Kia Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just upgraded from a Diesel Mk1 (2011) to a Diesel Mk2 (2016) Soul. The battery always started first time and within a few seconds on the Mk1, even after little use and cold weather. On the Mk2 it takes around 10 seconds of trying before the engine finally starts. I always wait for the glowplug lamps to go out and the welcome message to disappear on the console.

I'm planning on taking the battery out and charging it overnight to see if this helps (if I can figure out which bolts to remove).

The mileage is 25k and the 1,2 and 3 year services were done at Kia, but the last one was a Ford garage.

Just wondering if this is common on the Mk2, and if the glowplugs could be faulty? Should they be replaced at one of the services (I couldn't see glowplugs mentioned in the service schedules in the handbook)?

Thanks for any helpful replies.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Can you not charge the battery in situ? Much less trouble and safer too.

Doubt that glow plugs are a routine change item. It is possible to test them for resistance and check that power is getting to them.

Might also be a fuelling issue but harder to test.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you not charge the battery in situ? Much less trouble and safer too.

Doubt that glow plugs are a routine change item. It is possible to test them for resistance and check that power is getting to them.

Might also be a fuelling issue but harder to test.
I thought about that, but I don't want to leave the bonnet up overnight (thieves, cats, weather etc!), and I don't think there would be room for the charger if the bonnet was closed. Seems safer to bring the battery inside and charge it.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Put the charger under the car and feed the wires up? Charge it in daytime?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts