Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Nipped down the road today in my little '06 Picanto. Got to a roundabout and put my foot down to go when the engine starting to stutter (giving the feeling of kangeroo-ing) as I pulled away and made some really funny noises, accompanied by the engine check light flashing on and off. Got to the other side of the roundabout (just) and all was fine, turned a corner and, again, it began stuttering and sounding like dog.

Pulled up in carpark and turned radio, heaters etc off and sat there for about 10 minutes waiting for the engine to warm up. When I went to drive home - all was fine.

Serviced last year and rarely driven (two days ago it had a motorway blast) this car is low-mileage (12,000) and I've never had any problems with it - sailing through all MOTS. I know the rules of "don't rag it when the engine is warming up" but I've never had that before??

Does anyone have any ideas? Planning to do a long journey in it on Tuesday and I don't want to get stuffed somewhere!

Thanks in advance.

BTW - I've checked oil (fine) and water (fine) and yes, there is fuel in it lol

·
Registered
111 Posts
couple of questions... was it in the rain or shortly after ,did you drive through any puddles? ,bit of a long shot those two but always worth asking , my money is on a bit of water in the fuel and this has contaminated your fuel supply, was the fuel level in your tank quite low when you gave it a bit of welly ?,you may have pulled up some thing other than petrol from the bottom of the tank( water crud, any detritus really!) the fuel filter is a first to change , the fact it cleared may well be the clue if it had stayed rough running then its a different game, this smacks of fuel contamination (always a favourite when we have had a lot of rain as the petrol stations keep all their fuel undefrground and the rainwater gets in .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It has been absolutely heaving it down for the last 2 days and the fuel light has just come on. Here's hoping it's one of them!!! Thanks for coming back to me.

·
Registered
111 Posts
yes all making sense now, dont think its the rain thats the problem ive read on one of the forums i think its a yank one there was a guy had identical problem as you have described and his fuel level was low low, this gave him the same symptoms as you have its also worth noting from what ive read (but am not 100% on )the fuel pump is cooled by the fuels presence in the tank so not much fuel not much cooling then you will get problems if the fuel pump overheats and trips out ,it may come back online as it cools but in the meantime you will have conked out bigstyle! run a couple of full tanks through it and you may not get any more greif but as i said a fuel filter may be in order ,also no more letting the light come on its bad practice to let it get that low !

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know - doesn't normally get that low - just so happened that, on the way back from the trip, it was ages until I found a petrol station!!!! Grrrr.

Thanks for advice.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Always worth keeping the tank full if you can afford it, as it stop condensations forming which off cause can then get into the bottom of the tank and fuel lines.
A good blow out should do it the world of good.

Bob

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I am off work for 10 days now and it's going to have runs every day. The longest being a 2 hour trek (each way) on Tuesday. Taking my AA cover stuff just in case though!!!

Mind you, that's if I make it to the petrol station now the light has come on :(

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi All

My partners Picanto has done this since new. Its a 54 1.0 gs and we took it back to Kia on numerous occasions. They changed leads plugs etc but still does it. Always when damp and cold usually accompanied by the fan belt screeching. Now for the past 6 months or so this light has been permentaly on and only flashes when its cold and damp and shuddering. Have just taken it to my local garage and they have said the sensors is showing something to do with camshaft. The car has now done 78k miles and as I have not had the last few services done by Kia they have suggested I have a cam belt change. They also suggest having the sensor changed. Not sure that is the answer....

·
Registered
16 Posts
My engine is also started behaving in similar manner.
It might be now unfamous Crankshaft Pulley Bolt problem or something else, dont know yet.
Just want to if you managed to solve your problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts