Kia Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi again, the car hasn’t moved for about a fortnight now, I have ordered an “immobiliser antenna” from the main dealer as that was what both the AA man and the local garage manager diagnosed as faulty, the new genuine part will be available to collect on Tue. This morning (in the rain) I tried to remove the steering column shroud to access the ignition barrel and the antenna connectors, it‘s almost off, but it looks like I might have to remove the steering wheel to get to a couple of screws, has anyone done this Job? are there any issues with the airbag I should be aware of? Thankyou for any advice. Alan.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I had a similar issue recently on 2.0 crdi & it wasnt the antenna was the problem but the connector to the antenna had gone high resistance. Unpluging the connector & plug back in was enough to bring the resistance down from 100's of ohms to 7.8 ohms. My problem was a no start. The immobiliser had locked out ghe high pressure pump through the pressure metering valve on the pump. All sorted now. Flick the steering height adjustment lever to get more access to the screws.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It would aid readability of you were to add to the existing thread rather than starting a new one. I certainl will not be hunting back and forth to get a complete.
Sorry turnup, i thought that too, how do I add to an existing thread? Do I just hit the reply tab on my original thread?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes you just reply to it
Ah right, thanks, ok today I decided to remove the (hopefully faulty) antenna from the steering column. The two part shroud/cowl came away with a bit of wriggling (a slight turn of the steering wheel revealed the two final screws) at last, I could see the antenna. There was a screw at the top securIng the antenna ring to the ignition barrel but it was very difficult to undo, then I noticed a small plastic tab holding the indicator lever assembly to the column, once it was pulled off the antenna was easy to remove. I disconnected the multi plug and cleaned the terminals, just in case that was the problem, but no difference. i wanted to take the old unit to the dealer to check it matched the new one but the blue coloured cables from the assembly could not be detached easily from the column, so I decided to pick up the new part at this point anyway. The replacement part only has two wires attached which should make the job simple, (so no need to remove the blue cable from the column anyway) now back at the car, the two ‘simple to fit’ wires turn out to be anything but, or rather, removing the old wires from the multiplug is very tricky, I fiddled about with tiny screwdrivers and paper clips but they refuse to come out easily, it was cold, raining and getting dark so I have left it for another day. Any tips on getting these connectors out? At least the doors still lock with the remote so hopefully that is a good sign.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Ah right, thanks, ok today I decided to remove the (hopefully faulty) antenna from the steering column. The two part shroud/cowl came away with a bit of wriggling (a slight turn of the steering wheel revealed the two final screws) at last, I could see the antenna. There was a screw at the top securIng the antenna ring to the ignition barrel but it was very difficult to undo, then I noticed a small plastic tab holding the indicator lever assembly to the column, once it was pulled off the antenna was easy to remove. I disconnected the multi plug and cleaned the terminals, just in case that was the problem, but no difference. i wanted to take the old unit to the dealer to check it matched the new one but the blue coloured cables from the assembly could not be detached easily from the column, so I decided to pick up the new part at this point anyway. The replacement part only has two wires attached which should make the job simple, (so no need to remove the blue cable from the column anyway) now back at the car, the two ‘simple to fit’ wires turn out to be anything but, or rather, removing the old wires from the multiplug is very tricky, I fiddled about with tiny screwdrivers and paper clips but they refuse to come out easily, it was cold, raining and getting dark so I have left it for another day. Any tips on getting these connectors out? At least the doors still lock with the remote so hopefully that is a good sign.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.