would buy a couple in Halfords to get my car running in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
"So they are coming from Belgium"! Hope they are quicker than some Ink Cartridges that I ordered from Canon UK. I've been waiting 41 days as Canon says that they are tied up because of Brexit. I get regular messages with the same comment from them.

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
"So they are coming from Belgium"! Hope they are quicker than some Ink Cartridges that I ordered from Canon UK. I've been waiting 41 days as Canon says that they are tied up because of Brexit. I get regular messages with the same comment from them.
Wait until your cartdidges arrive!!!! My pal ordered an item for £142 from Belgium, when it was delivered he had to pay a further £48. Ouch! Apparently it was import tax, extra delivery charges and VAT.

·
Registered
357 Posts
i would of expected the plugs to be covered under warranty,:cry: they are not due to be changed until the 4th year service and youve also not done a high mileage to wear them out. ( i think they should be good for about 30 000 miles)

·
Registered
2020 Sportage GT-Line CRDi
1,435 Posts
i would of expected the plugs to be covered under warranty,:cry: they are not due to be changed until the 4th year service and youve also not done a high mileage to wear them out. ( i think they should be good for about 30 000 miles)
The warranty states spark plugs are covered, but only for the first two years.

·
Registered
554 Posts
What would cause two sparks plugs to fail at same time?

assuming it’s not that common for spark plugs to fail as not seen any other posts about this being an issue?

·
Registered
357 Posts
The warranty states spark plugs are covered, but only for the first two years.
View attachment 9315
I stand corrected ! but suprised.:confused:you could shorten life of clutch or brakes by bad driving techniques, drive belts collect debris or going through a flood would shorten its life, wipers get damage from grit or ice But spark plugs !!

·
Registered
145 Posts
What would cause two sparks plugs to fail at same time?

assuming it’s not that common for spark plugs to fail as not seen any other posts about this being an issue?
Seems very unlikely, I'm thinking that this is a misdiagnosis. I'll admit to being unfamiliar with Kia petrol engines, do they have individual or shared coil packs?

Surely driving around with two cylinders not firing will damage the cat?

·
Registered
2017 GT Line S 1.6 Petrol AWD
44 Posts
Seems very unlikely, I'm thinking that this is a misdiagnosis. I'll admit to being unfamiliar with Kia petrol engines, do they have individual or shared coil packs?

Surely driving around with two cylinders not firing will damage the cat?
individual coil packs I think and in 40 years of driving petrol cars I've never known 2 plugs to go at the same time, in fact I've only ever had one plug fail and that was tracking across to the head due to a faulty cap.
As you state that unburnt fuel into the cat can't be doing it any good. I certainly wouldn't be driving it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts