Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi just after some advice/opinions my girlfriends kia ceed 1.6 disel recently had its 3rd year(technically4th) year service its got 30000 on the clock and stoneacre grimsby put a cracked sump plug in the sump so unbeknown to us a lot of oil leaked over night and by the time we got 2 mins from work the oil light had flickered on during breaking and again around the next corner it then came on and stayed on by the time she noticed prob 3 secs and checked mirrors etc to see it was safe to stop (light on for max of 5 secs) the engine stalled. after i had recovered the car via towing to the mother in laws and explained the problem to stoneacre the reluctantly agreed to recover the vehicle and provide a courtesy car. however after haveing the vehicle for 45 mins they had apparently fixed the problem and tested engine by starting it and leaveing it running and as a courtesy for are inconveniance they stripped and cleaned the brakes all within 45 mins, i was just after opinions on weather u feel an engine that stopped due to haveing no oil left in the sump mite need a little more looking at than refilling and starting and saying it sounded ok, should i be demanding them to strip it and check the internalls are ok and should i be takeing this further as they are saying that doing the brakes is enough compensation for are troubles and that they cant offer and refund on the service or anything else????<div id="isChromeWebToolbarDiv" style="display:none">

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
You will probably find the ECU shut the engine down so that there would not be a seizure or damage to bearings etc. The time the light was on is very small so I would not think there would be any damage as oil is still on the running surfaces.
When oil and filter changes are done on some cars the oil light is on for a few seconds untill the filter fills up and the correct oil pressure is obtained.
If it sounds ok and goes ok and there is no increase in oil consumption then all is well.
Drive more worry less.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Cracked sump plug? pull the other one it's got bells on!!

Either they overtightened the sump plug and cracked the sump, or they left it loose.

Oil light on for any length of time is bad news, it really is the last ditch attempt with VERY low oil pressure, I'm gonna guess your turbo won't last much longer, and I have no doubt damage has been done elsewhere in the engine.

Cleaned your brakes as compo? What the hell did they do for the service then??

I would really be most unhappy in your situation, they have ballsed up and should be nice to you!!

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Thats right murphwiz put the sh*ts up em

Really 5secs is not going to run the bearing surfaces dry especially at low rpms

·
Registered
41 Posts
Being old school, once the oil pressure warning light is on, the damage is done. I have no idea what pressure, lamps these days aretriggeredat, in the old days it was 5psi or below. I would suggest and it is only my opinion without examining the car in depth that engine damage will have occurred.If it was my vehicle I would be absolutelyfuriousand would want another engine. I would not be interested in a strip down and "look".
Very sorry if this is not the news you would want to hear. It is no good simply making the engine "oil tight" again, refilling with oil and saying it "sounds alright".
My opinion only, I have no axe to grind but get vocal when individuals suffer at others incompetence.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh come on guys you will give this person a heart attack

The oil light was on for a few minutes the chances of damage are so low it is not worth discussing.

Clearly the dealer is at fault (they did not tighten or even replace the sump plug), so an official complaint is the way to go with a copy to Kia.

But don't forget the 7 year warranty
as long as the servicing is done in line with Kia's recommendations-no problems

Relax be happy

·
Registered
Picanto 1.0T GDi GT-Line
1,120 Posts
Being a former motor mechanic trained and qualified in the 70's, and still dabbling with classic cars, I would agree with the 'don't worry too much' point of view. There iszero oil pressure every timean engine is starteduntil the oil gallery and oilways are pressurised by the oil pump, and following a change of oil filter the engine runs for even longer without oil pressure whilst that is filled. As for the pistons and bores they are'splash' lubricated by the big end bearings in the crankshaft so again, until the oil pressure has built up following starting an engine, there is no lubrication.If the engine stalled after only 5 seconds following the oil warning light coming on then it must have been the ECU taking over as Davy said. Embarrassing for the garage but they won't do any more as the engine is running without problems.
Keep an eye on the dipstick for a while but don't worry.
Phil

·
Registered
86 Posts
The VW diesels that I have owned would auto shut down on low oil pressure if the engine revs were above a certain level, (I think about 1,000rpm) and a buzzer would sound, according to the manual. I didn't try it. As the engine stopped quickly there should not be any damage.
Edited by: deeps

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I would eat my hat if there is any damage to the engine after 5 secs of oil light on. I have serviced many cars and some did take a while for the oil light to extinguish after a oil and filter change.
There is always oil on all bearing surfaces long after the oil light comes on but as long as you are not high reving the engine all will be ok.
Like I say drive more worry less.

Edited by: davy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts