Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, reporting back on progress today, with battery fully charged the engine was still cranking over enthusiastically but without result. The AA got involved and the very helpful patrol guy did a diagnostic check and came up with ’unknown error’....a google search of the fault code narrowed it down to ‘immobiliser fault’.....and he agreed that this was consistent with the symptoms, we had a chat about the immobiliser system, now, maybe I could have picked him up wrong but as I understand it, the system is comprised of.... the ignition key, the immobiliser antenna (on the ignition barrel) and the electronic immobiliser unit itself. I have a spare ignition key in the flat and the guy suggested trying it in the first instance as the least expensive option. if that doesn’t work, probably the next move is to replace the antenna, followed by the immobiliser unit itself. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Another option we discussed was remapping the ECU and bypassing the immobiliser completely. We towed the car to a friendly garage nearby, they are not going to do anything till I try the spare key. I will report back in due course. Does anyone have any ideas? At the moment I am at a loss as to what to do next. Cheers, A.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts